Why didn't America listen to him?

Why didn't America listen to him?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States#Scholar_survey_results
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/26ii2s/why_is_jimmy_carter_considered_to_have_been_a_bad/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But they did, they cucked themselves completely.

>A-America is c-c-cucked!

Then explain why we are the only superpower in the world and why you are likely living in one of our vassal states or an irrelevant nation? And I don't care about your history. What is your nation NOW?

cuz he was a manlet

t. controlled by israel

>What is your nation NOW?
America. So I should now.

>Why didn't America listen to him
because Reagan came along and proved all of Carter's claims untrue.

Because most of his ideas were bad.

>Tfw not sure if troll

Not that guy but Carter is among the bottom five worst presidents.

Because he spoke the truth and Americans didn't want to hear it. They wanted to be fed fantasies which is why they voted Reagan.

>America will never be great again! This was as good as it gets! Our allies suck and I hate him! Also there's no way to save those people and declaring war on the offending country is unjustified because I'm a cuck - Carter
>Hold my alzheimer meds, I'll handle this - Reagan

Only 2 spots behind Reagan

Regan should have let the Communists win in Afghanistant or at least bothered to help the moderates out after they left.

Which by I mean, he sort of made the conditions for them to have enough power to do 9/11.

Obama was worse but yeah Carter was pretty bad.

Reagan was out of office when the Soviets left Afghanistan.

Not at all. Even the spread doesn't agree with you (although of course I have a lower opinion of Carter than the spread does):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States#Scholar_survey_results

You cannot seriously believe this
Obama may have been a spineless neoliberal who didn't bother with caring about civil liberties or bending over backwards to the deep state

But at least he wasn't incompetent or overly corrupted like many us presidents

>But at least he wasn't incompetent
Handling of multiple conflicts, handling of divisive issues, funding and arming ISIS, Fast and Furious

>overly corrupted
Auto industry, ACORN scandal

I get you but I'm actually not convinced of that. For context, I'm just going to put it all out on the table: I personally voted for Obama both times, and later voted for Trump. I believe this this shift, in my personal circumstances, can be largely attributed to surpassing the age of thirty, being sick of SJW culture, and yes, a fun shivv-y way of "sticking it to the man".

I wearied of Obama, but he was /effective/, though I've recently begun to disapprove of his policies (I have a fully adult understanding of the failure of the Obamacare rollout. Dad really, really hates carter, and shortly after the website nonsense associated with the above, I honestly asked him if he could recall a bigger lifetime domestic policy fuckup than the Obamacare rollout. I think he volunteered something about the Carter adminstration, though I don't recall what it was). He (Obama) rammed his stuff through, used the useful-idiot press to his full advantage, and even I would have to go back and look again.about the economic policy: the stock market is not the end-all-be-all of the economy, but it did /triple/ on his watch. And despite quietly having supported ISIS(L), he can also take credit for getting bin Laden, another feather. He was /re-elected/. He suckered people again, myself among them. Carter didn't even get that.

Carter really was a worse president than Obama, though of course, this is all pretty fresh. horrid gas prices, being made a sap about the Iran hostages at transfer of power, failing to secure re-election. Carter's only use? HISTORICAL DEMOCRAT PRECEDENT FOR SUCH-AND-SUCH §1182 WHICH ALLOWS PRESIDENTS TO UNILATERALLY EXCLUDE ANY CLASS OF ALIEN, FOR ANY REASON, which Trump is about to translate into success, albeit after a hiccup.

>But at least he wasn't incompetent or overly corrupted like many us presidents
>overly corrupted
Literally the most scandalized president in history.

>Literally the most scandalized president in history
Jesus, that's not even close to being right. Grant is.

>being sick of SJW culture, and yes, a fun shivv-y way of "sticking it to the man".
Trumps presidency isn't going to stop tumblr and trump is a Wall Street shill

25 year rule boyos
25 years, we have this rule cause contemporary shit is gonna be viewed differently with the passage of time

Carter hasn't been President for 37 years

Talking about the trump and Obama talk in the thread

About what part exactly?
Please be more specific on what it was we should of listened to and what it was he told us so I can participate in this thread discussion.

"tumblr" as a node of culture has been irrelevant for the past year or so, leaving it aside from the individual lives of the people involved.

Good. Wall Street is not the Man to whom it is being Stuck. My retirement rides on Wall Street. The Spice must flow.

The Man da gubmint, the establishment.

He absolved Nixon, he was much better out of office than in office, where he could barely do anything. Not to mention, it's the 70s, times were shit, OPEC embargo being the big one.

Carter was unpopular, but he didn't destroy his entire party because of his administration, neither did he radicalize his party. He also didn't willing give a terrorist state access to weapons and funds, he also didn't willingly bow down to globalist pressures and kept America from full on collapse with a major economic shake up without spending money the nation didn't have.

Obama had a worse domestic and arguably worse foreign policy.

The three things you listed, only one was directly his fault, the second, he fixed due to a war, the first was a larger economic instability that he had little control over.

However, Obama's first 4 years are far better than Carter's term, however his last four is unusual, as they were so dramatically worse. I keep hearing people complain about voting for Obama on his second term, it's obvious, he was a great president up to that point. But his horrid policy handling following his re election put him in a similar position as Reagan, whose second term was also a stink fest.

>absolved
Correction, Ford pardoned Nixon

He absolved Nixon by being such a shit president everyone forgot about Nixon and drove America back to the GOP.

carter was a workaholic who spent long hours working into the night every chance he got so he could personally oversee as much as he could from his administration. no modern president took less vacation days than jimmy carter

ronald reagan was notorious for napping through meetings, delegating responsibilities to subordinates, quoting movies as if they were reality and had a reoccurring problem with forgetfulness

funny how their legacies worked out

People are dumb and will change their political beliefs based on minor things.

>we
Burgers never sepak of themselves in regards to political or historical topics.
WE
ARE
SUPERPOWER
kinda reminds me of Fallout

>Teenagers are dumb and will change their political beliefs based on minor things.
ftfy

Carter: "Life isn't just about what you own and materialism, we need to return to family values and hard work, and we also need to learn to save money rather than spending beyond our means."

Reagan: "fuck that, everybody take out a loan, go spend spend spend, take out a mortgage with an interest loan that you won't be able to repay! You're worthless if you don't spend ltos of money."

Look what ended up happening in the long term.

Obama was horrible but carter was abhorrently worse

Note that they just went through a war that they brutally lost and the public is still sour towards their own government. Nixon was already hated by a lot of people, and Ford's decision to pardon him was quite unpopular at that time. Carter not only failed to improve the public opinion, he also seeks to end detente as well, something that was actually good. I am not surprised that he failed to get re-elected.

>brutally lost

They were too traumatized by the way the Iranians concretely demonstrated the fundamental physical limits of US power.

Funny since Iran recognized they were about to become a testing ground for U.S. power if they didn't give the hostages up before someone with an actual backbone entered office.

Selfishness, developed by years of easy living and never being forced to sacrifice.

A president suggesting that America turn down the thermostat to help save energy was so offensive that Boomers decided to dismantle the entire New Deal and Great Society.

They are still asspained about it, so much so that they now have decided it is okay to dismantle the federal government's basic structures.

If they alone can't benefit from a functioning State Department or enjoy National Parks, then fuck it all.

This is objectively true historical analysis btw

Carter committed the cardinal sin of asking more of Americans than to go out to shop, and less than to fight and die in wars. As Reagan later proved, it's fellate or abdicate when it comes to the American electorate

Because look at him, look at that face.

Fuck.

He admitted to seeing UFO's and getting attacked by a swimming rabbit.

>tfw Reagan broke a 35 year streak of all ex-military presidents

Jimmy was right then

Reagan was a clever motherfucker. He would intentionally pretend that he couldn't understand some of his aides and advisors if they weren't telling him the things he didn't want to hear. He was also a true Cold Warrior and drove the Russians up a fucking wall. That fucker was many things but he wasn't stupid.

citation needed

He was not. He was beyond senile by the time he was in office.

Maybe he was smart when he was younger, but when he was president he was long gone.

You have that ass-backwards. Carter was the dumb ass that caused the housing market crash by making it easier for people who shouldn't be awarded home loans get them easier. Reagan on the other hand warned Americans not to live beyond their means and to save up money instead of spending it.

How is it even possible to be so wrong?

Reagan is literally a cult figure for Republicans much like Obama is for the Democrats.

>claim to be for democracy
>Support tyrannical dictatorships all around the world

>claim to be for smaller state and fiscal responsibility
>bloat the defense budget and the create deficit even bigger than Carter

>claim to end communism
>ignore the USSR collapsed mostly because it was an economic shithouse relying on oil exports

>claim to be an American patriot
>give amnesty to millions of illegal Mexicans and don't secure the border

Much like Obama he is praised for the shit he said rather than the shit he actually did.

I know fuck all about American presidents that aren't recent, what the fuck did this guy do that made people act like he's worse than hitler?

He seems alright from the little I've read about him.

btfo'd by a rabbit

Lots of democrats don't like Obama though.

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/26ii2s/why_is_jimmy_carter_considered_to_have_been_a_bad/

There are a few reasons why Carter is typically considered to be a bad president, at least if we're assuming that "bad" in this case means ineffective.
After the Nixon and Ford years, Americans came to view their government as being coldly pragmatic but, more importantly, corrupt and incompetent. Moreover, in terms of international affairs, the U.S. was encountering an international system that was becoming increasingly multi-polar. In other words, global power was shifting away from the two superpowers and disaggregating among the Third World states, Asia, and an increasingly integrated Europe. This disaggregation of power was most clearly symbolized by the U.S. defeat in Vietnam and a series of oil crises instigated by OPEC (a conglomerate of oil producing states based in the Middle East, in addition to Venezuela) that made gas prices soar in the U.S.
Carter believed that he could simultaneously renew America's trust in government and reassert America's leading role within global affairs. He failed in both regards.

A lot of it had to do with his personality. He came to Washington believing that he could change the way politics was made. He hoped to make politics more transparent which would, he believed, make politics more effective and less divisive. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Carter's self-perception as a reformer and Washington outsider concomitantly carried what can best be described as a savior complex. He looked down on other politicians, believing his deep-seated morality made him the only one capable of bringing the Washington establishment into line. Thus, Carter arrived in Washington expecting Congress to fall lock-step behind his policies. Naturally, congressmen from both parties weren't to fond of the way Carter handled congressional relations. This tension between the executive and the congress was exacerbated by Carter's aides, who were primarily old friends and staffers from when Carter was governor of Georgia. Georgia politics are, of course, nothing like Washington politics, and Carter's aides were woefully inadequate for the job. Still, he kept them, much to the chagrin of even the Democratic congressional leadership. Due to bad congressional relations, Carter had difficulty passing domestic reforms on such major issues as social security and health care. If this wasn’t enough to derail his policy-making process, Carter’s hands-on approach to everything didn’t help. He was notorious for wanting to personally review and authorize even the most minimal of tasks, going so far as to personally OK each morning who would be allowed to use the White House tennis courts. Not all of the problems with Congress stemmed from Carter's and his aide's personalities though. After Watergate, politicians promised to make politics more transparent. This, unfortunately, made it more difficult for politicians to do the back-room bargaining that leads to compromise and, eventually, the passage of legislation.

Moreover, Congress as an institutional structure was changing. During Carter's presidency, Congress split into many different caucuses (basically, groups of like-minded congressmen that ally to create mutually supported policies). These caucuses existed, like always, at the broadest level (Democrat and Republican), but now there were additionally a plethora of smaller caucuses like an African-American caucus, a women’s caucus, regional caucuses, etc. This explosion of caucuses allowed almost all congressmen to gain good committee assignments. Congressmen used these congressional committees, covered intensely by the media, as ways to generate publicity and gain support for re-election. Due to the greater publicity that even junior representatives now held, there was less of a need to rely on their party label when they ran for office. Instead, they could run on personal recognition. All of this ultimately meant that there was less of a need for individual congressmen to hew toward the party line, which made it even more difficult for Carter to gather congressional support for his policies.

In terms of foreign policy, one of Carter's strengths in the 1976 election was that he rejected the Nixon Administration's idea of realpolitik, which held that the international system did and should operate solely on the rational calculation of self-interest. Carter instead believed that the United States should frame its foreign policy within moralistic terms, and early in his administration he made human rights the top priority of U.S. foreign policy. In reality, this didn’t happen. Instead, he relied on traditional Cold War conceptions of world affairs centered on national self-interest. After the shah of Iran, who had brutally repressed the Iranian people for decades, was overthrown during the Iranian Revolution, Carter allowed him to come to the United States. (The Shah was suffering from cancer; Carter allowed him to come to the U.S. to receive chemotherapy).

In what is probably a huge understatement, this didn’t sit well with most Iranians. Soon after, the U.S. embassy was overrun and the American staffers there were held hostage for 444 days. Every day that the hostages remained in captivity showed America’s apparent weakness on the world stage. It didn’t help with all of the news outlets reminding Americans at the end of every broadcast that “Today is day [7, 84, 300, etc.] of the Americans’ captivity in Iran.”

To free the hostages, Carter attempted a night-time raid by American special forces. A U.S. plane landed in the Iranian desert carrying stuff for the raid and soldiers. A handful of helicopters carrying more soldiers was coming to meet at the makeshift air field when one of the helicopters flew into the plane, killing many of the Americans. Needless to say, it was a big embarrassment and only seemed to further prove America’s weakness on the world stage. Iran wasn’t the only foreign policy problem Carter faced. In addition, the Soviet Union had been making great gains in the Third World, particularly in Africa. Thus, it appeared that not only was the United States becoming weaker, but the Soviet Union was becoming stronger. This fear of increasing Soviet power culminated with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.
All of this was compounded by the worst economic crisis in the U.S. since the Great Depression. Carter, no matter how correct he may have been, didn’t exactly instill confidence in the American people. Regarding what appeared to be unending inflation, he told the public that all he had to offer were “partial remedies.” In the face of a rate of inflation in the double-digits, he asked employees not to increase their wages by any more than 7%. It also didn’t help that in general, Carter wanted to deregulate most government agencies. Thus, when many people were calling for some sort of government intervention, Carter was cleaning out many federal agencies.

All of these problems, foreign and domestic, appeared to show an ineffective president. At one point, Carter tried to show that he was being an active leader by asking for the resignation of his entire cabinet, who dutifully complied. Instead of showing action, however, the American public believed the act only proved that Carter could not at all manage the presidency. Not all of these problems were Carter’s fault. The economy was doing poorly when he came into office and it didn’t start getting better for a couple of years into Reagan’s presidency. Nor could he change the way post-Watergate politics was conducted. But his refusal to work with others, his need to oversee even the most miniscule of matters, and his inability (or unwillingness) to carry out a foreign policy that adhered to U.S. moral sensibilities and national interests, really did make him one of the least effective presidents of the twentieth century, certainly of the post-WWII era.

>tl:dr: the thread

Republicans constantly hit Carter with the label that he wasn't tough enough when it came to defense. One aspect of this was the Carter Administration's cancellation of certain projects, especially the B-1A supersonic bomber. This was an awkward situation for Carter. His reasoning for cancelling the B-1A supersonic bomber was that he knew about the B-2 stealth bomber already in development and the Air Force told him that they preferred the stealth bomber over the supersonic bomber.

This seems like a straight-forward thing, but Carter couldn't actually explain why he'd cancelled the B-1A because the B-2 stealth bomber was still super-duper classified. So whenever Republicans brought this up in debates, Carter couldn't give any logical reasoning behind his actions. Eventually Carter became frustrated enough with this situation that he declassified the B-2 stealth bomber just so he could tell people he wasn't crazy. And of course, the Republicans immediately pounced on him again for revealing a classified project for political purposes.

Damn, I also forgot that Carter was the definition of SJW liberal. Even Obama was more conservative than him in that regard.

>meanwhile in the real-world, Carter was a southern conservative who often was criticized by members of his own party for being to far to the right