Historical self-criticism in your country

German here
The German atrocities during the time of the nazi regime may well be the best documented part of history. Everyone knows that and only a few /pol/sters, edgelords and imbeciles deny they happened.
What about your country though? What about the less glorious parts and genocides?
I'm thinking of maybe Turkey and the Armenians, Britain and their famines in Ireland and India, concentration camps in south Africa and Kenya just to name two to get started.
not that this is not about denying or relativizing German crimes. I am curious if there is self-criticism regarding your country's history's dark spots.
Pic not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Żeligowski's_Mutiny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Note that this is not about denying*
ffs

Yes, Hans. And the only way you can atone for your crimes is letting a million refugees into your country to impregnate your women while you yourselves stop reproducing.

Why only a million?

Fuck off /pol/, I'd really like to know

>self-criticism regarding your country's history's dark spots
guess there isn't any

>it's a nazi sympathizer thread

WHY IS THERE NO QUESTION THIRTEEN DAMMIT!?

Unlucky for some?

Canada was pretty shitty towards Natives and Kebs.

You /pol/tards are worse than furries and bronies with your propensity to force your bullshit everywhere.

GERMANY
YES

But the heading is '21 questions' when there are only 20 questions.

oh wow, where did you get that?

What about the reality of Birkenau? You know, the actual death camp?

Good goy. You were taught well by the Soviets.

fuck off mate. There's more than enough evidence for the holocaust.

>/pol/ with dates
Fuck you lot

Poland here.
Literally nothing. There were some minor things here and there but nothing big. I think the worst would be:
>few pogroms (Jedwabne being the worst - but compared to Germans and Ukrainians we were angels)
>being dicks to minorities (Ukrainians, Belarussians, Jews) - they were all much worse to Poles during and after the war (Wolyn, collaboration with the Soviets and so on)
>Zaolzie in 1938 (but it was a payback for Polish-Czechoslovak war and Spa Conference)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Żeligowski's_Mutiny
This was pretty dickish, but Lithuanians were cunts helping Soviets.

I think that my ass is very big

Thank you neighbour for the first on-topic answer of this thread

The tl;dr is that most Americans are aware of the USA's wrongdoing in general (with more awareness of some things than others) but also don't really know or care about it. It's just seen as something that happened/happens that nothing can really be done about and probably would have happened regardless of what they thought/think.

>3)
Because the Nazis were autistic. And no, they weren't executed on arrival. They were put to work in labor camps.
And yes, they did kill people outside of concentration camps.

See: Babi yar

>6)
You might be autistic if you believe every single Jew was killed at Auschwitz.

>What are all the other labor camps around Europe
>What is Einzatsgruppen

>7)
Proofs?

>8)
Again gonna need proof

>9)
Again gonna need proof

>11)
that was soviet propaganda that has been widely debunked and nobody actually believes it.

>12.
Gonna need proof that there were ever such claims to begin with

>15)
Gonna have to show me some proof of this thanks

>16)
Again gonna need proof

>20)
How do you know they havent?
And people still remember the victims of the US civil war through historical reenactment. Genocides are also nto the same as wars

>21)
Show me where anyone ever claimed that thanks

>rabbit breeding
yes they bred rabbits for the angora project
The Angora rabbit project was a Nazi SS project for breeding Angora rabbits. The objective was to provide fur for the linings of jackets for Luftwaffe pilots. Angora rabbits were raised in Nazi concentration camps, including Auschwitz, Buchenwald, and Dachau.

>post office
Yes I'm sure inmates were sending and recieving parcels from their loved ones

>Soccer team
the pic shows British POWs who were treated fairly unlike political prisoners and Jews

>horse grooming
proof?

>pool with diving board
no doubt for camp staff

>greenhouse
probably for A. producing food to support the war effort or B. to keep the camp supplied

>orchestra
yep it's a true fact that at transit camps there was things like this to try and calm down the inmates and convince them that they weren't going to go and be exterminated

>library
definitely for the pleasure of the inmates

>currency
proof?

>theater/brothel
for staff or sonderkommando

>dentists
proof and context?

>fake chimney
true fact it was built after the war

Is the change from isolationism to full interventionism part of the education?

History lessons in elementary and middle school (ages ~6 to ~13) typically don't cover anything after 1880 and will go over very similar material every year. High school students do a sort of historical survey that focuses on one period of history at a time, so they get more detailed information but again very rarely get past the end of World War 2, and imperialism outside Manifest Destiny stuff around the turn of the century (like the Spanish-American war) is usually only glanced over. If you want to learn about anything past ~1945 (when interventionism started to dominate American politics) you'll have to research it yourself or take a class in college that'll almost certainly have an openly ideological framing.

Elie Wiesel never set a foot in a camp
He's a well known holocaust impostor

People who shit on their own country's history are the worst kind of cuckolds, especially if its actions directly benefitted them.

Interesting, thanks!

Richtig Kamerad!

I'm not German.

At this point I am not sure whatever this is ironic or not.

Why would you visit our board to spread lies and get them debunked over and over again?

I am aware of that. You are on the cognitive level of pic related though.

>I am curious if there is self-criticism regarding your country's history's dark spots.
Bulgaria here. Nope. We've done shit things in the past, but they're overlooked in favour of the "we wuz victims always" propaganda that you see in the rest of the Balkans as well.

I start to see a pattern here. Thanks!

holy shit bratche, was just about to post that

How exactly?

>great grandfather had to be a hardass against other countries so that your country would win and you would live a better life
>OMG GRANDPA YOU WERE SUCH AN ASSHOLE I'M SO ASHAMED OF YOUR GENERATION YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN NICE TO ALL THE THIRD WORLDERS WHO WOULD KILL ME IF THEY COULD OMG

So how about Germany? Memes say that German kids are taught about the Holocaust and Nazi war crimes and how it's all your fault (you, specifically, you monster) from a young age until they graduate, but how true is that? And what is history education like outside of World War 2?

I'll give you context on the dentists.

Here's your dentist, often appears in nazi propaganda about "prisoners receaving healthcare"

Go google him, pic related

btw, those same british POWs have witness accounts, that are very interesting

/pol/ is a cancer on this board

As a teacher myself, in my experience most high school students rarely receive a history education past the 2nd World War. Isolationism is usually discussed in the context of the Monroe Doctrine first and then again during the two World Wars often emphasizing how public opinion changed isolationism is portrayed as America sitting on its hands while the world burned, more so with the 2nd World War.

>teacher calling anyone else a cancer

t. shlomo Goldwitz

There is definitely an emphasis on the 3rd Reich and the holocaust. Personal responsibility more in the manner of staying vigilant towards propaganda and extremism.

Like this user: I'm also interested in how history classes are taught in foreign countries. Often times I've heard that there isn't as much a focus on the history of your own nation, but instead a focus on general trends in history. At least that's sort of what an Irishman told me about his history classes.

Do standard public education history classes in Germany treat the histories of the various states that made up what is now Germany as "German" history? Do you spend more time learning about things like the HRE than you do say France or England? Or are most history classes just surveys of certain periods of time?

>People who shit on their own country's history are the worst kind of cuckolds, especially if its actions directly benefitted them.
That was your statement. My grandpas and other family members were also hardasses for my country. Unfortunately that country didn't exactly have the betterment of mankind in mind at that point. I still love my family. I also have the right to question if their choices were humane and certainly am responsible to have an open eye for any development in a political direction trying to repeat things like that.
Your quote up there shows that you would not think that far. >muh country >muh heroes

>Do standard public education history classes in Germany treat the histories of the various states that made up what is now Germany as "German" history?
Yes. In 3rd and 4th grade you have local history in "Sachkunde" 5fth and 6th grade move to the next bigger entity, in my case a medieval city I live next to that was capital of its own principality.
> Do you spend more time learning about things like the HRE than you do say France or England?
Definitely. France is absolutism, French revolution, napoleon, fall of the HRE.
England wasn't much of a topic.
>Or are most history classes just surveys of certain periods of time?
In later grade that's true, like imperialism/ colonial era

'sup shlomo Goldwitz

>I still love my family.
I am also fucking proud that Opa made it back in one piece after fighting on the Eastern Front for almost the full duration of the war. He became a Russian POW when Königsberg fell and came home in May 1948. He was a simple Obergefreiter who served his country. He told me a shitload of stories when I was little. And he did what he thought to be his duty.

Switzerland here. We had like "an independent" commission of historians and shit reasses switzerland's behavior in ww2 and it turned out, if i remember correctly, that we basically did anything the fascists wanted from us and threatened them with blowing up the tunnels and passes over the alps (the only thing we are interesting for except maybe banks), just please don't invade pls.

Nice man. So that's at least one country having a critical interest in its past and taking the risk that shit might come up.

you say you need proof and post a pic that gives no proof... (I'm not original guy and I'm not a holocaust denier, but pls... this pic is just words "this guy said this or did this"... ok) give us a transcript of that trial on Zyklon B, give us scans of those guys from Birmingham. You just say "no hard evidence can be given", but you ask him to provide hard evidence. you say that leuchter report is available online... where? Give them results that are not just "scientists did science and they say it's like this"... give them fucking samples (there must be someone here who knows how to interpret them)

>USA
Genocide of Indians
Having to fight a bloody war that killed over 10% of the population to end Chattel Slavery
Unjustified expansion wars
Chinese Exclusion Act
Firebombing of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki
"Right to Work" laws
Jim Crow
The Middle East (1945-Present)
Everything the CIA did

The US was in the Middle East before 1945.
See Syria.

I admit that's unexpected. Was that something other than a standard curriculum?

That's France's fault

America's crimes are pretty well known and laid out. Everything else we did was good

I'd debate that, but not in this thread. Thanks!

Turkroach here

On the Armenians,

My great grandfather was an Ottoman officer, fought in the Dardanelles and continued his service from thereon in the 'Islamic Army of the Caucasus'. He went all the way to the end and returned home after the Armistice of Mudros(apparently great grandmother waited for him 7 years).

I didn't get a chance to meet him, still keep his yataghan and belt. Apparently he told stories to my father when he was young but those were bed time type. The real ones come from my grandfather who told these to my father so take all this with a pinch of salt.

He told that when he was in Eastern Anatolia he saw the 'massacres'. His unit was not involved ofc, but he would witness occasional executions near streams and saw lots of bodies. The word was that the ones who were killed were mostly bandits, caught with weapons and stolen shit. He also says that there was no order of extermination even when they were there for peacekeeping before the expedition. He had been to villages attacked by these Armenian bandits, saw the Turkish and Kurdish victims, heard stories about ambushes to soldiers and civillians alike. Says he killed 3 Armenians when a small outpost was attacked, not really sure about the fourth and the fifth but believes himself a goodshot so why not?

So there it goes. I have to say I'm not really sure about this whole genocide. I'm not really a nationalistic person. I accept that that there were killings, wrongdoings on both sides. I'm not denying those Armenians who died, innocent and guilty went down. We have a saying here 'Kurunun yanında yaş da yanar', 'wet wood will burn with the dry wood' which means 'the innocent may get punished alongside the guilty, it is hard to discern'. This can apply pretty good in this situation.

To wrap up, again I acknowledge all the killings and massacres, but was this an intended and organized genocide? I'm not really sure about that.

>Often times I've heard that there isn't as much a focus on the history of your own nation

Serbia here we learn jack shit.

When we get history we literally cram all of world's history in like one semester and then the rest of it WE SERBS GUD BOY GOT KEKED BY EUROPE THEY HATE US REEEEEEEEEEE for the rest of schooling.

It's why the average Serb is a bellow subhuman retard, the battle of Kosovo is the beginning and end of history as far as school goes.

Even if this were true, how is
>we didn't gas jews we just imprisoned them against their will and let millions of them die of typhoid
supposed to be any better?

What do they teach about the Great Kebab Removaling?

Because it wasn't millions, it was hundreds. And they only died of typhus because the Allies bombed the supply lines! Haven't you watched The Greatest Story Never Told? Hitler was a GOOD BOI! HE DINDU NUFFIN!

>they attacked US
>we were just DEFENDING OURSELVES
>FUCK YOU NATO Y U NOT LET US KILL ALL THE KEBAB REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's mostly ignored in schools tho because teachers are too scared to actually teach it, but there my teachers were either violent right-wing retards that were all about KILL ALL KEBABS or violent leftist-retards who were all SERBS ARE ALL MONSTERS. There is no middle ground because of the eternal Serb.

India

"Forever victimhood" is the motto that Right Wing Nationalists portray and
Revisionist History is the methodology of Left Wing Communists.

The Real History lies somewhere in between which our Ministry of Education try to maintain, as bias as it could be.

Children start learning real history from Std. When I was in 6th (more than two decades ago), we learnt "World History" in brief form. It started with Ancient history of Sumer, Akkad, Indus, China, Egypt etc. And moved into Medieval Europe and beginning of colonization.

7th Standard focussed on more inside the Sub-continent beginning with the Old Kingdoms like Ashoka, Chola, Pandya etc. Second part was the Invasion of Islamic dynasties ending in Mughal Sultanate.

8th Standard focussed on the East India Company and later British Colonization.

9th Standard focussed on the effects of 250 years of British Colonization

10th Standard focussed on the Independence movement and the late 20th Century rise of India.

Every fact is very sanitized and atrocities exist only as dictionary definitions. Gore and details are omitted, however it is emphasized that British Rule indeed was oppressive.

The Senior Secondary, divides Science and Humanities and so specific in depth analysis began thereafter. The effect of Muslim Invasion and the British imposed famine which tolled 10 million in 20th century is studied in details in very unbiased and non-apologetic way (as far as possible).

College gets worse when division between political ideologies either prefer nationalistic view which hold Britishers in balance to this day, imply that historical atrocities be judged on the modern day standards, rejects English literature and ideologies that appear Western. The histories where Contemporary India is glorified is preferred. OR the communist view where British cruelty is understood as the effect of the time, acknowledge the social development like banishment of hideous cultures like burning of widow, obliteration of Thugee culture, etc, railway etc, praises English as a ladder for sucess. However same communistic ideals which result in local weaponized extremism in the veins of Mao (the rise of common people against oppressive central structure) is glorified.

Ancient History is largely biased and is taught only through the viewpoint of the Hindus and their scriptures. The local narrative, largely upper-caste rejects Aryan Migration. The oral histories of aboriginals and natives, their genocide and exile into forest are denied in the mainstream and still taught as something mythical and magical. Some Universities delve into these specified fields but are kept from public discourse for fear of backlash from nationalistic powers, such as the one now in power.

You forgot to mention the Japanese internment camps. We went over those a good couple of times at least where I lived.

> I am curious if there is self-criticism regarding your country's history's dark spots.
No. Germany is the only country on earth that was made to feel the guilt of their past actions like this.
Turkey denies the Armenian genocide.
The Brits don't even talk about their atrocities at all.
Most of the world has no idea about Belgium's crimes in Kongo.
That's just to name a few. Maybe next time don't lose a world war and you too will be allowed to "forget" your crimes, like every other civilized nation.

Guess that whole lets backstab krauts thing that we did back in '44 was bit dickish.

No one denies the Holocaust or atrocities brought on by there germans but I dispute the gassing of any jews let alone 6 million

>Here's your dentist, often appears in nazi propaganda about "prisoners receaving healthcare"
>nazi propaganda
typical of stormfags believing propaganda

>rabbit breeding
yes they bred rabbits for the angora project
The Angora rabbit project was a Nazi SS project for breeding Angora rabbits. The objective was to provide fur for the linings of jackets for Luftwaffe pilots. Angora rabbits were raised in Nazi concentration camps, including Auschwitz, Buchenwald, and Dachau.

>post office
Yes I'm sure inmates were sending and recieving parcels from their loved ones

>Soccer team
the pic shows British POWs who were treated fairly unlike political prisoners and Jews

>horse grooming
proof?

>pool with diving board
no doubt for camp staff

>greenhouse
probably for A. producing food to support the war effort or B. to keep the camp supplied

>orchestra
yep it's a true fact that at transit camps there was things like this to try and calm down the inmates and convince them that they weren't going to go and be exterminated

>library
definitely for the pleasure of the inmates

>currency
proof?

>theater/brothel
for staff or sonderkommando

>dentists
proof and context?

>fake chimney
true

All Catholics aren't bad people.

Also, no such documentary named "In the camps" exists

Theresienstadt was a propaganda camp to fool the red cross

>That's just to name a few.

None of these were commited against white people, so they don't count.

>Theresienstadt was a propaganda camp to fool the red cross

Only for one occassion, when the IRC asked again they were told to fuck off.

>The German atrocities during the time of the nazi regime may well be the best documented part of history. Everyone knows that and only a few /pol/sters, edgelords and imbeciles deny they happened.
Come now, I am a German as well and know they are a meme.

>As a teacher myself
Stop indoctrinating our children.

Cuck your nation: The post.

Wow, you guys have a hard time. Brazil curriculum seems kinda cooler compared to what I read on this thread.

From the 1st to 5th year of "elementary school" we teach Brazil's "nationalistic" history, with the Pedro Alvares Cabral discovery and making of Brazil's people (indian, white and black), the colonial period, the 1808 Portugal Royal Family escape, the Empire (1st Reign, Regential Period, 2nd Reign). Among these we see the Republican Revolts, some national heroes like Tiradentes and Zumbi of Palmares.

From 6th to 9th we see World History and Brazil's History, with some Africa here and there. In the 9th grade it's Contemporary History and we see all the coup de etat we had: 1 from Empire to Republic by the military 3 on Vargas Era (2 putting Getulio Vargas on power, 1 removing him) and 1 by the Military & CIA on a "communist" president. On High School we review the World and Brazil History from 6th to 9th grade.

Two things are worth to note: 1) We're highly critical of all our history; we point that the people never seized the power, but it was all the latifundiary elites work with popular revolts here and there. There's even an infamous quote in the 1930 coup (which started the Vargas Era) that goes "let's make the revolution before the people does". We always talk about the torture and censorship on the Military Regime and we started to bash on Vargas newly uncovered extermination camps (it was like Japan's experimentation camps, but with mentally ill people). We bash on the slave abuse and indian genocide during the colonial and Empire periods. 2) The Brazilian curriculum isn't monolitic (yet) and every school have autonomy to teach whatever it wants, but the text books follow this pattern exposed here.

The Trail of Tears, nigga.

>killed over 10% of population
620,000/30,000,000 = .02

Brit here
Nothing, we did nothing, our empire kept our inferiors (read every other people) in line and the fucking French, Germans and Americans fucked it all.
Congrats, you let envy of us destroy the perfect planet we made for you.

Daily reminder the British empire was a horrible regime and the war of independence made it possible for a nation to set a better standard for humanity.

>state of wehraboos itt

lmao good one Hans

Murrikuh, there's prominent self-criticism of some things (expulsion/genocide of natives, slavery), but certain more modern foreign policy atrocities get a bit less attention. I mean obviously you can find people who talk about it, but a lot of it is unfortunately not "common knowledge".

Like the Iranian coup. It's not like the knowledge has been suppressed, it's very easy to find out about, but it's almost never talked about in the mainstream media or in mainstream political discourse. Especially considering how much of a threat Iran is perceived to be. A war with Iran could be closer than we think.

retard

Does the fact that Hitler cried as a grown man prove that he was gay?

Why was he so afraid we would see his bulge for years and centuries to come? Lol!

What was so bad about him having a bulge around his zipper area? Women don't go around with our hands blocking our crotch outline because we know we have nothing to hide.

All people fight for the betterment of mankind, it just so happens your grandparents version was stopped forcefully.

This is so much better than the nude I drew of him when I was 17.

I made his dick a lot smaller like the David.