Real reason why Christianism never approached in Japan

Recent movies like Silence want to depict shogun-era Japan (and also imperial era) as a despotic culture where the individual had to bow to the empereor/shogun and only adore him, so Christianism was bad because it made him less faithful in the government and it had to be persecuted.

There is a side note that is not really well discussed: when the portuguese started trading with Japan, they eventually came to pacts with Christian daymios in order to trade japanese slaves in their commerces (they brought them to the East Indies and to Portugal and gave them the most horrible treatments, they also were sold as slaves to black masters, who are often regarded as the only ones who ever experienced slavery, or as slaves to other slaves).

Imperial regent Toyotomi Hideyoshi was disgusted by this treatment reserved to his people and after ordering the Portuguese to return japanese slaves to Japan he banned Christian proselytizing. Heck, a religion about making all men equal used as a tool to get more slaves? They righteously called BS on it.

That is to show how in history it's unlikely to have "evil ones", and with Japan in the specific, which is a culture we study only superficially, the quantity of unproven stereotypes about them doing meaningless evil actions in history are a lot, and at the source of them all is the lack of information on what were the actual causes of their actions.

I'm not saying that they were right to persecute Christians, I only say that the portuguese actually provoked them to do it.

Hope you liked my post and I'm sorry if I made some grammar mistake since English is not my main language. Veeky Forums is my favorite board and the discussions are often interesting, so I thought I could contribute with a subject I've been studying about lately.

Other urls found in this thread:

sakuramochi-jp.blogspot.de/2011/12/legal-motherson-incest-prevalent-in.html?m=1
japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/05/26/books/the-rarely-if-ever-told-story-of-japanese-sold-as-slaves-by-portuguese-traders/#.WLEaan-Zdv0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no this is why japan at its finest

sakuramochi-jp.blogspot.de/2011/12/legal-motherson-incest-prevalent-in.html?m=1

This is total bullshit come on. I've seen articles about unicorns that were more credible.

hmmm

>the quantity of unproven stereotypes about them doing meaningless evil actions in history are a lot, and at the source of them all is the lack of information on what were the actual causes of their actions

Racist Japanese Nanjing denier detected.

> I only say that the portuguese actually provoked them to do it

"Oh no, the white Portuguese took some Japs as slaves - so let's murder simple japanese parishioners in gruesome ways".

Yeah, totally provoked.

>Christianism
Pretty retarded way to spell Christianity, bruh.

What the hell am I denying? You are the one denying what portuguese did making shield of "something bad japanese did". Cause yeah, Japanese were the only nation who did something bad, right? With that mindset why not always come up with the fact that America was born by europeans betraying and killing native americans who gave them food and land when they were wandering and on the verge of death, when we discuss about USA? Or that Spain and Portugal basically deceived, killed and did a damnatio memoriae to the whole populations of South America when they came there, each time we talk about those nations?

Please, be less of a dick and try to contestualize every situation, for history is not like your civ playthroughs on your mother's basement, they're made of men who react to what other men do.

And it was not only "they enslaved some japanese", it was that some daimyo converted to Christianism and those who converted ended up selling their own people as slaves. Not the best presentation for a religion, huh?

But I guess /b/tards are coming here too.

As I said I'm neither english nor american and I also apologized for that in the OP, learn how to read please.

What the hell has Nanjing to do with XVI century stuff you cuck

I lol every time I see those incest arguments. I have known several japanese families when I lived there as an exchange student and their mother-son relationships weren't that different from those in Europe and America. It's only that they have to make everything from Japan "strange" and "perverted" for the sake of spectacular news. It's a plain and boring country just like ours once you live there.

I think OP is spanish, they say "Cristianismo" for Christianity

gonna quote any sources for that or are you just spewing propaganda?

Everyone knows Euro powers use religion as a backdoor into a nation.

Well first off in history almost everyone turns out to be an asshole and the question is why did the Japanese attack the native practitioners of the religion.

Because Catholics are treasonous whores that consort with the Antichrist in Rome and the Nips saw right through their bullshit

The fundamental argument behind those movies is still valid though. "Christianity was attacked because it made the people not obey the gov't."

It's not just the problem of the slave trade. At the time the Jesuits also ruled Nagasaki as Church property. The whole point of Nobunaga's campaign against the Buddhists was that they were acting as temporal powers.
So as long as the religious groups kept their noses out of politics, Christians might have been tolerated. But alas the Catholics had to revolt in Shimabara. You gotta put down a rebellion.
The Protestant Dutch said that they had no intentions of proselytizing in Japan and worked with the authorities at the time. And so they were allowed to trade with Japan.

japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/05/26/books/the-rarely-if-ever-told-story-of-japanese-sold-as-slaves-by-portuguese-traders/#.WLEaan-Zdv0

"One of the most developed, modern and richest countries in the world, Japan has been struggling with an unusually high suicide rate for a long time. Suicide is the leading cause of death in men ages 20–44 with unemployment, depression and social pressure as key contributing factors."

Japan's population today is about 1% Christian.

They are a race largely driven by greed and pleasure.

They need Christ.

Oh god no. They don't need Christ. They just need to get out of that stupid recession that's been going on and off since 1991.

>They are a race largely driven by greed and pleasure.
>They need Christ.

Yeah lets look at all the people that "needed" Christ and lets look at where they re now.

Japan was a despotic culture. It was less righteous indignation and more "hey, those are my slaves".

They call westerners as 'southern barbarians', because they only known them from Spain, Dutch, British colonies in southeast Asia
They see what happen in Philippine (westernisation, christianisation, general cuckoldry) and decided they want none of that shit

Absolute leaders and great civs go hand-inhand m8

Trips confirm.

T. Cathocuck

>they also were sold as slaves to black masters

hot

>tfw there are no Japanese saints beyond the 26 (or was it 22?) martyrs.
>Shiro Amakusa still isn't canonized because no proof of miracles= no guarantee of beatitude
It's really strange because just about every country has at least produced one saint.
>meanwhile Greece is shitting out wonder workers by the decade

>Because Catholics are treasonous whores that consort with the Antichrist in Rome and the Nips saw right through their bullshit
Its funny because during the collapse of Ming China, Chinese Catholics went down fighting both the Shun rebels and the Manchus.

>tfw there are no Japanese saints beyond the 26 (or was it 22?) martyrs.

when will you realize that many people put money above all?

>only blessed status
JUST.

The Franco-British European migration into the Americas was relatively peaceful compared to their Spanish and Portuguese brethren. European colonization was just a normal migration except that the natives were technologically inferior and woefully missing natural resistance to European diseases.

bump

Actually, the Portugese were involved in stirring up the Shimabara rebellion of Japanese Christians in 1638 which eventually led to, or was a convenient excuse for, the whole isolation and closed ports thing.