What was Russian rule in Central Asia (Russian Turkestan) like?

What was Russian rule in Central Asia (Russian Turkestan) like?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadid
pastebin.com/7bx22Ta1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas
pastebin.com/jhkeMNJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

probably boring

central asia is probably the most boring place in existence
they just occasionally send migratory groups that end up in other areas like the bulgars or the turks

>Most boring place in the world
>Not Oceania

It did inspire a very interesting Islamic modernist cultural movement that sought inspiration in Western culture to reform Islam.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadid

It was cool as fuck and inspired Russian orientalism.

Australia's tireless campaign of shitposting and losing wars to birds is more than Central Asia has done.

Back to your shitpit subhuman

For the most part, their early rule was mostly spent trying to sedentarize various groups of nomads while building cities and infrastructure (little of which existed before Russian control).

kek, why do painters always make out men capturing women as the smuggest of fucks?

Get out of Veeky Forums

I would be really fucking smug and happy too if I captured women prior to rape.

I think they just tried to portray the truth kek

Basically the Russians doing a lot of rail building.

That and getting continuously frustrated in having to get the Central Asians to stay in fucking one place and obey the Tsar.

They largely succeeded in this in selling the Tsar as basically a great khan or something and upholding the rights and continued semiautonomous rule of local emirs, khans, sultans and whatnot.

Alongside this however was the batshit isnane attempt of Russian nationalists to try and Russify these people.

Also tried their hardest to resist Bolshevism.

Russification succeeded. At least in Kazakhstan most people only speak Russian.

I think that is more the legacy of the USSR than of Imperial Russian rule though.

Living hell to produce cotton. That's why Soviets later on ruined Aral lake by starting the mass irrigation (the destruction of the lake was admittedly gradual under soviets and massively accelerated after the fall of USSR).

BLACKED
GAULED

There's smug and then there's the smugness that comes from capturing the woman you're about to rape with no consequences

>let's design our provincial borders strictly by ethnicity
>it's not like they're going to be independent
>oh no they are independent
>should we change them
>yes
>(several wars later)
>no

>Crossroads of culture and religion
>Home to THE richest land trade routes in history
>Massive armed clashes between some of the world's largest empires
>Produced one of history's richest scientific and philosophical enlightenments
>God-tier aesthetics---and that's just in what we traditionally classify as Central Asia

Central Asian history is one of the most fascinating that there is. Just because it's not politically relevant now doesn't mean that for a huge portion of human history it was one of the world's most important regions. It's so appealing almost because it IS so forgotten and underappreciated.

I mean there's shit like the Byzantine plot to smuggle silkworms back into the empire by sending spy-monks to China. There's the sometimes literal battle between Islam, Buddhism, and Christianity to convert the Mongols and to achieve religious supremacy in the region. The Chinese fought a war with a Buddhist Indo-Greek state over some fucking horses. Not to mention the decades long espionage power play between the British Empire and the Russians in Central Asia so elegantly described in Hopkirk's The Great Game.

Tell me this shit doesn't really fire your neurons

the guy who always made these "great game" threads wrote a few weeks ago, that he is thinking about making more of them. anybody know what happened? did i miss it?

I actually wrote a paper on these guys for my central asian history class last year. They were pretty woke on the religious establishment

Certainly impactful the most in Kazakhstan where there is a large Russian population (25% of the country) and most of the country speaks Russian

you seem to be an actual history enthusiast. this board is not for you, friend. its meant for shitposting and basically /int/memes

Yeah because of the Soviets.

The Empire was split between "having to Russify these non-Russians" and "stop fucking with their culture so long as they're loyal anyway."

>Produced one of history's richest scientific and philosophical enlightenments

You're laying it on too thick there big lad. The scientific and philosophical produce of Central Asia in it's totality pales in comparison to that of any European middling power.

I don't think it's a boring place but for how large it is, and where it is, it sure has been quiet on the intellectual front.

>tfw was supposed to finish a story a few weeks ago
>Still haven't finished yet

It was fun creating those threads but it's annoying that I never have the time to make stuff anymore. I promised myself I'd try posting more stories on Veeky Forums and even made a post a few weeks ago but I've yet to finish anything.

Progress is at 40% for the current story if anybody wants to read it, but this one was also told in those two pics as well(albeit with less detail).
pastebin.com/7bx22Ta1

Sources used are a research paper, Peter Hopkirk's Great Game, and Meyer and Brysac's Tournament of Shadows.

>some Germanic nomad /r9k/obot
>Chad Thundercockson stole roasty and all of your fucking oxen
>decide to loose your khv stone totem and rape some greek stacey
>actually manage to defeat this technologically superior with barbari meme magic and steal stacey
>yfw
literally classical pepe

I agree with you, I have always found the region to have a fascinating history. Be it Greek, Peresian, Arab, Chinese, or Russian, many nations have marched across it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

>he doesn't know that the Mongols caused the renaissance

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadid
It's like a mix of the Protestant Reformation and the Meiji Reforms.

want some books OP

>Islamic reformation movement first manipulated, then destroyed by the communists
>Today we're stuck with retarded regressive Wahhabism
Fucking commies, I swear

well i'll post it anyway, i was inspired by the story user to make this bibliography of everything a bit related to the great game
pastebin.com/jhkeMNJU
there's work on russian rule in central asia() and jadidism(like ), which is relevant to this thread. also a lot about the soviets in central asia during the interwar period in what might be called "the second great game"

Funny how Wahhabism arose in the areas not run by the Commies. The areas that were run by the Commies are still relatively secular today.

the Maoris as well as the collapse of the easter islands are pretty interesting tho

I know, the current state of Islam is more the West's fault than the USSR's, but still, if something like Jadid had the opportunity to spread outside of Central Asia, things could be better.

Kevin Garnett sure is smug

Better yet, imagine if Communism had spread outside of Central Asia.

bump

at least they've got sharks and shit

>Most boring place in existance
If you think violent genocide and centuries long tribal conflict is boring yeah.