Tfw want to major in history

>tfw want to major in history
>tfw dont want to be poor

When will society recognize the brilliance of historians and philosophers?

Most likely when they are dead.

Sorry future wagie, we can't all be wealthy computer programmers. Don't forget my fries.

Study international relations like me, there is a lot of history

Not OP, but what kind of jobs will international relations get you?

You can work at a mcdonalds in Ukraine.

Historians dont really contribute to the economy though. People recognise their importance, that dosnt mean theyr gonna be paid well

>historians and philosophers
they produce literally nothing

> being proud of being a helpless child well into manhood

Some things about this place I will never understand.

>get history degree
>go to law school because lolwatdo
>graduate law school
>hate legal field and suffer from a combination of depression and ennui
>shitpost on Veeky Forums and remember what I really liked
>considering getting out of law to teach high school or something
>I'll never publish or conduct novel research
>at best I can indulge my history lust in the evenings, maybe I could cobble together some interesting essays or a pop history book

Don't be like me OP

Be a history Professor, but sell heroin and meth to your students on the side.

Boom, problem solved

You can work in any multinational because you speak (if you graduate) at least 3 idioms, or going for the easy way, a diplomatic career

Note how the concept of freedom confuses and enrages the wageslave.

BWAHAHAHAAhahahahahsHAHAHAHAHAhahahahHa

9/10.

You don't have to be poor.

I'm in my final year and I'm getting fit so that I can join the Military and hopefully get into OCS, serve my four years, then go to Law School, if not do both at the same time.

> freedom
>being totally at the mercy of the government giving you alms

c'est pas la Liberte, mec

>toils involuntarily for money that goes towards letting me do whatever I want with MY free time
>claims I'm not free

What did the wagecuck mean by this?

>get BA and MA degrees in history from small liberal arts school
>Get hired by one of the schools I attended to work in the university research collections as a glorified archivist's assistant/clerk
>Professor you were cool with is now your boss
>Pay is garbage but you like what you do
This is my life now. I've resigned myself to it and got over the fact I'll be poor in exchange for doing something I enjoy.

When will """"brillant"""" historians and philosophers understand the simple concept (it's really not that hard) that you get paid in proportion to the economic value you contribute to society. Yes, economic value. We are talking about money here right? That's what this is all about. I don't remember reading in the OP that he was talking about smiles, aplause, love, hugs... No. He said he doesn't want to be POOR, he wasn't to have wealth, revenue, ECONOMIC gain. Well guess what.

YOU'RE IN THE FUCKING WRONG CAREER! Philosophy and history doesn't contribute shut to the economy. Imagine all historians and philosophers go on a strike................. That's right.

You're in the fucking wrong career. Get this into your """"brillant"""" skulls.

If you want to make money, start a business or learn to manage someone else's money.

Same. Ended up with engineering instead. Got to put the food on the table and the money in the landlord's pocket.

The actually brilliant ones can easily profit though. If you're serious then work hard and smart and you'll find someone willing to pay you for something.

That's what I studied and I'm unemployed.

>not pursuing mastery in your chosen medium after work
Stop letting your career define who you are. You can easily work a well paying job and write your manifesto at home

>majored in History
>now going into teaching

haha just end my fucking life pham

>mfw imagining the people I regularly autistically rant with on here as teachers
Wew.

desu this is why I majored in chemistry over history. Better job options

what the fuck did you expect?
I majored in history fully understanding that there was a fairly limited and relatively low-paying field of jobs available to me
welcome to the real world, faggot

>When will society recognize the brilliance of historians and philosophers?
>Historian intellectuals

Investors neither.

>When will society recognize the brilliance of historians and philosophers?

When Marxism dies and it becomes unbiased again.

it's not so bad if you land a teaching job in a state tht appreciates teachers...

decent pay, summer, holidays, and weekends off, and you get to teach shitheads actual history before they start posting here..

>He got memed into the degree = future meme.
Keeeeeeeeek

Some say history helps us predict future. I say bullshit, no Roman Emperor ever helped me pick my lottery numbers.

Are you me?

I wouldn't say I dislike it yet though.

Just remember, when you're older and have more time on your hands you'll be able to start writing history. Few people began writing academic works of any serious merit or note in their 20s.

do international relations and work for the gubmint

when you destroy the capitalist system in which we live.

>historians produce nothing of value
they train high school teachers tho

teaching is fucking /comfy/, you are in no position to complain

I feel the same way about music desu

>muh prodcution
Capitalism is a plague.

Agree

Just do Economics.

Actually useful degree and there's still history involved.

Economics is a spook.

history is a spook

A spook that makes you lots of money. Econ majors are in demand and average $101,000 a year after a decade, vs 50,651 for college majors in general.

I Worked at a law firm over the summer. Wasn't too bad and I enjoyed the office environment. Are any anons paralegals? Would you recommend it?

M I L I T A R Y
If you have a bachelor's you can be an officer and make stupid amounts of money

To teach useless shit that only a fraction of the students are genuinely interested in.

you're right
we should just not educate people
after all, general education is totally useless, despite being one of the foundations of our modern culture, society, and civilization
kill yourself

And if the Government suddenly took away your welfare, what then?

Turns out you can't be an officer anymore with a degree like Roman underwater basket weaving.

(((They))) won't.

>money that goes towards letting me do whatever I want with MY free time

Um federal taxes don't go to funding special education schools honey.

General/Secretary of Defense Mattis has a history degree

He was also commissioned in the fucking 1960s. Officer recruiters will laugh you out of their office if you go to them with a BA in history.

Treat history as a hobby and nothing more.

Find an actual career.

What happened? I'm not exactly a rare commodity and haven't been out of work for several years now.

A bachelors degree today is basically where the high school diploma used to be. Don't bother getting a Masters or above in History unless you are serious and going into a good school.

If its just a bachelors, just use your degree to help get you one of those jobs where employers now prefer employees have a degree. The upside of History is that you can probably type, reason, and write well. People today write like shit. Just stay out of debt as much as you can (that's what I'm doing, community college to state school within driving distance of my house) and try to use your college to get some internships so you have some work experience.

The downside of so many people graduation High school is that the high-school degree is worth less, education inflation.

You get it

My brother has a BA in History and got commissioned by the Army just months ago.

Just go into Insurance you dumb faggots

As what?

Holy shit, I'm visiting from Veeky Forums.

I thought we all had it bad choosing to go into hard science/math instead of engineering.

GET OUT STEMSCUM

REEEEEEEEEEE

living is a spook

literally the only teachers there isn't a shortage of here is kindergarden teachers (because of ohmagerd cute-women), gym-teachers (because of failed athletes) and history teachers because that's the only thing history graduates are good for

I wanted to study history but went into chemistry instead and now I'm actually employable and treat history as what it essentially is: a hobby

I would have loved to study History, went with a Computer Science degree instead. Still in uni and work part time (full time during summer) in an IT department on a decent wage, I like it. Get my history fanboy fix in my spare time.

I regret nothing. I'd rather be able to pay rent for a decent area and live comfortably than be on the dole as an expert in some niche history field.

As an officer duh

what kind....

>he wan't born into a wealthy family

I feel sorry for you wagecucks in a way, but then again without me profiting from your work i'd just be another wagecuck

>historians and philosophers get paid nothing because they produce nothing of value
>meanwhile people who work in finance get paid lots because they move numbers around on spreadsheets and literally moan that they can't go to work drunk.

Can't recognize what does not exist.

>He thinks any job outside of the sciences requires a specific degree
lmao you deserve to be unemployed if you can't find a well paying job that just requires a degree

>>

Interestingly, Mark Cuban recently commented that he believes the future of labor is in the humanities. Robots can't learn art, literature and history and apply it to other tasks.

>study history
>you're literally irreplaceable

At least we have that.

I fell for the history major meme, and it sucks. Atleast i'm a eurofag, so not in massive debt.

i'm currently studying poetry and lit did i fuck up along the way?

The funny part is that the right hand column will create the left hand column

As soon as this board stops being associated with antisemitism (aside from Nazism), Eurocentrism, and Christocentrism

In all honesty, you could do a field that's not well developed, like pre-Columbian history. There's opportunities for research there. Europe's been done to death.

Logistics

Daily reminder that the only members of society that actually produce anything are farmers, miners, food processors, and metallurgists/resource refiners. Everything else is only good for refining the aforementioned processes; not doing so is a waste.

Okay, so everyone becomes a miner. What then? What's the point of living? Just mine all day then sleep and repeat? Mock artists all you want, we give meaning to life.

30-40 years ago, you could basically get any degree you wanted and it didn't matter, any college gave you a huge advantage. People realized this and began going into debt to attend university, which led to the current problem where you have to get higher education to just stay with the pack.

Basically, its not that society doesn't value history, its just there are literally thousands of people with more relevant fields applying for the same jobs.

But you know what you can do? Major in something else, but take every history class you can. Just because it isn't a major it doesn't mean you can't take the classes. College is about learning, if you really care you can even make it a minor.

>Just mine all day then sleep and repeat?
Yes. Every non-nomadic/barbarian civilization throughout history is built on agriculture (of some kind) and basic resource extraction. Art is a luxury, not necessary for life, and only gives meaning if the beholder believes it does. It doesn't have any intrinsic survival value.

We live in the age of industry, where not everyone needs to be a farmer or miner. If you're concerned with what's necessary to survival, why are you on the internet? That is after all a luxury and not necessary to survival. What makes humans unique is our drive to create things that give us enjoyment and make our lives easier or more comfortable, not just what is necessary to survival.

Seriously, what can you do as a historian? I love history and /an/ shit, but I don't know what I'd do with a history degree or of a wildlife related job that has a descent pay, so I'm studying bioengineering. I doubt this choice every time I read something historical.

I got a BA in History because I was stupid, and because I always got told to "just study what you fund interesting!". I regret it now. You can't do shit with it. I'm going back for a Masters in September that will hopefully make me more attractive on the job market, but untill then I am full wagecuck, working a factory job from 7 - 15 each day.

When the current lel engineer programmer meme ends

the left is literally me
what to do?

>be International affairs major
>see this
>shit pants

Same here. As far as I see we can either kill ourselves or put in real effort to change.