Crowned republic

>crowned republic
>colonies and trade dominance across the Mediterranean and into the Black Sea
>based balistieri/crossbowmen

Anyone else here find it surreal that Genoa gets completely ignored by mainstream history? Is it literally just because Venice has 'muh canals'? Why should Genoa be neglected just because Venice is cool?

Anyone have anything interesting to share about the little republic that could? I'm trying to learn more.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=VY1rRlRWDq4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=genoa&f=false
opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/suche.php?thes=Genua
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Genoa is a poor man's Venice.

you want books?

>mfw when Genaboos cry about Venice getting all the love

Italy herself is vastly underrepresented in Anglo history which is more worried about attributing everything to non-Europeans then non-Anglo effecting European history.

t. Medieval 2

This inferiority complex you people have is so fucking bizarre. Where the fuck do you get these claims from? Why do you think that? Having a diminished position in the world is not the result of Anglo and/or Jewish manipulation you ridiculous man children.

they acidentaly incidentaly two thirds of the population of europe so after that some people politely ignore them

They're playable in mods famalam. Been that way for a while. And I got interested in Genoa from their presence in Constantinople and Caffa/Gothia for what it's worth. Pic related is what remains of their fortress in Sudak (located in modern day Crimea)
If you've got them. I've been digging through journals and the like but it's not great. Especially since my Italian & German are still garbage so I'm limited in my options. I'd really appreciate it.
It's true. I wonder how many people would even know Florence was a big deal if AssCreed never set a game there.

See that's an interesting angle. Obviously the plague didn't do shit to make people stop trading with Genoa at the time. Granted it's not 100% proven the plague came through them (some dispute the source being mongol corpse-missiles), but it'd be interesting to see whether or not people had a grudge once they figured it all out.

they didnt have intercontinental corpse missiles, someone had to bring it across two seas

but realy it would have spread one way or another

>ICCM
Kek mate. Bretty good.

In case you're not memeing, but I was referring to the corpses the Mongols reportedly shot over the Genoese walls during a siege of Caffa. Allegedly these bodies dispersed the plague to the city (including the merchants) causing them to spread it to Europe. It's always been a problem that this didn't seem to cause an outbreak IN Caffa at the time but who the hell knows. Sorry if you already knew all this! Just feel like I should've been clearer in the first place.

And I totally agree it would've gotten around at some point. Didn't a few relatively isolated places (trade wise) like Poland get by a little better during the death?

You know what you and Patrick Star have in common?

You both live under a rock.

books.google.com/books?id=VY1rRlRWDq4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=genoa&f=false
check out this on google books and there is a substantial portion discussing genoa and its rituals and festivals during the early modern period. there are several on scholarly essays (with useful citations, though most of the stuff cited are italian works) followed by extracts from primary sources on genoese rituals.

and heres some fresh pasta that i whipped up for you OP. It's all the english stuff i can find on genoa, along with some works in other languages (which is not as exhaustive, of course there's going to be a lot of works in italian i'm missing)

You're a scholar & a gentleman, user. People like you are what makes this board great. Thanks!

np. i've found more books to add to the list for you, but i've had to take that cool picture of genoa out :(

Florence gets a ton of love in Anglo-American history. It's pretty much synonymous with the Renaissance. Meanwhile, Venice, HRE, Habsburgs, Turks, and Byzantium gets ignored.

Everyone knows the pop culture version of Venice, to be fair. The actual republic You're right about HRE (including the Hapsburgs, sort of) and Byzantines/Ottomans are completely ignored. As are Milan and Sicily except as places that get fought over by more important people.

Really the renaissance in general is painted in painfully broad strokes as far as European history is concerned (in the Anglosphere).

Typo. Meant to say that the actual Republic of Venice - it's culture/politics/etc - is really underrepresented.

not to mention genoa, milan, urbino, mantua, ferrara, lucca, savoy, siena, naples, pisa, bologne and sicily. switzerland, austria, hungary, bohemia, translyvania and croatia also have a huge absence of english scholarship. If any of the above are mentioned at all, its only in relation to art history and maybe something about warfare.

a lot of ottoman and byzantine english scholarship exists as compared to the subjects i've just mentioned. But even venice too, while it has a lot of scholarship, has a lot of absenses in the scholarhsip. For example, Florentine politics is covered thoroughly in a number of works, but venetian politics I've found has only one or two works focusing solely on the 1400 or 1500s. There is a bit of art and social history, but i find that there's only one definitive english book on each of these subjects, most of which were published in the 70s or 80s. Now, just becuase a book is old doesn't mean its outdated, but it's frustrating to see that there isn't more english historiography on venice where you see scholars build on the works of previous ones. This definitely exists more for florence. I partly suspect that Florentine studies gets more funding and venice has become a pop culture cliche. On top of that there's the miserable cultural turn in historiography, which has led to a dearth of political and social historians to revisit the old scholarship and revise it to account for new sources and theoretical approaches

bump

You probably know this but Columbus came from Genoa.

>Genoa gets completely ignored by mainstream history
>opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/suche.php?thes=Genua
>Matches: 1858
You faggot just have no idea how to properly look for literature.

OP here. Thanks for introducing me to that search engine (and the results). As I said my Italian and German are really subpar but we'll see where it leads.
Thanks, I did indeed :^)

You didn't make an argument

absolutely based. this deserves a bump so more people can see it