7 Deadly Sins

I've been thinking of the seven deadly sins recently, I was trying to see which one I incorporated the most into my life. I decided it was Pride. I did a little research and most places agree that pride is the worst of all the sins. I was wondering why? What do you guys think is the worst? Also which sin do you think you incorporate the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pride is kinda seen as the sin from which all sins derive.

Because it was for the Greeks, and Christcucks have no imaginations of their own, they just slavishly copy ideas from superior cultures.

Yeah, but I think that is kind-of weird. I understand that it is the sin that essentially created the devil. But I feel like Envy or Wrath are worse sins that do more evil than pride.

>pride is the worst
>not sloth

Why do you think sloth is the worst? I can see why it is one of the deadly sins, but not really why its the worst

Because to be slothful is to waste the gift that is life on nothing, also it sort of goes hand in hand with gluttony, another degenerate and wasteful characteristic.

I think Sloth can creep up on you insidiously man. A lot of these other sins are pretty bad, but slothfulness is very hard to prepare against.

Fuck I'm being slothful right now sitting here browsing Veeky Forums, i need a job

I understand that wasting gods gift is horrible, but your not actively doing evil things, your just not doing good things. While Envy and Wrath are actively sinning and going against God and actively making the world a worse place

Things like envy and wrath are part of human nature, where as sloth is using the comforts of civilized life as an excuse to waste life.

There is literally nothing wrong with pride.

>>implying pagans aren't white nig nogs

Says the free marketeer

>muh greeks
>muh degenerate polytheistic culture

Wrath is bad, but Pride can cause Wrath...Just look at all the terribly violent rulers of history. All proud and vain people.

my sins?
>sloth
>lust

I would argue that sloth and gluttony are also a part of human nature. You eat a lot when you can so that you won't starve if you can't find food later. You hunt in the morning so you can relax and eat in the evening

I'm not implying anything, the Greeks may be savage niggers but the christcucks took everything they believe from them, so...

>"The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Relaxation and eating in an otherwise productive life does not constitute sloth and gluttony. Living a life of sloth and gluttony would be akin to today's NEETs sitting indoors watching anime and eating fast food til they balloon up to >250 pounds

>I was wondering why? What do you guys think is the worst?
It is the worst because it is the last ''sin'' to remain just before nirvana. People claim that lust is necessary and cannot be removed, but lust and other ''sins'' towards sensuality is the easiest to remove (which shows that there is no excuse to still have lust)

The object of the pride changes as lust is removed. Pride also is the easiest way to generate ''rebirth'', meaning that pride is the way to show that there is still caring about the 5senses, opinions and whatever hierarchy the proud guy clings to.
It is pure spook and remains sterile if your goal is to stop being unhappy. It helps nobody and it is quite subtle if you do not know where to look.

gluttony has other aspects. It can be being extremly picky, like only eating high quality, expertly prepared, yet small portioned meals.

Its also over-indulgence in general. Drinking in excess, having a lot of sex, etc.

>
The object of the pride changes as lust is removed. Pride also is the easiest way to generate ''rebirth'', meaning that pride is the way to show that there is still caring about the 5senses, opinions and whatever hierarchy the proud guy clings to.

Can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean by caring of the 5 senses, and rebirth?

Everybody who quotes this needs to die. When ever war-mongers use this quote to justify war and other atrocities I just want to gauge my eyes out. Why do idiots always assume they are the "good men"? Why do idiots never realize both sides think they are the "good men" and that both sides are fighting evil?

A lack of perspective is one of the worst attributes a man can have.

newfag detected

I'm so sorry. I'm a lurker, but never really posted

He's giving you a viesw on the 7 deadly sins from a non-christian religion where the goal is to reach nirvana and stop the cycle of reincarnation. A key step is freeing one's self from what christians call the 7 deadly sins. Pride is last to go because it is the source of what we believe, what we know..

>is/ought
>applying uses of the quote to the quoted

as an objective quote, it is good. When people use it to justify subjectively "good" people fighting "evil" it is bad

take chill pill, friend-o.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. He was a son of God—a phrase which, if it means anything, means just that—and he must be about His Father’s business, the service of a vast, vulgar, and meretricious beauty. So he invented just the sort of Jay Gatsby that a seventeen year old boy would be likely to invent, and to this conception he was faithful to the end.

He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God.

>Can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean by caring of the 5 senses, and rebirth?

Pride is the generation of a hierarchy (with the person generating the pride usually near the top of the hierarchy, so that the person believes that the person is good, or at least not as worst as the rest of the plebs, that's the whole point).

Before killing lust wrt and other display of faith in, of importance of the 5 senses, the opinions, views, ideas and so on, the pride is typically about having material goods and good ideas, good grades, good riches, good morality, means to have sensual pleasures over sensual pains, to be comfy by material goods and so on (what people call the opposite of spirituality).
Once all this clinging to form/material goods/sensuality disappears (which is the stage of what they call ''anagami''), there can still be pride but about the achievement of the destruction of pride wrt to the 5senses/views and the means to reach this state, meaning the ''jhanas'' and having seen ''the dhamma''. So there is still a pride, like in ''I have better jhanas than the plebs or other anagamis'' and this is the last stage before nirvana.
The way to reach, from anagami, nirvana is the same as the jump from normal people->sotapana and sotapana->anagami, ie to see that whatever is cared about or experienced (emotions, consciousness, ideas and so on) is not personal, not controllable, not permanent and does not help to stop being unhappy in the short term nor in the long term. The way to see this, for students, is to to have in mind the suttas, typically those accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/ Nidana Vagga, Khandha Vagga, Salayatana Vagga after they are skilled at the jhanas. After this, there is no pride of attaining nirvana, since there is no clinging to the achievement of nirvana.

the way to be skilled at the jhanas is to hear the ''4 noble truths'', to ponder them a bit to see if they apply so far, then to cutting as many ties as possible with the life of normal people (meaning no entertainment, stop caring about career, lineage, and impressing women) so that there is a good basis to stop fueling all thiscare about materialism/sensuality and there is time to ''concentrate the mind'' and learn the suttas and reflect on them.

Kek they based their traditions off of paganism to make it more digestible- it's not the same thing.

In the Christian context, the reason pride is the worst is because man tries to become like God by himself, which was the sin of Adam and Eve. They believed eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil would give them the same power as God.

bump

That is an outstanding oversimplification of pride and the lesson in the Garden of Eden but you're not wrong. I would also argue pride prevents man from submitting to God's will and wishes and like other user said, it leads to even more deadly sins.

This might be a better thread for Veeky Forums

TL;DR: Don't gluttonize, every sin has it's time and place, gluttony does not.

i was always under the asumption that sloth is the worst
sloth breeds the other sins, since it directly combats against your vigilance against evil and practice of virtue
If you don't work (on yourself) you will fall prey to each of the other

I'd honestly say it's gluttony.
>Pride
Like have some confidence in yourself and pride in what you do, don't be ignorant and or arrogant, as no civilized monkey will talk to you, especially people that are actually smarter than you, Dunning-Krueger and whatnot.
Opposite virtue: Humility
>Envy
Envy the phat shit the people who are more well developed than you have, use this envy to motivate you to set new standards for yourself.
Opposite virtue: Kindness
>Wrath
Get mad that the world is askew, get so mad that it motivates you to change the world, don't get so mad that you go allahu akhbar tho/throw a tantrum like a little child
Opposite virtue: Patience
>Sloth
You deserve to crack open a beer or smoke a spliff this weekend user, you did a great deal at work and you finally made it through that philosophical text you haven't really had the urge to read because work was so tough, don't be a faggot NEET basically just being a source of entropy to the rest of the human race, you should always be a positive influence.
Opposite virtue: Diligence (giving your all into your work)
>Greed
Be greedy, you want all that phat shit? You gotta work for it tho, but don't pretend like you deserve more than anyone else (like regardless you'll have pride interloping in most cases, hence it being the worst). Take what's yours, don't take what's your neighbours.
Opposite virtue: Charity
>Lust
Yeah sure, basic human needs, maslows pyramid and all that, also desire EVERYTHING that is humanly possible for you to achieve, don't go on desiring to go to the moon and throw a tantrum because you're not born to be an astronaut (can't handle them G-Forces baby).
Opposite virtue: Chastity
>Gluttony
Like I can honestly not make a good example here, I don't see any case where you would call something 'gluttony' and it would be alright.
Opposite virtue: Temperance (restraint)

Well no. A lot of Christian theology is distinctly Greek (the book of John standing out).

A Hellenistic component was always part of the meat of Christianity.

>subjectively "good"

Redundant

>objective quote
oxymoron

>sloth breeds the other sins,
no, sloth makes you inactive so you do no harm nor good, you just dwell in regrets of not being a normie and ignorance of thinking that being a normie is worth it

OP

Where can I find the seven deadly sins in the bible?

1 Corinthians 6:9 says a lot more than those people aren't getting into heaven, among other scriptures

I have yet to see the seven deadly sins in the bible