Did Diogenes actually think Greece would be a better place if everyone masturbated in public and shat in the theaters...

Did Diogenes actually think Greece would be a better place if everyone masturbated in public and shat in the theaters like he did?

Why wouldn't it?

Yes. Crazy people wants crazy things.

That wasn't his point at all.
Try again.

Probably this. He was likely making a statement about society more than "do as I do and the world will be a better place." In any rare Ancient Greeks didn't fall for the egalitarian meme like modern westerners do so I doubt he thought everyone should act like him.

That statement being...?

That norms are a waste of time.

MOMS GONNA FREAK

You don't have to follow the rules of society as long as society is willing to prop you up because you are hilarious.

The hypocrisy of society in all fronts.
That we're just animals pretending to be something more.

And more

So in other words shit in the theater. Get it.

Rules and moral philosophies at the time were self-indulgent and ludicrous, put in place by man alone and not objective truth. That's why he fucking hated Plato so much, and told Alexander to fuck himself.

No, he didn't, but he should've preached it, even Alexander the Great said that if he wasn't Alexander the Great, he would've been Diogenes, the dude knew what was up.

Who /heraclitus/ here?

That would imply Diogenes ever actually existed.

Sounds to me like he was just a homeless bum who gave enough people keks to be remembered. He's not intelligent, just lolzworthy. If he was truly redpill he'd go out and live off nature. Instead he stayed in a city to leech off society and complain about them when all he had to do was just get away from them if he didn't like them. Try talking to some of your meth addicted hobos today, it's the same story. Blame society for your problems then complain when someone says you know you can actually live in places that are hundreds of miles away from society.

t. NEET in mother's basement

No.
He was just some random homeless guy stirring up trouble out of boredom.

Not exactly but a good point.

>Complain that mom is the source of all my problems
>Claim that mom's rules are inconsistent with whatever my ideals are
>Stay living with mom

Back then there was so much open space and pretty much everyone was a survivalist. There's no reason he couldn't have fucked off inna woods. Of course, other than laziness and the fact that he probably had a mental illness.

If everyone was as unspooked as Diogenes it would make tyranny impossible, war rare and the world an objectively better place. Poopy theaters are a small price to pay.

>Back then there was so much open space and pretty much everyone was a survivalist
That's pretty wrong no matter how you look at it, especially in ancient Greece.
>There's no reason he couldn't have fucked off inna woods
Because he was a philosopher, and no one can hear your philosophies when you are in the wild fending off lions. Diogenes lived in self-imposed poverty, and did produced writings, though most are lost. He wasn't some bum; he was a thinker and that is how he could so eloquently oppose Plato and otherwise get away with the things he did.
Plus, living on the street wasn't without its dangers. He was kidnapped by pirates and sold
as a slave, and it was only through the steadfast application of his personal philosophy that he got himself freed and made it to Corinth.
>Of course, other than laziness
If he truly was lazy he wouldn't have challenged the establishment and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But then every Diogenes would act like a normie because acting like Diogenes would no longer be ironic.

Then acting like a normie would be the new irony.
>the fuck you aren't shitting in the theater?!

Yes.

>he was a philosopher

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

t. butthurt Platonist
Note how he's included in Raphael's School of Athens

Better and better. He believed that society was a construct which needed to be torn down for humanity to be able to live according to its nature.

Even your beloved Plato aknowledged him as a "Socrates gone mad". That's not how you describe some bum on the streets.

>Because he was a philosopher
According to who by that time? Alexander?

Plato and Aristoteles, who both reckognize him as a fellow philosopher

Only a falseNEET would attack a truNEET like Diogenes.

He wrote philosophical works and directly influenced the school of Stoicism. Plus, all of his acts were to advance his philosophy.

Alright, I'll take it back. Still a hobo tho.

Is Paul Reubens the modern Diogenes?

Forgiven and checked.

This 100%.

People who admire Diogenes definitely deserve to live in a community of street shitters like Diogenes. But, like Diogenes, they don't want to go away and do their own thing, they want to live near other people who don't share their views and try to impose their views on them, which they fail, but not without making other people's lives shitty.

Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun."[7] It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I would be Diogenes."[8]

the real GOAT

people would kill each other and no one would enforce justice

He wasn't trying to tell everyone they should be like him, he was trying to show how ultimately arbitrary all of their social conventions were.

Sophists didn't believe society would be better if everyone were virtue free rhetorical assholes, but being one is certainly a potent way to advance your standing.

Unfortunately they're a lot less arbitrary now that they're institutionalized and enforced by the state on a much wider level.

no because he didnt mean anythng of it, he just did it for shits and giggles

>literally none of his writings survives
how do u even kno faggot

Outsmarted Plato, Socrates and even the man Alexander himself. Even Plato respected him, calling him a "Socrates gone mad"

That's way more than a bum

Apparently Diogenes' answer was "truly, if I were not Diogenes, I too would be Diogenes"

The real autist more like

>at the time
>seriously implying they still aren't