Mfw holding in an exchange is now safer than jaxx and most mainstream wallets

>mfw holding in an exchange is now safer than jaxx and most mainstream wallets

Other urls found in this thread:

myetherwallet.com/
archive.is/UMbqi
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw dont even know how to use wallets for all the different coins so I just always use exchange

>tfw have ETH in 3 different sites right now don't even know if they are wallets or exchanges

>tfw don't want to spend money on transactions and don't want to lose my money if my computer breaks down so always use exchange

this and I've been in crypto for 4 years

my eth wlallet seriously thought I'm gonna download 60gb

they must be retarded

the fucking wallets is what keeps normies away

Wallets are outdate concepts, no reason to use them when exchanges exist

>tfw have 90% of all my coins saved on cd, usb and paper wallet and also have online wallets on all major exchanges with the rest 10 % of my coins to be able to buy the dips etc..

What if exchange gets """hacked""" and they take all your coins?

Says the MTGox user

It is insured

Only happened one time

Same place they go when "my" wallet gets "hacked."

Only difference is the exchange has some incentive to try to keep their business safe.

>I don't even know what a cryptocurrency is

What are the best exchanges to use from Veeky Forums standpoint? Trying to get into this crypto meme nonsense.

desu the first currency that enables a compressing transaction log or a bounded-space log will take over both eth and btc in days senpai

What is insured? Gemini is all I know of, aand they have usd insured, not crypto

>2017
>Not owning a hardware wallet
Are you niggers serious?

if that happens to the major exchanges, you got bigger problems to worry about

What exchange are you faggots using? Coinbase has fucked me so many times I refuse to use them.

bittrex

I like poloniex. Biggest exchange, theyre a but more selective about what coins they host so you won't be able to partake in a lot of the memes but you're safer in the long run

Only smart person in the thread

Only reason to use a wallet is if you stake, hold a node or do special mining, otherwise it's pointless.
>have to sync blockchain each time
>if you backup sometimes need to sync that shit for multiple days depending on coin
>sending coins in and out of wallet costs fees
>depending on coin you might need shit ton of space
>can't quickly trade if you see an opportunity as opposed to having direct trade option on exchange
>exchange only worry about losing password, wallets worry about losing/damaging/corrupting hardware

>tfw keeping my BTC and ETC stash on paper wallets hidden inside various books

There's going to be so many nucoiners learn the hard way when the next Gox or Cryptsy happens.

What's the best ETH wallet to deposit exchange shekels?

>don't need to worry about exchange stealing your money
you forgot that one

where it was ensured ? bfx ?

Gemini and GDAX are both insured to include crypto. But the payout is in dollars, so if you lose 100 ETH at $400 you get back $40,000, given how long insurance payouts can take you might be paying $100k to get all your ETH back. So even for the exchanges that are insured you should STILL keeping them on your own private wallet.

How the fuck is an exchange "insured"

At least coinbase is actually FDIC insured.

>mfw one hardware wallet inside a vault
>three cold storage software wallets
>emergency panic sell coins on two exchanges
>backups buried underground

GDAX (same company as coinbase) and Gemini are FDIC insured. If you get hacked that's on you, if the exchange itself gets hacked you get back the $ amount of the coins at time of hack.

coin base is FDIC insured, do you all store cash under your mattresses too? I mean I would but I live in trucking Oakland.

>backups buried underground
r e d p i l l e d

noob here

Trying to figure out these fucking wallets and exchanges and shit is confusing as hell.

I tried mycelium - oh wait it can't do etherium coins apparently? Holy shit did the dev really try to add ads to his wallet?
pass

Okay, how about jaxx - oh jesus why is the rating on this so fucking low?
thanks but no thanks

Let's try electrum on desktop - oh it can't do ethereum or anything but bitcoin either?
goodbye

Exodus maybe? Where the fuck did it install? Seriously it didn't even ask me where to install? This shit's sketchy as fuck.
hasta la vista

coinami - open source, multicoins, not nearly as sketchy as the others, okay I'll go with this for now.

Still don't know wtf to use on my desktop. I've also got a coinbase account but no clue how to actually add my wallets to coinbase.

What a shitshow. There's no way any of this stuff is going mainstream in its current condition.

You guys have any advice on what to use for desktop and phone that's multicurrency and syncs, but doesn't require 60 niggabytes of space on my hard drive?

Unless you have the private key...

Just back up your keys. Print them out. Put them in safe places.

>FDIC insured....if the exchange itself gets hacked you get back the $ amount of the coins at time of hack
FDIC only insures USD holdings, retard

It really depends on where you live.

You fucking IDIOTS.

I just make a paper wallet, memorize the private key, and then eat the wallet.

Now I've got a fortune in my brain.

This is the true meaning of one's "worth".

MyEtherWallet, just make an address and save your private key. You can then import it to the program of your choice.

Coinbase USD is FDIC insured, the coins are insured by Lloyd's of London.

is the money even ""stored"" on the exchange? wouldnt it make sense to just move numbers around and have your actual currencies in some super private server?

myetherwallet.com/

>trusting a stranger with your private keys

No, it is stored on the blockchain. The private-keys are on the exchange though. So unless you can get those, only put the amount of coins/money that you feel comfortable losing there.

>myetherwallet.com/
why would I use this instead of coinbase?

>AND you did not have two-factor enabled
learn to read

I don't get this meme.
I've transferred ETH/BTC in and out of coinbase in a matter of minutes, on multiple occasions.

How do you store shit like ark, strat and bat in a hardware wallet?

Because you have the private key. It's not actually stored on anything, the money is on the blockchain. This is just an interface. The JSON file that you download, that contains your key, just put it in a safe spot and make many backups, print it out, etc.

You can purchase ico tokens and have some connection to the ethereum network. Also your coins are in your private wallet in which only you have access. If coinbase locks you out of your account or it gets shut down you still have your coins in a safe place to hodl

Some of the anons in this thread are some of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever come across on Veeky Forums, and that's saying something.

Also, once you make the key, you can import that key into a phone wallet or a program like etherium wallet or metamask. If you don't have the keys yourself, you don't really have your coins.

>just lost everything I had in Poloniex because my BTC up and disappeared
>no trades
>no withdrawals
>no open orders
>no sign of where the BTC went
>scammed for everything I've made when I thought I was getting rich

It had to go somewhere. What was the deposit address?

Okay, this makes sense. Now can I use these guys with other coins, or just ethereum?

I would like to be able to manage everything from both my desktop and my phone, not just one or the other.

It wasn't a deposit. The BTC were in my polo account. I made a stop-limit buy order and when the stop was hit the open order disappeared. I figured I'd bought the coins and was happy but I had no coins in my account. No BTC had been refunded as if the order was cancelled, no coins credited as if the order went through and no trade history as if it ever happened. You can see the deposit in my account from yday, confirmed and highlighted green like any other. There have been no trades, no withdrawals and no open orders since that deposit came in and was confirmed by poloniex yesterday but somehow I have 0 BTC balance.

...you traded all of your current coins in a single transaction?

Dude...

I hold all my coins off exchanges in my own wallets. I got paid this month and decided to accumulate a few more coins to hold long term. It was a trade inside the exchange, not a trade between wallets. How the fuck was I to know it would disappear. Also I traded all my BTC not all my coins.

Just ETH and ETH Tokens like ARC, BAT, BNT, DGD, DGX, GNT, GNO, etc.

Did you contact support?

Of course but apparently that can take months

The wallet is between 20-30 gb. If its bigger than that you have a serious problem and should restart the sync. With an SSD and a good internet connection it should take 3-4 hours.
pic related.

Is the ethereum blockchain really stored outside of appdata? What an utter shitcoin

Keep hounding them until they respond back.

Was ARK wallet a keylogger?

Wait up to 7 days for support reply, and if no reply go make threads on plebbit. Polo support is very PR-sensitive on plebbit.

Will do. On a trip to Europe for a week tomorrow anyway so I'll give them time. Just got those MTGox worries.

I keep the important coins, BTC/ETH/LTC on actual wallets so there's no risk of losing them. I have just a little of each on bittrex and use those to get the pump and dump coins. No point in getting the whole block chain of something that I'll probably sell everything of in a week. Then once I've sold everything back to BTC I'll transfer some of it back to my wallet.

My endgame is to just end up with a bunch of BTC.

wrong picture

They're not going anywhere. They just have a buggy stop-loss system. This isn't the first time.

>you can import that key
> etherium wallet
how? I don't see the option.

>he's never heard of exit scams

This ain't alphabay phaggot.

Did Alphabay exit already?

No they're way too big for that. Instead of pulling an exit scam and running off with everyones Bitcoin at once, the admins could just setup new vendor accounts and easily pull a new exit scam every day without impacting the reputation of the site.

Between Mt. Gox and Cryptsy I lost 20 BTC.

Didn't get anything back.

>tfw hid my BTC and ETC stash on paper under my neighborhood nigger's workboots

>brb downloading my btc
>2 days later still not finished
stay mad grandpa

>missing the entire point of my post

Hello nigger

>missing the entire point of my post

stay dumb grandpa

What's wrong with jaxx? I use it, is it not secure or something?

You go to Accounts > Import Accounts

Then you drop the JSON file that you downloaded from MyEtherWallet.

no, find the recent articles about them

J A X X

A

X

X

Will do, thx

Jesus, I hope my 0.04 eth is safe until I get home.

archive.is/UMbqi

Probably, they have to be able to network in to your PC to begin with, then get the file that stores your unencrypted seed words.

So is coinomi the verdict for cold storage? Altcoin storage is nice.

>not getting a wallet through an offline fresh linux install and then personally tattooing the key on your dick where no-one will ever see it

Enjoy being a no-coiner.

Inb4 you get gay with some dude or fuck some nasty girl who knows about crypto and they empty out your wallet.

>being gay
>fucking roasties
>having physical intimacy whatsoever

That's not cold storage though. Personally I store it on paper, encrypted flash drive and stamped onto a piece of steel. I lost 18 bitcoins once. Never going to let that happen again.

en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage

you can store strat on a ledger nano s

I was under the impression it was a windows/linux program that I could put on the laptop I use for storage. My phone is totally not secure, I don't even check my email with it. The laptop a shit too, only 3 gigs of memory so it won't run the standard ethereum wallet/node. I just want to safely hold eth. And maybe doge. And tokens would be cool. That fucking waves bullshit, needing chrome because the wallet's A FUCKING CHROME APP. I have an idea guys, let's put our wallet in the most-attacked program on any computer, the browser. Idiots.

So I get back home and send my 0.04 eth to bittrex, I see one confirmation on the transaction and go ahead and delete jaxx forever. But it still hasn't hit bittrex an hour later. Eth slow tonight? I could see why.