Mining PSU Questions

Howdy, I've seen some really cool cheap mining rigs where folks are putting 2 or 3 480s or 1070s into old workstations.

The question I have is are 6 pin to 8 pin adapters safe for plugging in two 1070s?

The PSU on a workstation I'm looking at is 875 watts but only has 6 pin connectors.

I haven't found a proper answer in regards to the safety for changing them to 8 pin so I can run some 1070s.

On that note, is there a difference between 8 pin and 6+2?

Thanks a million, boys.

Other urls found in this thread:

bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1955358.20
bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
pwsafe.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bumpoity

bamp

BAHMPU jojo

>If at all possible you should not use adapters, especially sata power adapters.
>If possible each video card should have it's own power line.

The 1070's, according to nice hash, draw 150 watts each. The mother board supplies some and the pin connector supplies some. They are both rated at a max limit. I cannot confirm but I think the max is 250 from any pci-e slot. If you can install afterburner and check your wattage. You just don't want to be pulling too much power out of a single cord. What can happen is that the card might spike or need watts and will draw power and if it can't get it from one connection it'll get it from another. Check and see what the 8 and 6 pin's rated max and see if it works.

>I cannot confirm but I think the max is 250 from any pci-e slot AND pin connector together

>6 pin to 8 pin adapters safe for plugging in two 1070s

If the 2 1070's are using different power rails, then yes. Each cable is regulated to have its own voltage. If you are asking if you can put two 1070s on the same cable, then no

>is there a difference between 8 pin and 6+2?

none, they are the same thing

The workstation has two seperate 6 pin cables. So I would be able to put an adapter to 8 and be safe?

How could I go about powering a third if I was so inclined to?

>So I would be able to put an adapter to 8 and be safe?

So, the only difference between a 8 and 6 pin is the number of ground connections. The same voltage is delivered to both. The 6pins are regulated for 75Watts and the 8 pins are regulated for 150Watts, but in reality, both should deliver the same wattage if using a 6 to 8 pin adapter. The only time it is a concern is if you have an older PSU or a cheap PSU. This is where it concerns me, because i dont know how you have a 875W psu with only 2x 6 pins. There is no way you would ever hit 875 watts with only 2 6 pin connectors. Like at all. unless that thing has like 50 SATA power connectors. So just from what i am reading. it should be safe

>How could I go about powering a third if I was so inclined to?

you wouldn't. the only connectors you have left are the molex and sata, and those arent safe to draw 150Watts, even though you can rig a triple adapter system to do it.

It's a Dell T5500 with multiple pins. i believe it is 2x6 and 2x8 for the 2 CPUs. What I have read in broken english on the bitcointalk forums is that you can use the 8 pin on a third video card as the refurbished workstations usually only have 1 CPU.

>Dell T5500

Man, that is an old box. I was mining on that box previously, until i upgraded from 1060's to 480's, because it does not support uefi.

yes those boxes are suited for 2 cpus, and a sata raid, so that is why they have such high wattage psu's.

As far as i know, i dont know how you would re-purpose an 8 pin CPU connector to an 8 pin GPU connector. the CPU connectors have 4x12V rails, while the GPU has 3x12v rails. As far as i know, there are no adapters to convert that

I'd honestly be happy with just two, already have a dual 1080ti rig purring away.

Can you try and decrypt this dude:

"yes it's for the 8 pin cpu plug.Mine have only 2x6 peg, the 2x8 are the motherboard plugs for the cpu(BGNing CPU 8Pin)."

bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1955358.20

there's the thread if you need to delve deeper.

>BGNing CPU 8Pin to PEG 6+2Pin

wow, had no idea that thing even existed.

Yeah, he is saying that he uses the CPU power on his GPU using that adapter he got on Amazon. The adapter has 2 8pin GPU ends, and theoretically it COULD support 2 GPUs off that alone. From last i could remember, an 8pin CPU cable is capable of 300Ws, however i have never used that type of adapter. Either way, are you using some PCI adapter for that box? i remember it only have 2 pci-e slots.

Just to add on. This is what it looks like you have to work with:

1 free 8 pin CPU Power (336W to two PCI-e 8 pin 150W adapters)

2 free 6 pin GPU Power (regulated for 75W each, but can pull 150W each, if you use a 6 to 8 pin adapter)

which means, theoretically, you can power

(stupid thing posted before i finished)

which means, theoretically, you can power 4 GPUs, IF the PSU is atleast of bronze quality.

Keep in mind PSU manufactors will sometimes cheap out, and waste a lot of power and you wont get the full pull. I have used that box before and i remember it being an alright PSU, but i was using 1060s to mine instead of 1070s so i didnt have the power constraint you do.

The 875w is silver rated and I won't be throwing a third card in there til I see what the rig's pulling from the wall. I'd honestly be happy with a 10 dollar a day miner amid the other rigs I have in the works.

If you saw that guy's post he puts 4 GPUs, supposedly 1070s, in that t5500. Maybe he's just foreign and weird but it isn't uncharted territory at least.

Thanks for all the help, man.

Oh shit, might as well throw this in there. What is the most secure way to send mined coins to a wallet, be it Zcash or BTC?

The most secure way, is to use the Core wallet for Zcash, ETH, ETC, (not btc because GPU mining is pretty much impossible) or any coin. So go on their website and download them. I know that sucks because as of right now, the ETH wallet is like 30GB. The problem with Lightweight wallets, or hardware wallets, is that they build your wallet by ONLY downloading blocks with your address on it. Which means for every deposit from your mining will slow down your wallet over time.

I will repeat the obvious, just in case, but download the core wallet, get your address, test it out, if you can, by depositing something really small.

Once you verify it works, back it up. Delete the wallet (or download the wallet somewhere else) and verify that restoring the wallet works.

Once you do all that, mine to that address and look at your workers once a day. Each pool should have an email service that tells you when your rig goes down, but those sometimes dont work and i have lost a lot of money by not looking

Not a fan of Nicehash? Would I pay off my investment earlier mining Zcash, ETH, and ETC?

I like Nicehash, its a good miner. Its just my preference to use something else at the moment.

I also just recommend having the core wallet of any coin you plan on mining. Its the nicest place to keep it.

Hmmmm...it's a tough choice on what to mine. I think I may stick to Nicehash just to assuredly pay off the rigs over the next 100 days, then look into things differently come then.

What do you mine rather than pooling on Nicehash?

I use a Dual miner to Mine ETH and Sia at the same time. Both those coins are on Nanopool. I have been mining ETH for almost 2 years, but now its so expensive, and the difficulty is so high, that i might switch to nicehash if i get more profit. I am just an eternal ETH bag holder so i cant find the willpower to ever stop mining it.

If your main goal is to just pay off the GPU bill, then nicehash is the best way to do it. 1 1070 mining ETH alone would be about 24~ MH/s so two would equal 48 MH/s, so about 60 dollars a week. If Nicehash gets more USD a week than that, then stick with nicehash.

Any recommendations on core wallets for BTC? Exodus is at least very pretty.

Exodus is a lightweight wallet. The core wallets are the ones that make you download the entire blockchain (which i am assuming Exodus doesnt do, since they support like 8 coins).

But you can go ahead and use it, there is nothing technically wrong with using lightweight wallets. I mined to a Jaxx wallet for a year. Its just that if you do a crazy amount of transactions with those wallets, they will take longer to load over time. Exodus doesnt prohibit mining rewards (i cant find anything on their website that say not to). So you can go ahead and use it.

What would you use in the case of BTC? Hoping for some sage wisdom.

I would assume Bitcoin Core might be an obvious choice?

yeah the main websites of any coin have their own wallet, which I always recommend as the main place to hold your coins. So for BTC's sake, the Bitcoin core wallet on:

bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

is the best bet. The most common setup is this:

Find a core wallet that has the following:

1.) Open source
2.) Downloads the full block chain

Generate a strong password (google a password generator, they will generate extremely strong passwords that cannot be brute forced). I personally use pwsafe.org/

Keep in mind, these core wallets get big in size. Like i said, ETH alone is like 30GB. I dont even know BTCs at the moment.

When you actually want to trade those coins. Get another wallet like Exodus or something. Then move some of your BTC to that. because those are meant to be used as actual wallets to transfer stuff. They got nice looking UIs so you cant screw up.

Also some basic fact because ive had people freak out over this. The core wallet wont show your current balance until it downloads the latest block. So if you are 10k blocks behind, and you sent 1 BTC, wait for it to get to the latest block to see it.

I'll keep all this in mind, thanks for all the info. Any idea if RX470s are ever going to come back onto the damn market? I keep hearing backorders getting pushed further and further and it's driving me nuts.

>RX470s are ever going to come back onto the damn market?

Well the 500 series came out. So no, they wont restock any of those. But dont feel bad, Literally every AMD card since the 300 series has been constantly sold out since their announcement. I have the following setup:

4x 390's
8x 480's 8GB
4x 1060's 6GB.

AMD is so incompetent that they probably think people are actually playing games with their GPUs, so they restock slowly. All i can say is, DO NOT wait for a sale. If you want the cards now, buy them when they restock, and if you see them again on sale, then buy another one. I lost a lot of money in this regard, becuase if i bought all those 480's at the same time, i would have almost double the amount of eth right now.

I'll keep an eye out, here's to hoping.

Why did you chose 1060s, by the way? What kind of setup is that?

Older computers (like your T5500) do not support modern Motherboard features like UEFI. AMD cut costs for their 400 series by only supporting UEFI, and not Legacy. Nvidia is nice enough to support UEFI and legacy, so those 1060's are for my older boxes. Plus they are pretty cheap for the hash. I might have got the hashrate for the 1070's wrong.

the 1070 is 26 MH/s i think (i dont have one, my friend has one and i forgot what he said the hashrate was)

The 1060 is 23~ MH/s. The 1060 is like $250, while the 1070 is like $350, and i didnt think that the extra 4 hashrate was worth the extra 400 dollars (4 cards).

Fair point. If RXs stay as rare as they are, a 8 card 1060 rig sounds like good fun. 1070s in the t5500 make the most sense for me when constrained to only 2-3 cards and a limited wattage.

What are your returns looking like? Any plans of expanding to larger rigs?

Sorry for all the questions, I've always been quick to obsess over things that fascinate me.

My returns are looking like 0.45 ETH a day. So around $140 a day. I guess i never mentioned. I get free electricity. so that is all profit. I am administrator at a server lab, so i have a personal 10 servers, and i figured, why not just throw cards in there to mine.

Keep in mind, when i started mining, i could get like 2 or 3 ETH a day and i had like half those cards. ETH got so big so fucking fast, i am getting less and less ETH a day, but the price is going up so i am getting more USD a day. I am just sad i never bought ETH with money. I would be a millionaire. I have no real plans to expand, mostly because i dont have the space at the lab to put more cards. Maybe if my boss allows me to buy myself more servers.

ETH will eventually get to difficult to mine outside of those chinese mega-farms, right? Where'd you think to redirect your mining to after that?

Yeah, the ETH said that PoW will end early, if i recall correctly, so it might be impossible to mine within a year or two (or earlier, they are making moves). I might move to ZCash. But who knows what will happen by that time. A whole new coin might be the go-to to mine.

I do not know how ETC will hold up, but if ETH becomes unmineable then ill dual mine ETC with Sia or LBRY. No point in worrying about it now.

Interesting. I guess time will tell. Thanks for all the help, man.

my two cents on this subject is that it's simple supply and demand. there is a massive demand for mining gpu crypto, and hence there will be a supply. i agree, it may be zcash, dgb, one of many others, and more yet invented.