Was Plato right about music and its potential negative effect on culture and society?

Was Plato right about music and its potential negative effect on culture and society?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohism#Against_ostentation
m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxU4LZvdrk
youtube.com/watch?v=fPnWLUEWBQc
youtube.com/watch?v=oaygOuqL4i4
youtube.com/watch?v=6y85Er8-5yk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everybody knows that music is like a drug and you can tell a lot about a person by their musical taste.

Some musicians are better poets and philasophers than actual poets and philosophers

If the musics good it can effect the society positively if bad the opposite music is more powerful then even Aristotle thinks

Socrates said that, Plato is just quoting him.
He also said that music should be censored, so that "bad" music doesn't influence the public badly.

We don't know what Socrates actually said and where Plato's putting words into his mouth tho.

Do you think anyone would do this? Go under the Stoa Poikile and tell lies?

Music is underrated and hasent been explored even marginally

The last innovative "rock" band to make it to the mainstream was Nirvana.
With music becoming abundant, and everyone having more music than they can listen to thanks to the internet, iPads, and so on, its hard for original acts to grow up and make a difference.

There are some interesting spectre contemporary classical music and of course electronic can be endlessly innovative.The biggest problem is monopolism and corporatism it's a cliche to say but it's very true it's sad that the worst board on this site is /mu/ probably one of the worst places on the Internet tbqmfh.

>corporatism
corporatism in non-existent in America. Corpocracy is, and perhaps that what you meant.

What did he mean by this?

The term corporatism is used by nazi ideologists to mean something else.

No. I hate music and never listen to it and I'm fine. Its just bullshit sounds for normies who can't feel anything unless a string vibrating tells them too.

Every time there's threads about any type of art this kind of post happens and I know you have a favorite song

>not listening to string theory mongolian wave rave trancism

How many levels of fedora are you on?

If forced yes, if chosen by free will positive correlation to labour output. Plato was newguy

Preach.

>he likes metal

>not listening to pop fling translucent gargle edgefunk relayism

This

> we are reaching levels of Fedora that shouldn't even be possible

t. 13 year old girl

t.12 year old Slut
You know it's right name a better philosopher than Bob Dylan in the 60s oh I forgot you can't

>not listening to underwater blastnoise tripdub witchhouse breakist theorism

t. literal 13 year old girl

ITT: People who think their post-rock shoegaze techno trip-hop dog shit wouldn't be dismissed out of hand by plato

>people listing nirvana, bob dylan as examples of their paragons

Just realized Veeky Forums has the worst music taste of all Veeky Forums.

t.12 year old dyke hog
But name one

You haven't been to /pol/ and your taste is worse

>waahhh he doesn't like NMH

Back to /mu/ with you, literal human filth.

I hate any place that discusses music because of waste duds like you /mu/ is always been horrible but at least those retards are willing to show their bad tastes you don't so I assume your taste is horrible and let's be honest it is

No its a general term within political science. I'd suggest googling neo-corporatism and reading what its about

pol listens to classic and anime music, the fascist ones, like Wagner and Evangelion OST

No music leads to starvation and anarchy.

>Mozi views aesthetics as nearly useless. Unlike Confucius, he holds a distinctive repulsion to any development in ritual music and the fine arts. Mozi takes some whole chapters named "Against Music" (非樂) to discuss this. Though he mentions that he does enjoy and recognize what is pleasant, he sees them of no utilization in terms of governing, or of the benefit of common people. Instead, since development of music involves man's power, it reduces production of food; furthermore, appreciation of music results in less time for administrative works. This overdevelopment eventually results in shortage of food, as well as anarchy. This is because manpower will be diverted from agriculture and other fundamental works towards ostentations. Civilians will eventually imitate the ruler's lusts, making the situation worse. Mozi probably advocated this idea in response to the fact that during the Warring States period, the Zhou king and the aristocrats spent countless time in the development of delicate music while ordinary peasants could hardly meet their subsistence needs. To Mozi, bare necessities are sufficient; resources should be directed to benefit man.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohism#Against_ostentation

>Everyone who isn't a social butterfly who circlejerks with me on an anonymous imageboard devoted to anime is trash

Classic /mu/tant, cancerous to the very last breath.

Plato (pbuph) was entirely right about music and it's corrupting effects. By god (swt), one should abstain from any form of these degenerating jingles.

What more could you want?

What where did I mention anime you overweight shit eater lmaooo brush your teeth

What if it's music promoting good values like the artist known as Future?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxU4LZvdrk

Wagner is literally the only good artist they like.

Leave the music discussion to /mu/
it might be shit but at least when they DO talk about music they have some knowledge of it

Yes that was probably the most eye opening portion of The Republic, where he talks about certain modes as being inherently inimical to the soul. Very cool.

Are you kidding me? The book is by Plato, starring Socrates. The entire dialogue is fucking fake. It's a way for Plato to express his ideas. A very creative, beautiful way.

No they don't at all the discussions that aren't Asian jingles last about 10 posts with people shitposting like retards it's so easy to trigger those underagers is the the only positive aspect of that broken board.

lol the fedoras are into the stratosphere.

Sacred hymns, folk songs, and military marches should be the only form of music. Recorded music was a mistake.

Interesting didn't he say that all art should be destroyed and the only books around should be on science imagine if that fell thru weww

If it's gods music it should be kept and sacred.If it's demon noise like much of the shit today it can effect your brain in a powerfully negative way

Art is what you make of it.

Popular music is literally just a modern development of folk music.

You may as well say
>We shouldn't make music with technology newer than 1800

Marilyn Manson was pretty good.

As a matter of fact I'd hazard that he was more innovative than Nirvana, even if his ideas didn't ultimately catch on as well.

That's true but the artists sometimes knows exactly what the song is about could be nefarious could be inspiring

It doesn't matter what the artist thinks they know, they didn't do anything if they did it right.

That's exactly what Plato is saying is inherently NOT the case. Complete subjectivity is retarded in general, but NOT Platonic.

Subjectivity for art is a tricky subject

What subjectivity?

>only music dedicated to community, religion and military should be allowed
Spooky

But Plato is fucking wrong.

Prove you're not a pleb Veeky Forums and post your favourite album of 2016.

youtube.com/watch?v=fPnWLUEWBQc

>nirvana
>innovative

You're either baiting or delusional. If it's the former, here's your (you).

Agreed man. Thank you, it makes me comfortable to think there are some standards in defining good art in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=oaygOuqL4i4

It probably gives Elephants nightmares

Post patrician music Veeky Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=6y85Er8-5yk

Nazi weeb

Stop it, i know it's you, anthony.

Look at nigs and rap

Threads like this are always horrible

All the problems with the music industry would be solved if intellectual property laws were abolished and more people adopted the name your price indie label model.