Haven't seen a classic #btc thread in a while. Where do you think this is headed...

Haven't seen a classic #btc thread in a while. Where do you think this is headed? I still have ~80% of my portfolio in btc.

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptorials.io/glossary/fork/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Still the safest bet in the long term.

Convert to eth before August

$3k5 by this weekend

August will be btcs first real test IMO.

I'm disappointed in the people that are now the stewards of it's codebase and it's all coming to a head

Lolno. If he's in currency, why convert to an inflationary asset?

I recently switched 90% of my portfolio back to BTC, so I can get coins on both chains in august. They are currently sitting at 1broker.cc making me some passive income, but I got to pull them out before the fork.

can you provide subtitles understandable to an idiot? what will happen to BTC in August and how should an idiot prepare?

The last 2 years there's been a civil war brewing regarding what to do (if anything) about bitcoins scalability.

One way or another, it looks like the showdown is ending in august.

It will be the first hard fork of the coin in 8 years, which is quite the big deal. The people in charge of BTC were very reluctant to do forks for all these years because it kind of goes against Satoshi's and crypto's vision in general.

Thing is though, given that BTC implements Segwit, there's literally no reason for the price not to increase. BTC proved to be the most secure and trustable coin along all this time, the only problems that the coin faces are technical, because it was the first basically. If it fixes them and improve, price will most likely skyrocket. However, people are pussies and will probably sell their BTCs before august fearing what will happen.

>August will be btcs first real test IMO.
indeed that is why this current rally baffles me. it will crash way before august.

thank you both

BTC is just a fat slow cunt

>Crash
Can you parrots stop using this buzzword? Why do you think it will crash?

It's not a hard fork... it's a "user activated soft fork", with the hope that the miners will willingly change to the new fork, letting the old chain die.out.

Regardless of whether it succeeds or fails we're in for a rough ride

So should I transfer all my bitcoins in a paper wallet couple of days before the 1st of august?

Price will probably drop before or soon after august. Best course of action IMO is to wait for a price drop and then transfer all you have to BTC, HODL and watch as the price moons. My prediction is that it may get to $4,5k at the end of august.

Still holding on BTC, LMAO fucking dinosaur.

how is it baffling? whales want to pump the price so they can get out high

The only coin not in a bubble

Do this and be bathing in money.
Do this and get burned.

Your choice.

what

i have faith in bitcoin long term too but the fork has been stressing me out. surely a fork will dent its reputation as THE original cryptocoin

>Where do you guys this this is headed?
To a 70% crash while ETH rises. BTC is fucking shit.

The Emperor has no clothes.

If BTC burned what would people trade altcoins with? ETH has about 7 pairs on one exchange and they all have shit volume.

I hope that ETH's rise and maybe even a flippening light a fire under bitmain's asses... godamn. ASIC's were a mistake. I hope to god a hard fork can be avoided.

I'm still largely in Bitcoin. Going to invest in Ether at the end of the month.

>What would we trade altcoins with?
Money.

ETH will slowly start getting more pairs over the next 2 years and its volume will take over.

ETH overtaking BTC's market cap will be the trigger that sets all this in motion.

You haven't seen it yet because ETH hasn't overtaken BTC's market cap yet but when it does, more exchange will start using ETH over BTC and slowly over the next 2 years BTC will fall to number 2, then 3 and probably stick around as the 3rd biggest coin or so.

It seems like alot of mining pools are starting to signal for segwit, it could get activated before August.

not even in your dreams

Up in the short term. During eth latest pump some whale group must have opened a large margin position on eth because they put up a $2.8 million sell wall on btc at $3k. Now the sell walls have gone up on eth and been scaled back on btc as they short eth.

Long term? Steady gains like always. Don't be the next guy who declares that bitcoin is dead.

How bad of an idea is buying the dip in august?

How does the fork works? do my BTC gets split evenly or do i get to choose? non-core fork is the best option right?

Can someone help a brainlet out? What is the best way to secure btc for the possibility of a hardfork? What happens to btc in an exchange or hardware wallet? Is a paper wallet absolutely necessary?

t. Someone who started trading crypto 2 months ago

wait, does forking mean splitting bitcoin into two separate currencies?

Yes. Ideally it's something we'd like to avoid, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Etherium hard forked like 6 months ago. All btc owners should receive their value in each fork, but I am trying to confirm if exchanges and wallets honor this.

You don't have to do anything.

Just don't make any transactions until it's all sorted out.

The non-core fork will be a chinese ran scam coin that no real exchange will touch with a ten foot pole.

but that sounds like transferring between the chains would be a hassle

Well, the currency will continue to be the most secure and trustworthy, even after the fork. Sadly it needs to improve some things, the waiting times because of the scalability are getting pretty fucking real. You can't have a currency that used to proud itself of being fast taking 2 hours to complete a transaction.

cryptorials.io/glossary/fork/

yeah, been reading meanwhile and segwit looks better desu

t. crypto boomer

To everyone who thinks BTC will get fucked, can you give me your BTC? I just started and only have $11 in BTC. I can't take the wageslave life anymore.

1D95Nsv4GSDPB41KyQx1WQ3wYSAUinzDsp

Watch out for Bitcoin mind control, guys!

ETH is overhyped shit. In less than one year it did several things to shake the trust of investors and people who are in this market for a longer time, yet, it keeps being artificially pumped by millennials who 1. Think that ETH and ether are the same thing 2. Think that the ETH alliance are companies that are actually adopting ETH, and not just testing the technology 3. Think that le technology is everything, when economics don't work like that 4. Aren't aware of or ignore all the shit that the dev team did.

BTC growth was natural, it happened over time and because it earned the trust of people. BTC is on the run since 2009 and had less problems in regards to trust than ETH did, and ETH was introduced in 2015. The growth of ETH is also completely fucked and the marketcap is bullshit, expect a massive correction.

Pic related and to add, remember that people on charge of BTC only hold 11% of total circulating supply. Satoshi remained anonymous and literally walked away from the project, showing that he's much more interested in BTC was a ideal than as a business, meanwhile Vitalik is thinking that he's the crypto version of Mark Zuckerberg.

You are also forgetting the elephant in the room: the ICO bubble. The constant stream of ICO's asking for millions in ethereal is one of the main drivers of the current bubble. Whales know this but they don't give a fuck as long as the ICO gravy train keeps paying off. As soon as there is a big ICO fuck up ETH is going down faster than a toothless hooker. Wouldn't be surprised if ETH made it to Aug 1st, which will make the slaughter even uglier if ETH is > $500.

Started my crypto journey today lads and bought some BTC. Feels pretty good desu

I personally think that the crypto bubble is a meme coming from people who don't understand the market, but when it comes to ICO, the people screaming bubble are absolutely right. Just look at this fucking Bancor scam, 100 wallets already have 83% of the tokens, same goes for shit like Bat and all recent ICOs. Even in older ICOs like Stratis it's said that 15 wallets have almost half of the total circulating supply.

Not to mention that probably 90% of these projects will never leave paper and will most likely fail in the long run. They are quite literally being used as PnD schemes

One or the other may happen, i.e. nobody knows

Retard. Why would you buy BTC?

How do you buy alts without BTC?

I'll wait.

Agree 100%. Crypto is not a bubble, but ICO's are basically a carbon copy of what led to the dot com bubble. In 2000 companies could make millions just by adding "internet" to their business plan. Replace "internet" with "token" or blockchain" and here we are. So many companies without any fundamentals, or that have no reason to be involved in blockchain tech. I just hope the ICO bubble bursts soon, and when it does it doesn't chill the whole crypto market for a while.

Read Can't get into smaller coins without it faggot. Literally bought BTC so I can get into alt sheeeit

I don't understand how the 100% ETH people trade.

> ETH -> BTC -> ALTCOIN
> MAKE PROFIT
> ALTCOIN -> BTC -> ETH
> ????

Probably with shapeshift or changelly.

I hope that miners know having smaller percentage of a larger pie is better in the long run than having all of nothing and they are just milking the current situation as long as possible.
Forking off would be disaster for everybody in bitcoin.
Ethereum was barely a 1bn cap and less than 2 years old coin when it forked, the consequences would be a lot worse for BTC now.

doesn't it have to hit 95%? or are you assuming that when it hits 51% the other miners will switch? Seems unlikely considering covert ASICBOOST

says who? Why do we need to microtransact on bitcoin? I agree that segwit should be added but that's just to enable second-layer systems. I don't even like the idea of increasing the blocksize since that just opens up more malicious attack surfaces

I'd imagine there could be some kind of snowball.

If ETH truly took over and people stopped using BTC so much then all the hardware these miners invested in goes to waste. I'd think the marginal profit increase from ASICBOOST isn't worth having vastly less blocks to mine because you turned your cash cow into a shitcoin.

isn't this just a reiteration of the problem? We have to trust a group of centralized miners to act rationally when we all know that people and markets are extremely irrational?

I think the miners act rationally, just mostly out of self-interest. If the cost of blocking segwit started to clearly outweigh the benefits then you might see more of them start to come around.

so I don't know really much about crypotcurreny but I'd like to get further into it.

I feel like buying btc in the pre august low would be a good Idea.

is there something like a bitcoin news ticker ?

my investment would be somethign like 200 €do you guys think this is even worth it ?

Just because you don't get a full btc doesn't mean it won't be worth it. Appreciation is appreciation

Bitcoin is going to be 100%, completely eclipsed by Ethereum. Bitcoin does nothing, Ethereum does contracts.

what happens on august? hardfork?

They're not getting enough miners signaling segwit for the soft fork to occur. But with their backs against the wall, it seems likely a hard fork will become a certainty.

>I'm disappointed in the people that are now the stewards of it's codebase

How so? That they want to protect the fundamentals of what has made BTC the most trusted crypto?

But Eth is purpose-built for inherent value, whereas BTC is (ostensibly) purely a monetary exchange method. And a slow/expensive one at that.

>And a slow/expensive one at that.

When will you realize that it's slow and expensive BECAUSE it is in demand?

And have you tried an ICO on ETH? 75% of Txs fail or run out of gas.

I really feel like the people that put down BTC and talk up ETH have never used ETH and only care about BTC transaction costs because they have such a small amount of money in it.

Mostly just luke-jr. He's more of an ideologue than a coder. While he thinks he means well, he's toxic and has pushed many talented people out of crypto.

Personally I think the uasf is just a tantrum on his part since he got out of the mining game a while ago and is trying to wrest part of his control back.

I don't like the centralization brought about by the Chinese controlling most of the hardware production, but miners are the ones that put down cash to be a part of the network. Like it or not, they get the final say in proof of work

the counter argument of course is that the miners in china are operating on a different playing field since their electricity is nationalized + they likely infringed on the asicboost pct

I think that segwit needs to be added to prevent centalization but I don't like throwing out the baby with the bathwater so to speak

>tfw pay priority fee and 0 confirmations two hours later
gg

Summerfags get trolled into selling.

So I get that argument too. I think there's probably some shenanigans going on in antminer, but taking power away from miners is just going to disincentivize their participation, which will make the network less secure.

It's a complicated situation that I don't know the answer to

If you need to use 2 different wallets to access each of the new forks, what happens to people who have 1 hardware wallet?

Probably the same thing that happened with ETH, send it to an exchange or a splitter and you'll get both (all?) of the fork tokens

ETH is one big crash from being fuckd
people are going to be burned by these retarded icos, it won't end well

dunno about the price. probably still up, but slower and slower (in terms of percentage gains).

but its market share is going down fast as fuck, pic related

>and when it does it doesn't chill the whole crypto market for a while
Why would you not want more time to accumulate?