Armor thread

Last thread hit the image limit

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2014/11/leather-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
desuarchive.org/his/thread/2387003/#2404467
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/02/plate-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
flickr.com/photos/toranosuke/8543957686/in/photostream/
books.google.com/books?id=o9YEHZKQG0QC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=Okinawan warrior armor&source=bl&ots=sl4TXI9DlG&sig=d6vCJl_AS1fv6d67yO8WvsqUWw4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT0q_y7ajSAhVJOSYKHZhvCeEQ6AEIWTAQ#v=onepage&q=Okinawan warrior armor&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also someone in the last thread was asking what a Roman soldier wearing lorica segmentata with a Late Roman ridge helmet would look like

behold

So, is leather armour a meme?
Are there any documented evidences of using entirely leather armour in combat?
Are they only good to complement other types?

>Not a meme
>greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2014/11/leather-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
Ancient Chinese also used rhinoceros hide before they went extinct.

can't go wrong with the classic

The sex

Perfect helmet passing through

visored barbutes didn't actually exist tho

>perfect
>leaves the throat completely exposed

>What is a gorget

It wasn't used like movies, RPGs and LARPs make it out to be, but various leather armours were certainly used.

Thats not a sallet.

That is what the standard or gorget is for.

Unless you're refering to a bevor as a gorget, how does that really help considering theres still going to be a massive gap between the top of the gorget and the bottom of the visor?

Firstly, most helms don't cover the chin or bottom jaw.

Secondly, that is a shitty ass, missfitting costume helmet, with crappy design all over anyways.

Thirdly, that larp armour he is wearing (and yes, its from a larp company) is not really a gorget, but a pectoral. Gorgets cover the throat. Pic related, I am wearing a lesser gorget in this pic. Note how my throat and neck are covered.

And here is a full pectoral gorget. Notice a difference between the one the guy in wears and this? Having a collared portion is too much work for the cheap ass Indian labour.

Those helms arent perfect either.

You evidently have a different definition of "covered" than I do.

My helmet fits on over the lip or my gorget.

You've no actual knowledge of armour, do you?

And when you lift your head up or move it to the side?

that someone here

that's really cool and almost looks late medieval, just give them some manicas and greaves and that would be perfectly legit armor for centuries onwards

Jut fyi, clownfag is a legit historian and fights bohurt irl. He knows his stuff.

Lets not even get into the fact that the vast majority of real men wouldn't have had any throat protection.

The articulated plates move with it. My helm fits over the lip. The sports I fight in don't allow for any gaps that a sword or broken polearm haft could fit through.

I asked in the last thread what Okinawan Pechin wore for armor and was was told to re-ask in the new one; also that there'd be Okinwan procession prints
>desuarchive.org/his/thread/2387003/#2404467

not that guy but nice

You say that like its something rare or unusual.

The vast majority of real men werent wearing "perfect" helmets either then.

Except that helm is still poorly designed by someone who has a vague idea of what the armour should kinda look like, but no idea about its proper measure or fit.

Point is, its a bad costume bucket.

Exactly. Why are we arguing?

Because you're arguing in favor of a height that no groget actually covers in

Why does it need to be a gorget? A bevor would cover that area just nicely.

isn't this from that From Honor game

nothing in it makes sense why bother

A bevor is a kind of gorget anyways. Whatever. Shitty armour in a shitty pic.

Nope. This predates the game. The "hours of research" they did was to browse online medieval collectable stores and pic out what they thought looked cool. The designs of the armour in that game are atrocious. The vikings look like Amon Amarth cover art (cool, but fantasy), the generic knights look like they are wearing crap banged out of old Buick fenders, and the Generic samurai look like they layered 50 stolen placemats from the local Japanese steak house.

I've got a lot more but I gotta go to class soon

Not the real thing, an accurate reproduction of Song-Yuan Period Chinese Armor.

Reproduction of armor worn by the Khitan Liao Dynasty.

>evolution of the ill fitting helmets

The Jiajing Emperor surrounded by his guardsmen. 1560s.

Qianlong in Qing Period Brigandine.

Its not like the real helmets would have been custom made, tailored masterpieces either.

It's better to have a helmet that's too big than too small my guy

plus in the Late Empire helmets were mass produced in state-owned factories rather than made by private workshops so not all of them would fit properly

But real point:
a replica of a Roman helmet costs maybe $170, a custom fitted one is going to be twice or maybe even three times that

T'ang Period armor worn by cavalry guardsmen.

mass produced or not, they'd know to have them fastened properly with as much padding as necessary to make it possible, a helmet that wobbles on your head is the worst thing if you're gonna get into a fight.

back during WW2 they had this myth among the troops that if shrapnel or a very angled round hit the helmet and this was strapped in, the soldier's head would absorb more shock and risk an injury, while an unstrapped helmet would fly off on it's own, that's why soldiers all had loose helmet in movies and such up until vietnam when they moved to the PASTG, but in reality, a loose helmet had a higher chance of turning a gracing hit into a direct one and would obviously not protect against blunt trauma, move around uncomfortably and get lost.

see
>a replica of a Roman helmet costs maybe $170, a custom fitted one is going to be twice or maybe even three times that

And you dont think people with an extra thousand years or so of hindsight dont know that? There's only so much padding will achieve.

Once again Late-Romanboos prove to be superior to meme-imperial-romanboos.

Also sad this image doesn't cover equipment from earlier periods.

Alright user. I look forward to more prints

Those sexy irish bastards

The plates were actually sewn on cotton not mail.
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/02/plate-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html

16-17th century armors are underrated

My faith is my armour.

hey i found better quality pictures in this link
flickr.com/photos/toranosuke/8543957686/in/photostream/
knock yourself out

>a helmet that wobbles on your head is the worst thing if you're gonna get into a fight
What is artillery

I just looked through pretty much all of it and didn't really see anything that looked like armor there but all of it is definitely super interesting and I will be taking closer looks into it. I was aware of the Okinawan/Chinese/Japanese missions and especially the ryuugakusei and sapposhi ,etc.so all of this is great. Thanks a lot.
Back on subject of the armor however, I used google for the upteenth time to find something and the found a description in The Most Daring Raid of the Samurai by Stephen Turnbull. In the book it talks about illustrations in the Ebon Ryuku Gunki that depicts Okinawan warriors in Chinese armor, specifically resembling Ming armor, and also wearing mixtures of Chinese and Japanese armor as well; maybe for embellishment but it also might have some truth to it.
>books.google.com/books?id=o9YEHZKQG0QC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=Okinawan warrior armor&source=bl&ots=sl4TXI9DlG&sig=d6vCJl_AS1fv6d67yO8WvsqUWw4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT0q_y7ajSAhVJOSYKHZhvCeEQ6AEIWTAQ#v=onepage&q=Okinawan warrior armor&f=false

Bomb vests are not armor

Sorry bout that. I was gonna post other less quality pictures from those prints. Some of them are surely soldiers as indicated by their swords, right? Some even resemble samurai (not including the japanese ones in the procession). There's also a pic of a museum description that says there are pechin in the crowd

picture of the royal guard (though maybe in a ceremonial capacity?

on the left a craftsman works on carvings for a helmet, on the right a hoplite puts on his armor seeming to suggest that the greaves would be put on first

You know I've always wondered, the Romans wore plumed helmets because the Greeks did it but why did the Greeks do it.

>naming your tank absolute death
youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0

It's leather, it's already light, why are you making the entire suit of scaled/lamellar leather if you only need certain places doubled?

You are doing a whole lot of extra work for little added benefit.

This is the picture we were talking about. I said that leather lamellar seemed silly as it was a whole lot of extra work to make without any apparent benefit compared to normal leather armor.

I mean if you have a giant pile of leather scraps and someone told you to make an armor out of it, maybe?

>tfw even today armor is still a rich man's game
Suffering.

>not having finely articulated all encompassing armour

forgot image

> Naming your absolute death tank

>Ehon Ryuku Gunki
I wouldn't trust Edo period woodblock prints.

They anachronistically depict Sengoku period warriors with Genpei era armor or Imjin War adversaries with Song dynasty gear.