At what age did you grow out of atheism?

At what age did you grow out of atheism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=shyI-aQaXD0
newgeology.us/presentation32.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JiMqzN_YSXU
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A
youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can you grow out of logic and common sense?

OP said atheism, not Christianity.

Conception, in other words the exact moment the sperm and egg which would become me combined.

22 after my best friend dropped dead in his dormm room playing gtaV on his 21st bday from an unknown heart condition.

If I didnt believe, why was I angry at god?

That's a good way to die

Around 18~20 when I stopped being edgy and realized there is more to life.

Ditto

looking back yea. It was instant. He had just had dinner and drinks few hours before with friends and family.

Could have been worse. I just wish his roommatehadn't been 10ft away. Whole experience got to him

Converts to religion typically experience some desperate hardship and crave a regulatory emotional experience.

To say you "outgrew" Atheism means something convinced you to adopt a religion. It could be anything, a traumatic experience or some intense social obligation. People only believe what they feel based on their life events.

this
most midlife converts to any religion are total losers and lonely aging people

>revelatory
fucking typos

Yes, sadly that's it.

WASTED

Double post: Accepted Christ at age 5 on Yom Kippur. No one pressed me into it, or even confronted me directly about the subject. I just woke up and knew what I believed, so I asked my parents to show me the way.

The...Same...Fucking...Thread....

Tips, tips TIIIPS, how's that fedora of yours doing?

16 when I discovered /pol/ and got redpilled >:]

24 when i realized evolution is a myth.

it's sad that children are still being brainwashed into that cult, it's the main reason why people become atheists in the first place.

fun fact: if you're an atheist and believe in darwinism, you never left religion. you simply changed religion.

We get it grandpa.

I started believing when God revealed Himself to me and gave me gnosis so I could go to heaven.

Before you answer: the only mental illness here is the one your mother had since apparently she cared so much for one of her diarrhea discharges she fed it and gave life to it so you could exist.

Born Christian
Atheist during my edgy phase
At 18 became a non-theist.

u sound mad af

Found the atheist

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=shyI-aQaXD0 video series changed my life.

Around my early 20s.

>24 when i realized evolution is a myth.
Could you please elaborate on how evolution is a myth? I'm a Catholic but I still accept evolution as fact because one can literally prove evolution in a month with a pétri dish and a bacterial culture.

>Evolution + Catholic
Oh boy now you've done it.

I'm 55, last week I was a diehard Secular Humanismist and Evolutionist, but a Christian posted a fedora meme and I was so overwhelmed by shame and guilt that I renounced Darwin and converted to Southern Baptistism on the spot.

Now I make sure to post as many memes as possible every day, in the hopes that others may experience the same life-changing power I felt. I consider posting memes on Veeky Forums to be my humble way of giving thanks to God.

newgeology.us/presentation32.html

same thing happened to me last week

ohhh congratulations

22. I realized that science pointed towards a created universe and that all Dawkins and Hitchens were doing was desperately trying to hide the evidence

Like 16, when I read Plato and Descartes

Never been an atheist, been agnostic, but not atheist. Too many personal experiences at a very young age for me to say there wasn't something out there, that there isn't something beyond death.

>atheist who is slowly realizing his movement is becoming nothing but a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=JiMqzN_YSXU

Ateists hae a ugly habit of expecting others to prove things to them.
Well guess what, faggot, maybe the true religion doesnt reward recruiting but rather continuous spiritual practice and maybe people think that they dont owe you shit to trouble themselves convincing you.
You are not my responsibility.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A
youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

These exposed the lies of evolutionist Atheists to me and showed me the light.

When I was 19 I grew out of atheism and became a "cultural Christian"

After a few years I realised that cucktianity is not compatible with my political and philosophical beliefs and it is a cancer than must be eradicated

>new earth creationists are arguments vs theism

This is why atheists are so hated

le edgy atheist until 20
ambivalent until 22
firmly agnostic at 23
theist at 24

making my way through the christian canon currently (24)

I was about 21 or 22

>muh I believe in god now because health problems still exist

There are four levels:
>1. being born into christianity and going with the flow (or atheism, if so skip to level three)
>2. blindly rejecting it and becoming an athiest while you rebel against your parents and society
>3. realizing everyone else is an athiest too, and therefore feeling the need to be different and identify as a christian for contrarian points (you are here)
>4. realizing that while christianity has cultural and moral value, it's obviously not true, and although it is possible for a god to exist, it's not the christian one (agnosticism, aka enlightenment)

I cant believe in things without proofs, sorry. Citation needed for the existence of god

Too soon

Top zozzle

that's really not it at all.

We were both raised Catholic but we just couldn't buy into it.

We became edgy teenage atheists but gradually just became agnostic after realizing we didn't agree with religion, not the idea of God.

When he died I was angry at God even if I didn't fully believe. That night I was watching tv and a character in some show had something similar happen and his friend asked him "how can you be mad at something if you don't believe it exists?"

It was jut a coincidence but it stuck with me all the same. I'm no bible-thumping born again Christian, but I'm not an atheist anymore

Personally I've never been an atheist just an agnostic.

Just because it feels better to be able to blame something rather than nothing. Doesn't inherently mean there is a big Other or a God.

No, you believe evolution is a fact because your priest told you it was a fact.

>I cannot detect the universe, the post.

>inb4 hurr durr it just came from nothing.

>We don't really know how the universe started.
>Musta been Yahweh

>believing a transcendent, incomprehensible entity created the universe is somehow considered less rational than believing lmao we dunno aahahahhaha but i 100% know for a fact it wasn't god :')

So where does the existence of a god come into play with the formation of tge universe?

What made god then?

Where did I say I 100% know it wasn't God, retard. Also how is it more believable that Yahweh did it than us not knowing. Sounds like you let your emotions get the best of you in this post buddy.

>transcendent

I became an atheist at fifteen but over the past few years the more I read the more I find myself leaning torwards agnosticism.

So how is some eternal being creating universes more plausible than eternal dust in the void?

from the human perspective and our experience of reality and according to our understanding of the forces that govern it, attributing the existence of existence to absurd and inexplicable material reactions is a damn sight less rational than the explanation that there is in fact a prime mover

I have a box in my hand. Both of you are asked what might be in there.

He'd say: "I don't know what's in it. Might be nothing, might be a banana or something else, but I'd like to see evidence for whatever you think is in there."
You'd say: "There's a banana inside, and I know this for a fact, but I don't have evidence."

Which statement is more rational?

The assertion of a prime mover is a lot more of an assumption than dust. If god just was then why couldnt the universe just be?

>If god just was then why couldnt the universe just be?

Well, we know that the universe developed out of a singularity. We don't know why, but given what we know about Newton's laws a prime mover is an absolutely rational answer to how the fuck did we go from a singularity to a universe.

The big bang/big crunch cycle is a satisfying and entirely plausible explanation but even then it always comes back to the what caused the first motion in that pattern of activity

I dunno, probably like 14 or so.

When I realized escaping hell fire is more important than my pride

Theres no such evidence of a mover however. You say its only rational, but no physics supports it. Its a lot more probable for the dust to have just been condensed rather than formed from nothing.

>Theres no such evidence of a mover however.

I've just explained to you why religious people feel like the existence of the universe is evidence for the existence of a prime mover

that was the entire point of my last several posts

I'm not sure how I could have worded that any better for it not to have gone completely over your head

Then my request for evidence of a god went over your head completely.

At least people have the chance to grow out of atheism. Had they been brainwashed since birth about atheism, there would be no escape.

If you'll sacrifice anything in fear of hellfire who do you think that goes to?

well, there you have the fundamental point of difference between theists and atheists, atheists ridigly frame their beliefs within a materialistic/positivist paradigm and theists don't

we may as well be speaking different languages

So what youre saying here is the proof of god cant be provided logically and rationally in accordance to enlightenment era philosophies practiced by the modern world in order to accurately explain the known universe.

Fun fact: you're an idiot

i'm saying it's perfectly possible to work within that framework if one is willing to accept the not exactly radical, in scientific terms, premise that a transcendent entity might have stimulated the otherwise inexplicable occurrence of existence

but despite somehow claiming the rational/moral position most atheists cling to the belief that the only sufficient proof of existence of a prime mover is a bearded man appearing in the sky and throwing down thunderbolts

>theist who doesn't know the definition of the word "meme", nor who coined the term.

sorry, that should be "reasonable" not "moral"

freudian slip...

The problem is that the argument ends at the assertion of the possibility. Theres theories that we are a binary star system with an incredibly weak dwarf star, bit theres no solid evidence for that star and thus it ends there without being pushed as a heavily probable theory

>otherwise inexplicable
But said entity doesn't provide any explaining. It only adds another element that needs explaining.

I agree. That said, for me at least, this is where the argument moves beyond the empirical and towards the metaphysical side of things and you have to bring elements like "faith" into the equation which are utterly incomprehensible to atheists by definition, because otherwise they'd be agnostic.

>bearded man appearing in the sky and throwing down thunderbolts
Considering that most theists a Western atheist will meet are Christians, and those aren't at all trying to defend a prime mover that is just some sort of cosmic principle and impersonal (heck, he has a son and is weirdly preoccupied with a dwarfish outer Milky Way rimworld), yeah, that caricature is actually a fitting starting point.

Jesus that's terrifying.

You mean every thread on Veeky Forums?

Granted. I'll refer you back to though: this is the stage of the argument where concepts difficult for positivists to grasp come into play - the inevitable "why does this transcendent entity care if i masturbate"

for me i think if you're going to quantify religion it comes down to an acknowledgement that the "religious" interpretation for the existence of the universe is a coherent empirical explanation, combined and supported by "evidence" that can only be understood personally and rarely conforms to empirical/positivist expectations

faith is composed of both these components, you can't have one without the other, atheists lack the first and agnostics lack the second

At what age did you grow out of Santa?

>"how can you be mad at something if you don't believe it exists?"
Easy: By you having grown up being made to believe that it exists, and you needed to quell that psychological fear of not understanding why it happened.
So, your options were to accept nonunderstanding, which takes strength, or you take the easy ways out: Make something up or revert to old thought systems which already made something up for you. In times of distress, we revert back to thought patterns we know and are comfortable with, and that's what happened.

Also, we are always looking for patterns, especially when something big happens. This allowes you to notice silly coincidences, even in hindsight. The coincidence then stuck because coincidences that happen while something big happens stick particularly well. You've probably forgotten or not even consciously noticed the countless silly coincidences that happened on unremarkable days.

If you were born in the M.E would you be islamic? Or if you were born in some Polynesian island would you be a cargo cultist thinking John Frum was gonna fly in from the afterlife with food and wealth?

Wow, I just learned three new terms.

(John Frum, cargo cult, Melanesia)

it's probably not a particularly popular perception among laymen but there are a fair few at the bishop/cardinal level and at the university level who believe that having a relationship with a god(s) at all are is really vastly more important than the cultural factors that dictate the nature and form of that relationship

IIRC one of the directors of the vatican observatory wrote about this

old user here