Why is the god of the old testament so much different then the god of the new testament?

Why is the god of the old testament so much different then the god of the new testament?

When the old testament speaks of god stepping in to slaughter people like after David took the census is that possibly just a way the Israelite's saw a tragedy as being?

Like did famine just hit the nation and they said god was angry with them? If so when is it ACTUALLY god stepping in for them?

What happens to all the people god slaughters or just die before Christ? Are they just doomed since they can no longer repent?

The difference between the old and new testament really irks me and they can't be separated because Jesus claimed to be one and the same as the god of those days.

Other urls found in this thread:

biblestudy.org/beginner/old-covenant-versus-new-covenant.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Easy, the New Testament is a book of falsehood by false prophet(s).

machaneaism

Beacause the Bible is collection of various books written through hundreds of thousands of years and the section which came to be called the New Testament represents a major cultural shift. Obviously this means a lot of inconsistencies are going to form.

I guess I could see that. But the man Jesus was seems incredible to me and a lot of evidence points to his existence.

Everything he spoke was profound and loving but it seems so strange in comparison to his pops.

Makes sense, but if I were to believe Jesus WAS the son of god/god himself then that must mean the old testament has some truth to it about gods intervention with the ancient Israelites.

Obviously genesis doesn't seem to be a literal thing as much as a story explaining mans creation and original relationship with the Lord but then you get the mixed bag of the rest of the OT where a lot of strange shit goes down.

I'd say the Lord leading the Jews out of Egypt and giving them the ten commandments would have to be taken literally if one is to believe in Christ which raises questions for me.

Back before Jesus sin was heavily punished. It's one of the reasons Jesus was sacrificed, humans just can't stop sinning, even when God himself rains hellfire down and says "Stop fucking sinning".

The carrot trumps the stick

Jesus contradicts the old testament constantly it's the reason the pharisees hated him.

So if jesus is constantly contradicting the old testament why should you have to believe any of it.

Not to mention it was passed on solely through word of mouth for atleast 500 years before genesis and exodus were written down. So most of it is probably wrong.

Plus even if it is an accurate preservation of the core story. just because moses god the ten commandmants from god and saw him in a burning bush doesn't mean he wasn't making up all of his interactions with god after that.

Moses is a JEW remember.

In Numbers when Israel got hit by a plague and everyone was like "Moses you can talk to god why is there a plague what the fuck" he basically had to choices. He could have either made something up or got killed by an angry rabble.

It ends with moses genociding an entire race of people and putting tens of thousands of children into sex slavery.

But remember, Moses was a dirty hand wringing HEEB with an army of pedophile KIKES

>but if I were to believe Jesus WAS the son of god/god himself
Why would you believe that?

What my fellow gnostic nigga said

What does that word mean. Google is coming up with 0 results.

The evidence suggests he did exist and did heal the sick, as well as got crucified for it.

The Resurrection is a bit more scarce in terms of historical records on it but if the Jews and Romans at the time knew where his tomb was they could have easily checked it to shut the early Christians the fuck up about seeing Jesus 3 days later.

Basically the stuff surrounding Jesus is very interesting to me and the 2000 years of unbroken tradition that single man brought about and societies built by it seems almost too much for a "man" to pull off.

New Testament is pretty much the og bad unnecessary sequel.

An empty grave can be seen both as a proof for him returning as a zombie or as a proof that some Roman necrophile found a new fuckbuddy.

Doesn't explain the hundreds who claim to have seen him after his death, there would be no gain in lying about that as the Christians did not get any gain from this claim.

I just can't see so many people willing to face death and live a selfless life all for a lie.

>Doesn't explain the hundreds who claim to have seen him after his death,

Plenty of people have seen Elvis after his supposed death but I'ven't yet seen anyone using that as a proof that the King was a divine being.

They didn't claim elvis showed up to them, spent time with them, showed his wounds, and spoke like him.

this wasn't some slight passing in the market, he appeared before the 12 and hundreds more, as a clear intent to show his risen body.

It also spread extremely rapidly for a time where to hear what was going on you actually needed to send a physical person to travel and spread the word.

The God of the OT is the God of the Old Covenant, a covenant between God and the Children of Israel. Jesus came and established a new covenant. It was no longer a rules based covenant, but a covenant of the heart, and it was no longer a covenant exclusively between God and the Children of Israel, but now a promised made to all peoples. It was a very different way for people to relate to God. biblestudy.org/beginner/old-covenant-versus-new-covenant.html

>I just can't see so many people willing to face death and live a selfless life all for a lie.

Crazy people do weird shit and otherwise sane people can become crazy people under the right circumstances. We've extensively researched the psychology behind cults in the 20th century, and otherwise normal people can wind up believing all sorts of shit through group pressure.

It's not a lie (well at least not to most of them), it's a delusion.

You have a point. I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other but this stuff has been a buzz in my mind for months now since I finished reading the bible.

From what I do know about cults (though very little) wont most accept their leaders retardation when their predictions don't come true? Or in most cases have everyone commit suicide?

None of the ones we observed in the 20th century lasted long enough to test that.

Regardless, my point is that a lot of people believing it doesn't mean that it's true, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a lie either.

Hs isn't, we (Catholics) believe in Divine Providence over history too. It's a question of emphasis, not of difference in meaning.

The gods you create when every day is a struggle for survival, cultural identity is under constant threat, and wars that wipe out a third of your populous happen every-other generation, are quite different from the ones you create when most of you are living relatively peaceful lives with full bellies.

As civilization has evolved, so has God.

(Although, if you ask the Cathars, OT God is actually Satan - but that's of course why we killed them all.)