Tfw he couldn't fix my nihilism

>tfw he couldn't fix my nihilism

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Peterson is old and dull, you can get all of your "meaning" from this video: youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

All of the merit of Peterson but with a lot more self-awareness.

Humans need higher belief that transcends themselves in order to function
white nationalism

that doesn't fix my nihilism either

I really enjoy listening to him and I feel neither intelligent nor educated enough to argue with most of his theories, but I just can't shake the gut feeling that much of what he says (particularly about myths) is the intellectual equivalent of seeing the face of Jesus in a piece of toast. Humans are great at seeing patterns and gleaning apparent meaning even from random sources, noise.

the cult needs to end. I realized he was yet another humanities conjurer all of 15 minutes into his "psychology" talk

someone explain me this:
his darwinian definition of truth, aka "its only true if it ensures survival"
why the fuck even
the sentence "we will die" could never be True, right? we could never recognize that we will die oit, because that knowledge means we will die out, and thus can't be considered true?
is that a paradox that would happen if you use his definitions?

That's because psychology is a pseudoscience.

at least defend that statement. They take and dumb down good evidence from neuroscience

Why are you putting psychology in quotes? He IS a clinical psychologist and his "talks" are several hour long master level college lectures

what I got from his maps of meaning #1 was definitely not psychology beyond the loosest sense. It was the long tail of Freudian gobblygook mixed liberally with vogue sensationalism from today. Not at all informative

New age gurus take and dumb down evidence from quantum physics. It doesn't make their insane theories true. Psychology is at the same level as new age mumbo jumbo.

give examples of new age gurus. Because that sure ain't all of psychology

Google "new age" + "quantum" if you feel like it.

I'm not saying it is psychology, I'm saying they are in the same level.

so now you're not even linking me to psychology. Get out of here

>Psychology is at the same level as new age mumbo jumbo.

Postmodernist detected

wooww duuuddee

Stop being a pussy and own it you queer.

The knowledge that you will one day die is useful because it spurs you on, you know your time is limited. You bond together with others to reduce risk of dying early, and you leave things and progeny behind to continue your goals.

Wow dude psychology is like, a serious science dude, people just don't get it... Now pass me that bong dude.

Too deep!

(For you).

That's a demon.

jīnn

Dude archetypes lmao I totally get it. Good thing we have a science such as psychology to clear that up.

JEWS HAD TO CARRY WET SALT IN THE HOLOCAUST GUYS

I'M NOT FUCKING AROUND

S O R T

The commandments regarding grain offerings in the Book of Leviticus state "every offering of your grain offering you shall season with salt; you shall not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be lacking from your grain offering. With all your offerings you shall offer salt."

savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good. for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. The World English Bible translates the passage as: "You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has lost its.

only betas talk about survival

>mfw Jordan "Good Goy" Peterson believes Jews were used to produce soap during the Holocaust

How did I ever fall for Kermit's bullshit?

Your misconstruing truth with fact. What is true is what is meaningful, not necessarily factual. That's why a good movie can move you and feel meaningful even though nothing in it is factual.

You're also basing your argument on a misquote, he said that "Truth serves Life", not "It's only true if it ensures survival".

Knowing that we will die is Truth (as well as factual) because it helps bring meaning to our lives. This is the distinction that JBP was trying to explain to Sam Harris

also

>You're misconstruing

>What is true is what is meaningful

Since when?

>Your misconstruing truth with fact. What is true is what is meaningful, not necessarily factual.
why do ideologies always come up with impossibly bizarre meme definitions to justify doublethink?

what that guy is practicing is not accepted psychology. It's bastardized humanities thinking using psychology terms

Ab aeterno

>tfw you're surrounded by postmodernists yet you persist

want now to tell you, gentlemen, whether you care to hear it or not, why I could not even become an insect. I tell you solemnly, that I have many times tried to become an insect. But I was not equal even to that. I swear, gentlemen, that to be too conscious is an illness — a real thorough-going illness. For man’s everyday needs, it would have been quite enough to have the ordinary human consciousness, that is, half or a quarter of the amount which falls to the lot of a cultivated man of our unhappy nineteenth century, especially one who has the fatal ill-luck to inhabit Petersburg, the most theoretical and intentional town on the whole terrestrial globe. (There are intentional and unintentional towns.) It would have been quite enough, for instance, to have the consciousness by which all so-called direct persons and men of action live. I bet you think I am writing all this from affectation, to be witty at the expense of men of action; and what is more, that from ill-bred affectation, I am clanking a sword like my officer. But, gentlemen, whoever can pride himself on his diseases and even swagger over them?

Das it mane

I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground

Corals are marine invertebrates in the class Anthozoa of phylum Cnidaria. They typically live in compact colonies of many identical individual polyps. The group includes the important reef builders that inhabit tropical oceans and secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral

>mfw he was warned. he was given an explanation. Nevertheless, he persisted.

It's a metaphor for the world, life builds on the bones of history.

I think you are unironically schizophrenic.

Then happy to be there along with all the other writers I love.

trolls

Peterson does good work outside of having some eccentric parts of his personality. Otherwise the dude is quite versed in philosophy and clinical psychology and has done amazing work to merge the two. I usually hate coming to this argument, but if you dont see the profundity of his work I do think its because you dont understand the content or the gravity of the subject matter.

That being said: if you want purpose, listen to his lectures concerning phenomenology. Heidegger, Neitszche, are good related readings even though I dont think Neet-chey ever messed with phenomenology.

okay. So what good work does Mr Eccentric do in clinical psychology? Why do I need to know philosophy to learn psychology?

Philosophers have things to say about the human experience.

Humans give their own consciousness too much credit. What is it but the early ethos out of the primitive state of pure survival. What good is or own memory? Our own awareness? If it is really worth anything ultimately. You speak as if your mind is too heavy, too full of the tragedy of knowing. When in reality humans do more in believing than that of exercising rationality or truth or freewill.

>What good is our own memory? Our own awareness?

Uhhh everything. If you had no consciousness, no memory or awareness, there'd be no YOU.