I know the Romans stole Greece's gods. But what were their gods before they stole Greece's gods?

I know the Romans stole Greece's gods. But what were their gods before they stole Greece's gods?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They didn't "steal" Greece's gods. They encountered the Greeks and found their gods similar to their own so they thought up certain equivalencies and combined their stories.

They had their own gods. What happened was the Greeks heavily influenced the Romans. So, the Romans began to apply Greek ideas about their gods onto the existing Roman gods. Though, they did add some wholly Greek gods every once in a while.

You have to remember that very early Rome was surrounded by cities that were either Greek colonies or were heavily influenced by Greek culture.

all of them come from the indo european pantheon

>stole

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Unless I stole Breaking Bad from my friend after he said it was cool and I started watching it too?

This. Anti-romans plebs spread the myth romans "stole" gods from Ancient Greece.

OP is obviously being a bit hyperbole. you know what he means.

They adapted their gods from Greece and merged them with their own beliefs, the Romans didn't steal

Noticing other culture's gods and incorporating them into their own religion was kind of the Romans thing.

The Romans were descended from Trojan settlers, who themselves worshipped the Greek gods before leaving to found Lavinium, and from their descendants, Rome would eventually be founded.

Aeneas plz

This, Romans believed foreign gods to be just as real as their own.

WE

This, hypothetically they could have done the same with Germanic and Celtic gods, Interpretatio Germania for example, but taken to the extreme.

It was also a Greek thing.

WUZ

Probably remixes of the classics:
>father figure
>fertility goddess
>strong youth
that all the prehistorics come up with eventually

TROJANS

It's a remix of that same Indo-Europeanness
It's like one brother copying another's fashion sense.

Japanese mythology doesn't have those.

As pointed out: only if you're and Indo-Eurocuck.

t. virgil

Because they were in the wrongside of the hyperwar

t. virgin
I bet you never even fucked a boy-pussy.

I thought Indo-Euros were Uralic/Finnic slaves, not allies.

>Romans stole Greece's gods
Before anything, read this Now, you may kill yourself.

> myths are now reality

Very few Roman or Greek gods come from the Proto-Indo-European pantheon.

The Romans just took Greek mythology and adapted it to their own pantheon as best as they could.

>Very few Roman or Greek gods come from the Proto-Indo-European pantheon
'No'

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion

nice thumbnail dipshit

>le collective unconscious archetypes

He's right in that a shit ton of gods came from MENA. This being said, alot were built off the original indo-European pantheon as well. .

Mars was the most important

pre Greek and pre Etruscan gods in Rome were crude personifications of nature. The Salii, or "Leaping Priests" who came to be identified with Maors (Mars) date from this time in obscured antiquity.

They were originally Priests of the Harvest who, on certain feast days, would engage in a procession throughout the city nude and wearing Laurel wreaths on their head and leaping through the streets to signify grain growing out of the ground as a supplication to the personification of agriculture to give them a good harvest. And actually, if you watch the intro to HBO's Rome, there's an animation of one of these priests on the walls jumping.

There are not many records of the pre Greek and Etruscan gods, and it's an all together hazy time in history. There's a good section about this in the book a critical history of early room by Forsyth. There are free pdf of it online, you should check it out it's an excellent read for understanding the beginnings of Rome

t. Aeneas