Uniforms thread

Post historical aesthetics lads. Pre-Napoleonic uniforms a best

Highland regiments are sexy af

Fuck your flag, and your throat.

South African i think

Out of my way white devil!

This thread is getting a bit too colonial for my liking...

Not really uniforms, are they?

>Not really uniforms, are they?
Considering there are people posting 19th and 20thC images, as well as images from before the concept of uniforms, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

God, I love me some cavalry in the charge.

Why did the Brits wear red?

Cheap dye?

Why did Europeans even make such expensive looking uniforms if the idea is to keep costs low?

I doubt they were expensive, maybe the guard regiments were but most werent, nobody knows for sure why they chose red, but yours is one theory.

They look pretty expensive imo, I suppose for them it was cheaper than having everyone in armour, thinking about it that way makes more sense. Cheaper than armour.

Well its really just a briht colored coat, most of it looks like regular gentleman attire, its not much different from what civilians wore, apart from the insignia and such. If it werent cheap they wouldnt use it.

Gotta go with Jordan's Royal Bedouin Police uniform.

Meh
Our army looks pretty rubbish

They look like a travelling circus

Embarrassing

Have bigger verson

>Why did the Brits wear red?
>Cheap dye?
It was the cheapest dye available when parliament decided on a standing army. The colour stuck.

Anyone have early American uniform pics?

Talking anything from their Continental Army to War of 1812 to maybe their war with Mexico.

always been quite fond of the Irish pipers' kilts desu

Trews>Kilts desu

where can one buy real bearskin fusilier caps? asking for a friend here

thank you kind sir!

The uniforms look cool in drawings but in actuality they look kind of lame.

Its the colour of England

Cost wasn't a major factor, as much as tradition. Madder for the elisted men, and crimson/cochineal for officers. Uniform color,trim and emblems were expensive, but considered a worthy investment, as was regular laundering and personal care equipment.

A professional looking army, was just as important for moral and psychological warfare as the discipline and training. 18thC warfare wasn't about killing the enemy, as much as forcing them from the field.

A resplendent looking army, in perfect lockstep march, aiming their muskets in perfect order, and wordlessly fixing bayonets without pause, is as terrifying as a tight volley of musket fire.

Where you from, and whats your budget? Which style, century and unit?

I got you. Here I am at work, falling in to line. Pardon the faces, but the sun was setting. Combination of VA State Garrison Regiment, militia, and museum guests. I am acting corporal in the pic.

A remnant unit of New Jersey and Virginian regulars

im from ca atm, but might move to ma for the rest of my college. Was kind of interested in doing some reenacting for the british side. I have a Don Troiani book about the revolution and fell in love with the 23rd regiment hat, just want to know where to get one to put on the mantlepiece or whatever

Look up your local group on facebook and make friends. 23rd Welsh is actually fairly popular, and I am sure they can hook you up with a source. Don't be surprised that it may cost just south of $300.

Obviously, MA will have more sources and people. Colony states always have a bigger reenacting scene.

Italian alpin trooper, First World War

>Cost wasn't a major factor, as much as tradition
Cost was literally the original factor. The tradition of using red originated from that early use due to parliament's tight purse strings.

Source: Oxford History of the British Army

I always wondered about those helmets... why have those bars but no facemask?

You have an incomplete understanding. The British have been wearing red since the English Civil War, but that is when household still supplied their own troops.

The factor of cost came later. The British army used madder dye for enlisted men to continue the tradition, and color of Saint George. Officers bought their own uniform, and preferred crimson or cochineal red.

Sources:

"A History of the Regiments & Uniforms of the British Army", Major R.M. Barnes

"A History of the Uniforms of the British Army" volumes 1 and 2, Cecil Lawson

And Colonial Williamsburg's internal catalogue of documentation.

Cost and use. It would protect against lateral slashes from a sword. No use of a full visor against musket fire though.

>You have an incomplete understanding
No, Oxford is more informed. Both your "sources" are incredibly out of date. And frankly, if we want to use those sources Cecil Lawson actually highlights that the red adopted doesn't originate from where you say it does. In truth red had been used on occasion for at least two centuries prior to the civil war. Had a cheaper dye been available parliament was prepared to use it. The tradition stemmed *from* their decision.
You either misremember or misread.

t. British soldier and historian

I have learned to not argue with armchair historians on Veeky Forums, but I really think you are not thinking this through completely. Its been red since the new model army. They changed to madder as the red dye to keep the cost down, not chose red in general. Feel free to try and argue, but such is the facts. can also find you books claiming the red is to keep the foe from seeing they were bleeding, but that doesn't change the truth.

Forgot my pic.

He's not arguing with you, fampai. He's giving you a detailed reason.

>ywn BTFO the wehrmacht wearing a full chain hauberk.

What happened next between Guard and Loli?