Hardware Wallets

Does anybody have one of these? Are they worth buying, or is there a superior Hardware wallet that has ETH and BTC

trezor masterrace checking in

will buy nano ledger for my ripple bags if they ever get their shit sorted out

Not worth it.

>lose it
>break it
>magnets erases your data
>someone steals it

Its easier to steal a physical object then it is to steal a virtual one.

> what is pin code
> what is paper seed
> what is keeping hardware wallet in a fireproof safe

None of that means anything if you somehow lose the it.

No one is accountable except yourself.

At least if you keep your stuff online or better on, on the exchange you at least have someone accountable with you.

And besides, realistically the possibility of the exchange getting hacked or having another MtGox happen is so unlikely. You'd sooner lose or break the hardware wallet than get your things 'hacked'.

I got a Trezor. They are pretty fucking awesome. So simple yet so functional. Huge 10/10 from me.

If you have a 100$ worth of crypto, put a 100$ worth of thought into storing it.

If you have a 100k$ worth of crypto, please do not put a 100$ worth of thought into storing it.

If you want to hold, print your keys on paper and put them in a safe.

dumbass, the coins aren't stored in the device itself but on the 24 word passphrase. Print out multiple copies of the password and you are safe as can be. If anything happens to the device you just get another one or redownload it on a bip39 software wallet.

>this faggot doesn't understand hardware wallets and is deluding himself that he's not completely ignorant

if you lose it you can restore it with a paper seed and backup device

if it gets stolen noone can access it because its protected with a PIN

if some shady exchange loses your shit you will never see it back

Not to mention that Daddy Government can shut down exchanges in whatever moment they get fed up with it and seize all your shit perfectly legally.

I am all for freedom but I'm not gonna be delusional about the indestructibility of crypto. A large part of its value is due to the fact that it is not persecuted yet and you can use it to purchase real stuff in stores, both physical and online. It will still exist if government decides they want to "ban" it, but its value will plummet.

And considering MSM has been pushing the narrative of crypto being "terrorist money" the idea of government going all apeshit over it should be seriously considered.

what are they gonna do though?

ban bitcoin and shut down exchanges? price would only skyrocket, same as drugs, prohibition, etc.

they probably just gonna tax it to death once these old fucks running shit can wrap their head around it

I ordered one of these things, should arrive in July.

I have a lot of ETH to store on this thing so before I do. Should I set up the wallet and purposely enter the pin wrong 3 times so I can make sure the 24 wd passphrase is written down correctly?

Good idea?

Could be a good idea, but it may very well give you a new pass phrase after that. Plus, what if you *did* write it down wrong and suddenly lose the crypto on it? Make sure you put a tiny amount on first (I know, stating the obvious) if you do plan on doing it and hope that the pass phrase remains the same.

>Could be a good idea, but it may very well give you a new pass phrase after that.

how the hell? That makes no sense if I choose to restore configuration instead of new.

What's up with the recent moron flooding

Already got a trezor and currently waiting on my ledge nano s to arrive. The trezor is awesome and still considered the most secure but the ledger supports more altcoins.

What's the difference between a ledger and just using an encrypted USB?

About $60

Why can't I find the Ledger Nano S anywhere? All I see is om ebay and Amazon for $200+ and on the Ledger site for $100 with shipping
I thpigh this was only supposed to be $65 :(

You have to decrypt it to use it. And if your machine is compromised, your coins are gone.
Your key never leaves the device in case of an HW wallet, since the device can do the signing by itself.

Back ordered a month

A hardware wallet signs the transaction. Your private key never leaves the device.

Ah summer~