Brutalist architecture

Brutalist architecture.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S5TkbpMaeAA
youtu.be/A9W9i3QW29Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People are too hard on different types of architecture. There could be thousands of buildings of the same style in the city and just a couple will be brutalist or postmodern and people will freak out about it.

I personally don't care for the concrete look but they stand out enough that it makes them interesting.

wtf im a nazi now

Hideous. Should be illegal in public spaces.

I think a lot of it ended up being, ironically, form over function.
Pic related is a nightmare to get to, you end up scurrying across the tarmac dodging buses.
Likewise the South Bank Centre in London is a real pain to find the entrances, too much thought given to aesthetics and not enough to human needs

I love Brutalist architecture. I think it's useful in establishing a modern look without being gaudy or tacky. I also think it has potential in making cities more psychologically friendly to humans by creating surfaces evocative of rock-faces, though this would require pairing it with extensive urban greenery projects.

eco-brutalism

Modernism was a mistake. At least when it comes to architecture.

anyone who says its good and 'you just don't get it' has never actually spent time near these. You can't imagine how depressive these are to have around.

I think they're pretentious.
The buildings are impractical.
While children and adults freeze to death in the winter, these places are "exclusive" to the snobs.
Yes, I have designed a house in AutoCad. It's designed so children don't have to die on the streets and starve to death. I have honor. I am a Man.

Honestly the Slovene Brutalist Triplex A/B (1972) garage systems were genius when they were designed in the 1970's and completely blew out any western designs. They manage to cram 60 personal enclosed garage spaces in 3 floors while remaining relatively low-profile.

Their only problem is that cars are much bigger than in the 70's nowadays.

Say what you want about the aesthetics but those things solved a housing crisis and are have proper anti-earthquake foundations and other safety features making them more safe than 90% of all housing blocks built since 1991 which blatantly ignore the safety standards.

These were based on the same concept, but with a bit more comfort. they've been repainted since and are pretty comfy (I'd know I live next to them).
The complex also starred as the main setting in a classic Slovene movie, Sreča na Vrvici (1977).

youtu.be/S5TkbpMaeAA

They have been repainted since and are /comfy/.

youtu.be/A9W9i3QW29Q

imho one of the main reason why this concrete jungle is livable is because it's right at the edge of the city so it gives on miles of fields.

>tfw London got JUSTed beyond salvation

Republic Square (previously Revolution Square) is also great brutalist engineering. The 2 fuckoff huge buildings are the national bank and the National Technical Library. a cultural center is also integrated into the structure but you can't see it from this angle.

LOL

Some Eeastern European cities are basically a brutalist Disneyland.

I don't see many brutalist buildings apart from that pseudo-air tower next to the spiky dildo and the housing buildings at the bottom right.
Brutalism isn't just anything modern.
The square was a parking lot during the 00's until Janković (pbuh) fixed it back.

welcome to the 21st century of Judeo-Nihilism:
everything worth caring about will be pozzed

London is by far the ugliest European big city, even Moscow somehow manages to look better. It's like taking everything wrong about Europe and combining it with everything wrong about America.

I've been to Bratislava and honestly the Brutalist buildings there work very well because:
a) Brutalism is the main building style in the suburbs so you don't get a horrible hodge podge of styles (unlike London)
b) The buildings are generally pretty well kept (unlike London)
c) Bratislava is a very small (432,801 people - 2 Ljubljanas or a district in London or an avenue in NY) so greenery is always close and you don't feel trapped by the concrete

Another city that manages to do Brutalism well is Velenje (previously Titovo Velenje). Once again it's a small mining town surrounded by green hills, so people don't die of depression.

It may not look like it today because of renovations but the entire city was built in the 50's to staff the local mine, power plant and kitchen appliances factory the central committee put there.

So you are saying that the Communist where a bunch of people with no morals? But at the least they followed safety standards?
Or is it pic unrelated?

It's shit. Not enough windows, big ugly blocky things. They need some ways to get natural light in, some decorations, and some character. Anything, cover it in Christmas lights, slap a giant statue on it, add in a bunch of greek pillars that serve no purpose, whatever, just do something, anything, to make it less of a big brown/grey eyesore.

See, I like gaudy and tacky, though. But, then again, I thing Las Vegas has one of the most beautiful streets on Earth (The Strip is amazing, the rest of the actual city where people live is just a large dusty desert city. I really like cities like Vegas, Orlando, and Niagara Falls, where it's like a carnival threw up all over them and you have large pretty but useless buildings like revolving restaurant towers and shit and neon lights everywhere. Neon looks so damn cool.

Said coal mine and power plant.
The creation of Lake Velenje is one of the most unusual ones: due to the long years of mining activity in the Valley of Šalek, subsidence caused a water flood, which resulted in a series of three lakes: Lake Škale, Lake Družmirje, and Lake Velenje.

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Yeah they're ugly as sin, but the central government of FSR Slovenia had a serious housing problem in the 50's when a lot of young men came to work to Ljubljana and into the mines of Savska valley and they needed to solve it quickly and with a low budget. Personally I'd prefer living there than in some modern housing block officially designated as a warehouse to cut costs of safety measures (Slovenia is on a very earthquake prone location).

Upside down glass pyramid, glass cube within concrete cube and that round thing bottom row second from the right all look cool as hell. The rest are meh.

>round thing bottom row second from the right
It's a bridge.

I'd dump more interesting stuff like the city of Nova Gorica which was built right on the border with the italian city of Gorizia after they refused to give it back. The city was built for no other reason than to spite the wogs (and to resettle the expelled Slovenes of old Gorica), but I can't find any decent pictures.
So I'll just dump some aesthetic brutalist architecture.

Apparently this has been nicknamed "Sauron's European headquarters"

I swear i thought that was Skopje, ive literally been in a commieblock that looks 90% like this ine.

Skopje is another city that was build from ground-up in the 50's with brutalist architecture. I never visited so I don't know how pleasant it is.

quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they recycled plan all over the country, the B-7 complex ie Bratoševa Ploščad was built by Marjan Bežan, Braco Mušič, Nives Starc, I wonder if they worked in other places in Yugo as well?

More Skopje

It used to be comfy af, now its filled with new styled apartment buildings and dresses in those diagusting kitsch """"""baroque""""""" fascades and kitschy ornaments. If this thrwad is alive ill post pics tomorrow from my pc

Most probably, i ha an old book filled with old commie house designs, you just ordered from the book lmao, its the same with the apsrtment buildings probably.

I love the uni, the post office is also sexy as fuck, the rotunda is supposed to be a poppy flower, which is one of our national flowers. (Apparently macedonian poppies make the worlds hiest quality heroin) but we arent afghan so we dont.

>tfw so many styles that won't be used anymore due to $$$

Posting some from Bulgaria

That one time the fuckers actually build a building from the top down

Completed

The majority of posters who talk about brutalism don't know what brutalism is.
It literally means "raw concrete", and its prime example are what those same people praising it call "commie blocks".

Pic related, the height of brutalism. A big concrete box for tax farm animals to sleep in.

Some pictures from the heaviest brutalist monument in the world

What did they build next to it?

I find it fascinating in a way. It has this kind of steampunk industrial feel to it.

Shame that people don't appreciate that, they just want all to be pretty and neat. They are systematically tearing down brutalist commie buildings and building glass and steal shopping malls/offices there instead.

I find it ugly as fuck. It was an architectural movement to destroy tradition and start from scratch. I dislike it greatly.

Some modern looking glass office building, which is just the cherry of the pie in this particular square so now it looks like a fucking Frankenstein plaza featuring 19th century buildings, Brick commie blocks from the 50s, and the said tower

Communism.
Not even once.

>judging art by the motivation behind it and not by how it looks itself
I adore the monumentality, even with commieblocks.

I wish i was on my PC and i could show pictures of how capitalists reconstruct old art noveau buildings into modern architecture (pic related)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

I don't think that is brutalist architecture.

Both capitalists and communists are tasteless subhumans.

but WE WUZ Alexanderatata n'shit :^)
>i have an old book filled with old commie house designs
Neat, care to post some?
btw is Skopje worth visiting for a Slovene?

Absolute madmen

Found some photos of Nova Gorica from when it was built. All the fags saying brutalism is oppressive should visit that town, one of the comfiest places in Slovenia.

Because farms American suburbia is so much better right? You even get a nice life-long debt when you move into your new cloned house.

At least your pic is energy and space efficient, has shops and public services within a 5 minute walk and has more greenery than most suburbias.

It's true, you can't really make out much.

It can be really cool at the right time of day if it takes advantage of the shadows.

>hey guiz
>keralis here

The most black metal of architectures.

>Yes, I have designed a house in AutoCad. It's designed so children don't have to die on the streets and starve to death. I have honor. I am a Man.

Well i got home

Its funny how "modern architecture" is closer to brutalism than anything (with few more colours), yet most of its agenda (at least here in post-commie countries) is to be "not-brutalism"

You are a child. You have a lot of maturing to go if you think lack of housing is a funny thing to poke fun at.

im so mature xddd if u disagree wit me ur immature IM RIGHT UR RONG ACCEPT MY NORMATIVE STANCE

>I am man
>You are child
Can't argue with that

Okay thats enough to prove that capitalism is as shit at architecture as commies

Keating’s fortunes, in the meantime, have soured. Lacking his own creative voice, he is at a loss when the architectural trends he has spent his career emulating cease to be fashionable. Desperate to salvage his career, he begs Roark to design one last building for him: a low-income housing project to be called Cortland Homes. Roark, knowing that the project is under Toohey’s control, and that a plan under his own name would never be accepted, agrees, on the condition that his plan be built precisely as designed.

>be communist
>build awesome garage
>realize you can't use garage because no cars
>if you have a car, it sucks dick because of soviet engineering
>go drink more state subsidised vodka in order to forget misery

>See, I like gaudy and tacky, though.

there's a term for that, it's called 'being a pleb'

I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York's skyline. Particularly when one can't see the details. Just the shapes. The shapes and the thought that made them. The sky over New York and the will of man made visible. What other religion do we need? And then people tell me about pilgrimages to some dank pesthole in a jungle where they go to do homage to a crumbling temple, to a leering stone monster with a pot belly, created by some leprous savage. Is it beauty and genius they want to see? Do they seek a sense of the sublime? Let them come to New York, stand on the shore of the Hudson, look and kneel. When I see the city from my window - no, I don't feel how small I am - but I feel that if a war came to threaten this, I would throw myself into space, over the city, and protect these buildings with my body.

Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

>ARCHITECTURE I DON'T LIKE IS DA JOOOOOOOOOOOZ!!!!!!

Hate to tell you this pal but the father of Brutalism, Le Corbusier, was a christian and some of his most iconic buildings are chapels and monasteries. But then again you lot don't really care much for facts, do you?

Does Ayn Rand know that by fighting that war she'd most likely be supporting the establishment of the state?

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

>Ayn Rand

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

>2017
>Still using AutoCad
get Revit you fucking pauper

>The buildings are impractical.
Actually they're extremely practical considering that they allow large numbers of people to be housed in an extremely small area

>While children and adults freeze to death in the winter, these places are "exclusive" to the snobs.
What did he mean by this?

>have honor. I am a Man.
nah you have a lack of taste and you're a massive pleb

Triggers me hard enough that I bleed from my anus.

Anything thats not French Neoclassicalism does that though.

lmao okay pal

Ayn Rand isn't an ancap. As a matter of fact she's a massive shill for the US government.

A tiny bit back there was some guy sperging about brutalist architecture, claiming that it looked so bad because it wasn't utilized right. I wish I remember all the different things he discussed, but I only remember that they look like shit in metropolitan areas and look great surrounded by untrimmed trees and wilderness. I guess looking secure and conservative in appearance contrasts nicely against nature that is anything but that?