Why do the French maintain such a large presence in Africa?

Legion soldiers based in Djibouti, numerous involvements with former colonies politically such as dethroning Bokassa, taking the Comoros back from Bob Denard and the recent involvement in Mali to name a few. More than the British who had the next largest presence in Africa the French are still very much involved. What is the motivation here?

THE ETERNAL FRANK CLINGS TO ITS COLONIALISTIC ILLUSIONS.

that is an italian bersagliere

Froggies love black pussy/cock.

FUCK OFF RETARD

To keep other imperialistic countries out. Why else.

1) the Malinese basically begged France to aid them against the Tuareg
2) France considers itself the progenitor and protector of the francosphere of which francafrique is a big part (this also includes the drc even though it was belgian)
3) the fact that they took their hands off didnt mean they completely left them alone, having a decent stabding with at least some of the population
4) France isnt seen as negative as the brits
5) this ties in with the francosphere but France remains the leader of La Francophonie (kinda like a linguistic/cultural commonwealth expy) - unlike britain which gave it up to america

this and to support friendly governments against commies, islamists and the like

Those feathers seem impractical in actual combat.

They're Bersaglieri. The feathers are mostly traditional, but they do kind of break up the head's outline, a lot like those goofy IDF helmet covers.

Why do the Africans maintain such a large presence in France?

Free market. Demand for BBC is off the charts at the moment.

Corporate interest. The french are always prepared to send in some hitmen if the wrong dictator seizes power.

There are tons of resources there that are exploited by french companies. Think of the nigerien (not nigerian) uranium that is used to fuel our glorious nuclear power plants for instance.

These "goofy" pancake covers are practical af in dessert combat.

holy kek

Sure but what exactly is the nature of this relationship? Do certain governments get support in exchange for favourable trade agreements?

They want a monopoly on the BBC market. Once western liberalism has won they will make fortunes exporting BBCs to women the world around.

it's worth pointing out that the notable exception in all this is Algeria. France has little involvement there. both the govt and people absolutely despise France. it isn't even in la francophonie. don't get me wrong, they do have some trade and the like due to natural proximity, but I wouldn't call them friendly at all

That would make sense, considering the war they fought to kick them the fuck out.

In return potential rivals to the current rulers are aware of the French presence.

this is probably the main reason desu, it's a stragical ressource

*strategical, uranium

i think one french general said after the war, when asked about the french human right violations "it were just algerians"

>Sure but what exactly is the nature of this relationship?
Give us power and you can share in the loot, president ougabouga

>i think one french general said after the war, when asked about the french human right violations "it were just algerians"
lmao

Because blacks are virtually incapable of self-rule.

Uranium as a previous user said. Some of the cunts with french military presence or in french sphere of influence, have rich uranium deposits.
Gotta protect Areva corporate interests.

The guy in your pic is Italian

How's that?

For example Senegal and France recently signed a 25 point treaty, where France pledged to build a trans-country railroad and provide secure loans for Senegal. In exchange Senegal allows France to keep 2 military bases on their soil and to privilege France in business agreements.

don't have to fight if you pay off the enemy

Need to post the version of this with "preserve baguette"

Perfidious Gallia and the Eternal Frank

>dethroning Bokassa
wtf I hate the french now
wait I always did

they break up the silhouette.

> being so french that you take Napoleon as a role model
> France betrays you
frog ****loyalty***

Neo Harkis and Hizb Franca exist though

Because France needs Africa to stay relevant.

Ave, true to Kaiser!

Someone has to protect black people from themselves

beautiful

France in nothing in the west, but they can pretend to be relevant in Africa.

Poor cheese eating surrender monkeys.

>traditional accents on modern combat uniforms
aesthetic as fuck tbqh