When exactly did USA become the world's leading power?

When exactly did USA become the world's leading power?

After WW2.

Under Theodore Roosevelt during the progressive era.

I see how it became the world's most powerful country in this era, but it was not the world's leading power yet.

>economic

>military

>political

>Leading power
Beginning of the Cold War, following the Suez Crises when Britain stopped being a world power

The US was already a great power for good deal of time before that though. By the turn of the 20th century, America was already regarded as a major player in world politics as evidence by their involvement in the Boxer Rebellion.

And culturally?

>culturally
1920 or so

Suez happened because Britain stopped being a world power (since WW2 IMO), not the other way round.

Yeah, but it was a wakeup call for anyone who still believed that the British empire could survive. Its what made it "official" imo

Fair point.

Eurobabies squabbling as usual

It was THE definitive wake up call since it was one of many

I'd say 92. The soviets lining up for McDonalds was the big moment.

The U.S. became culturally dominant with Hollywood and Jazz.

In pure numbers, the US became the world's largest economy in terms of GDP in 1894.

After the invention of cheese

You don't look at a stage 4 patient and tell him exactly when his cancer became incurable.

Largest =/= leading.

after 1920 they were undoubtedly the worlds leading economic power because Britain basically sucked their own empire dry since they were so desperate to win world war 1. after 1945 they were (along with the USSR) the worlds leading military power, since again, britain sucked up whatever was left of their destroyed empire in an effort to stay afloat in world war 2.

I'd say after 1991 the us was undoubtedly the worlds sole leading economic AND military power with no close rival, since up till then, the ussr could at least rival them in military and force projection.

so by that logic today china is more powerful than the us

Not him but that's not true

no cause you're basing it on gdp

China becoming powerful is an eventuality. It's been one of the premier civilizations for most of its history and only recently has it fallen off its pedestal.

After institution of Bretton-Woods system

>survive when it lost it's most profitable colony.

>becoming
>eventuality
It's already there.

Hasn't happened yet.

please tell me you're trolling

With the demise of the USSR.

When Churchill handed them the british empire

At no point in the Soviet Unions history were they considered a threat to the United States.

Capitalism and freedom.

They were a threat to US global interests and have checked the US multiple times in the world stage. Continued doing so up until internal dissent among commies in the form of the Sino-Soviet Split gave US plenty of opportunities to screw the Soviets.

You can only be Superpower if you're the sole power. And America became that when the uSSR got btfo.