What the fuck was their problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzungar_genocide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_in_the_Eight_Banners
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

corrupt as all hell

Degenerate nomad blood

They weren't quite ready to accept Jesus into their hearts.

Dzungars

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzungar_genocide

When I went to China our tour guide was very detailed about the Emperors and their sexual practices.

desu makes me wish I had my own harem. Humping girls all day sounds great.

They were great for the first 200 hundred years: 1616-1839.
But they didn't realize that the Opium War (1839-1842) was a game changer (despite losing the war). They should have immediately tried to reform but they didn't and wasted time.
By the 1850s and 1860s it was kinda too late. The Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) and the Arrow War (1856-1860) disrupted too much for effective reform.
Plus the Empress Dowager Cixi got control and from 1861 to 1908 she resisted any real reforms. By the time she's dead, it's just way too late, the dynasty falls in 1911.
That's the quick version.

They were a very stable and prosperous, so stable that China completely failed to keep up with Europe in industrializing, so Opium Wars fucked them all over, everything fell to pieces with the Taiping Rebellion and Boxer Rebellion, and then the Self-Strengthening was strangled by paranoid fucks like Cixi who feared losing their power.

China also had no concept of the nation state, leaving it without the cohesion necessary to deal with the West on an even footing.

That looks like the flag of Bhutan.

Because they didn't have Koxinga the Pirate King.

That and Qing approach dramatically differs from the 'Han Chinese' approach.

Qing is too regressive in terms of culture, science and technology.

This is in direct contrast to the progressive Song and Ming dynasties.

Qing wastes men in frivolous military
campaigns. Ming though imperfect, use tactics
and adapt Western/New Tech, accept Mercs
from Japan/Korea/Germany/Swiss/Arabs and
new firearm tactics.

Han Chinese Majority also became bottom feeders in the Qing. From the masters of their destiny under the Ming to the lowest in the Manchu's hierarchy.

Qing's arrogance, complacency and decadence ultimately led to the Chinese Science and technology falling behind the West. And I mean, even the fucking Ming ain't that far behind.

Your info is painfully out of date.

And yet the Ming were the ones who fucked up so bad the Manchus were invited in to replace them.

They weren't Chinese

Winning one skirmish convinced them that they didn't need guns

What the fuck was this guy's problem?

this
a literal mafia leader who can't keep his guys in control

this is still so hard for me to understand, Lin Zexu got it but he was disgraced from the war so no one cared when he said we need to build european style armories and shipyards

bad bitches

Huh? The Manchus used guns and cannons.
The reason why the West was so powerful in the 19th century was because they had nationalism. Nationalism allows you to raise higher taxes and ask your people to fight loyally for your country.
The Qing failed to foster a nationalism that could bind the Manchus and the Han Chinese together.
That means that in the 20th century, we get Han Chinese nationalism. That's why the Tibetans and the Uighurs don't feel like they want to be part of China (PRC) today.

The Qing weren't repressive in terms of culture or science and tech. They kept their Buddhist faith and adopted Confucianism. They used gunpowder like every other major empire at the time. Frederic Wakeman's The Great Enterprise shows how competent the early Manchus were.

The Han Chinese majority also didn't become bottom feeders.
The Qing dynasty got the Manchus and the Han Chinese to work together. Half the people who passed the civil service exams were Manchus and the other half were Han. That meant half the top gov't jobs went to the Han Chinese.
This system worked well for the first 200 years.

The problem came after the Opium War.
Since one of the things that unified the Manchus and the Han Chinese together was Confucianism, it was really hard for the Qing dynasty to drop Confucianism and adopt nationalism. And so they could only do Self-Strengthening Reforms which can be summarized as Chinese Learning for Substance and Western Learning for Function (中体西用). This reform didn't change Confucian values or the Confucian education system and only adopted Western guns, cannons, factories, etc.
The fundamental problem with that approach is that you'll never get the latest in tech and never truly understand why and how those weapons were created. You can only get a half-assed reform. (This shit gets too long, that's why I only did the quick version...)

Ironically, they did manage to unite Han, Manchus, Mongolians, and other ethnicities in the military "banner" system (similar to the Byzantine themes system), but then explicitly kept the bannermen segregated from civilian life, likely to prevent military revolts.

The terms "bannmen" and "Manchus" were for a long time used interchangeably by historians, and to an extent this makes sense, as the creation of the Eight Banners was central in unifying the Jurchen clans into one "Manchu" ethnicity and allowing them to first drive out their Han and Korean overlords and then invade China. As time went on, though, explicitly Han banners were formed, and then, as a mixed-race population developed, what banner you were loyal to had only a slight connection to your heritage.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_in_the_Eight_Banners
Honestly I hate to just link to Wikipedia but this article is pretty dope, at least for the early dynasty, which I find to be much more interesting than the decline and fall. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty

China just generally had a serious problem with education and learning, when the main motivation to get an education is to enter the government bureaucracy and the main topics of study are all looking to the past, whereas the West had developed the university system and a genuine pursuit of science by the scientific method.

Sniffed their own farts for way too long, refusing to modernize until they got their shit kicked in by Europeans and Japs. But by then it was way too late.