Historical pictures that make you feel

historical pictures that make you feel

Other urls found in this thread:

rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-long-walk-belfast-1970s/
time.com/2826794/at-d-day-commemoration-few-mourn-the-wars-losers/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanjeer_(dog)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)
commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Polish_victim_of_German_Luftwaffe_action_1939.jpg
ushmm.org/online/film/display/detail.php?file_num=4686
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Germany went war against the whole world and lost
>This is Jewish people's fault

I lost, that picture just made me feel like total shit.

Man those dudes were the ones who got stabbed in the fucking back.

It says Hannukah 1916 btw

rip

F

they look like a nice bunch of lads serving their country, not the evil jewish gommunist boogyman /pol/ raves about

I don't think anyone's ever suggested that literally every single Jew on earth is a negative influence on society

This one gets me.

What's going on here?

Scott and his men arriving at the South Pole to find that Amundsen got there first

A mother asking prisoners freed from Soviet captivity if they have seen her son.

returning POWs from the USSR arriving in Vienna
I imagine the woman is looking for her son

Oh ;_;

British soldier stands over the grave of a downed RAF pilot dug for by the Germans. The inscription reads, ""Here lies an unknown English Lieutenant, fallen in air combat on the 14th of June, 1941"

This is easily my favorite historical photo. It's almost too on the nose.

What is it portraying? Northern Ireland?

No, it's just a street in Northern Ireland.

Yep, he's a bomb defuser in Belfast. He made it

rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-long-walk-belfast-1970s/

those are women

Welsh coal miners.

When I think of everything I've read about WWI, the conditions men my age endured only for their lives to be ended by someone firing artillery a mile away, and to have your life ended in an instant, and for that to happen hundreds of times for years
Shit fucks me up

>Anne de Gaulle (1 January 1928 – 6 February 1948) was the youngest daughter of General Charles de Gaulle and his wife, Yvonne. She was born in Trier, Germany, where her father was stationed with the Army of Occupation in the Rhineland.

>She was born with Down syndrome and lived with her family until her death. De Gaulle's relatives all testified that the General, who was normally undemonstrative in his affections for his family, was more open and extroverted with Anne. He would entertain her with songs, dances, and pantomimes and play like a child himself..She was, he said simply, “My joy”. “She helped me overcome the failures in all men, and to look beyond them.”

>Anne died of pneumonia on 6 February 1948, aged 20, at Colombey-les-Deux-Églises. Upon her death, her father said: "Now, she's like the others."

>On 22 August 1962, Charles de Gaulle was the victim of an attempted assassination at Petit-Clamart. He later said that the potentially fatal bullet had been stopped by the frame of the photograph of Anne that he always carried with him, placed this particular day on the rear shelf of his car. When he died in 1970, he was buried in the cemetery of Colombey beside his beloved daughter.

Released in 1949 by the Soviets with nothing but crutches and his uniform

man, world is a depressing place

That's a rare one.
How did they allow him to roam with that uniform though?

Damn.

They stripped the insignia off him. Soviets wren't going to waste clothing on a German.

Didn't notice the missing insigs. Thanks user.

What's going on here?

American medic treating German soldier with his leg partially blown off. The German hadn't surrendered yet.

prewar uniforms

>those are women
nope

from left to right
>Tadeusz Rajszczak, pseudonym "Maszynka" aged 15
>Kazimierz Gabara, pseudonym "Łuk" aged 17
>Mieczysław Lach, pseudonym "Pestka" aged 15

the eyes of a man trapped in hell

probably KIA :/

Grave for an unknown British paratrooper Arnhem 1944

Hobbling on his cane in the midst of the German cemetery on Wednesday, David Edwards, 89, a British D-Day veteran from south Wales, said it had "taken years" for him to feel at peace about the Germans who were killed during the fighting. With his grandson Chris Edwards' arm around him, the older man burst into tears as he looked across the cemetery. His voice trembling, he said, "These German boys never want wanted to fight us, any more than I wanted to fight them."

time.com/2826794/at-d-day-commemoration-few-mourn-the-wars-losers/

here lie 5 tough Polish soldiers

F

man, this gives me major feels. These man fought for their country and got stabbed in the back.

You would be surprised at the stupidity of some people.

The worst part is, it looks like they are in Russia. They probably saw how badly the Jews they encountered in the Pale of Settlement were treated by their government.

>tfw you read stories about all those jews who signed up to fight for Germany because they thought that even if they lost the war, it would show their fellow germans that they did love and care about their country

never been to /pol/, eh?

Poor guy :(

F

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanjeer_(dog)

Sleep tight, pupper

lel

Rest well, gentle pupper.

india did something right

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanjeer_(dog)
>aged 8

Damn, the good really do die young don't they

I can't find any context beyond that it's two soldiers comforting a child

There's another picture like that of a black police officer defending a KKK member.

Genie the feral child.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

Found it.

guy on the right is Osama bin Laden

A bit too recent, but whatever.

TFW you realise that if any of them survived the horrors of that war they would have to face: >their rights being taken one by one
>people born after 1918 calling them traitors and cowards
>probably dying in camps

This is Stalins grand daughter

>The German hadn't surrendered yet.
He was probably too busy screaming in pain

Very interesting stuff, it's horrible how she was treated.

very touching story

how does this have any weight compared to literally every other photo in the thread before it?

Don't be so ridiculous

Thanks for this thread though guys I really enjoyed reading your comments and these pictures are so powerful

I remember staring at this photo when I first saw it

the look of shock on her face, how helpless she looks, her world just fucking changed for the rest of her life in a matter of seconds

the photographer, wrote how he met her after the war. She was out in a field farming potatoes with her sisters when a pair of Stukas, made not one, but two strafing runs on them.

i did some searching

>Kazimiera Mika, a 12 years old Polish girl, mourns the death of her older sister Andzia (14), who was killed in a field near Jana Ostroroga Street in Warsaw during a German air raid by Luftwaffe.
>Photographer Julien Bryan described the scene: "As we drove by a small field at the edge of town we were just a few minutes too late to witness a tragic event, the most incredible of all. Seven women had been digging potatoes in a field. There was no flour in their district, and they were desperate for food. Suddenly two German planes appeared from nowhere and dropped two bombs only two hundred yards away on a small home. Two women in the house were killed. The potato diggers dropped flat upon the ground, hoping to be unnoticed. After the bombers had gone, the women returned to their work. They had to have food.

>But the Nazi fliers were not satisfied with their work. In a few minutes they came back and swooped down to within two hundred feet of the ground, this time raking the field with machine-gun fire. Two of the seven women were killed. The other five escaped somehow.

>While I was photographing the bodies, a little ten-year old girl came running up and stood transfixed by one of the dead. The woman was her older sister. The child had never before seen death and couldn't understand why her sister would not speak to her...

>The child looked at us in bewilderment. I threw my arm about her and held her tightly, trying to comfort her. She cried. So did I and the two Polish officers who were with me..." [Source: Bryan, Julien. "Warsaw: 1939 Siege; 1959 Warsaw Revisited."]

commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Polish_victim_of_German_Luftwaffe_action_1939.jpg

Good thing the nazis didn't try to exterminate - oh whoops looks like you're wrong you massive fucking faggot

>they never did get that light bulb screwed in

The contrast of this one small man dead on the beach with the massive invasion machine ticking along beyond always moves me.

you tried

British-Indian troops in Marseilles, France. Taken Sept. 30, 1914. Must've been crazy to go to a foreign land, under a foreign ruler, and participate in a war. These guys were some of the first troops, so I imagine that they all got slaughtered in the trenches.

Colorised version

fuck me, this was the last straw. I'm choking up ITT.

Are webms allowed?

ushmm.org/online/film/display/detail.php?file_num=4686
I always liked this footage. Her untied hair and buttonless all black sweater make her look like a woman from the 60s, the color makes it look like she has just emerged from ww2 into the modern era. It really makes you think.

5% died, probably a greater proportion on the western front and who entered early in the war

Fuck..

something runs in the family

wtf i hate steve carrell now

always tears