What is the EARLIEST most historic event that you can remember being alive for...

What is the EARLIEST most historic event that you can remember being alive for? It doesn't necessarily have to be a terrorist event, but for me it was being a kid and watching OKC bombing coverage on tv.

>tfw OKC was almost 22 years ago

What is the first one you remember?

25 year rule

9/11

Waco. I was ATF, not there tho

I figured it was ok because this thread will potentially contain events older than 25 years

I remember being six years old watching the first reports about the Yugoslav wars breaking out on some local ABC affiliate. All I remember was BALKAN WAR in large block letters on the newscast.

Born 1990 can remember when Diana died

Can also remember Space Jam being a big movie, if that's a historical event

Bush's reelection in 2004 is the first event I can kind of remember. Hurricane Katrina is the first event I remember vividly.

Barely, just barely, I can remember the fall of the soviet union, even though I wasn't really cognizant of the event when it happened. It was such a big deal, people were still talking about it when I was old enough to remember such an event.

Past that, I couldn't really say. Gulf Storm was a blip on my radar at some point. Princess Diana's death was a thing too, and so was some of the fighting in the Balkans, but that was more of a footnote since no one had a vested interest in it around here and there wasn't a whole lot of airtime for it on the news.

I feel like I have a memory of the first Gulf War but I find that hard to believe because I was just two years old at the time.

Maybe.

I was born on the same day she died

Pluto stopping being a planet I guess?

The Lewinsky scandal. I was vaguely aware that the president was in trouble for having done something bad.

The first one I actually remember, the first WTC bombing. Although I was alive for the Berlin Wall/ End of Communism in Europe

9/11

I was born in [spoiler]1996[/spoiler]
I sort of remember 9/11, but only the initial attack. That morning was the first time I took a shit in the big boy toilet, and I thought my mom was screaming because she was proud of me...

But I remember watching the airstrikes on Baghdad in 2003 and the whole SHAWK N AWE business on the news, but I didn't really care much after that.

Grew up in one of the republics as soviet union broke apart

9/11

Born 94, experienced 9/11 as I was living in New York at the time
I think the Christmas Tsunami was the first historical event I was able to appreciate. Had to write a fucking book report about it.

But more importantly: what was the earliest historical event that you remember posting on Veeky Forums about?

I was 9 or 10 when 9/11 happened. That was the first major event I was old enough to really understand "oh shit something big just happened".

O.J. trial (thought it had to do with The Simpsons)

The first one i remember affecting me is the 2007 financial crisis

> I was five years old. I was on the streets when Pinochet losed the elections and the people were celebrating after 17 years of dictatorship. I still remember the chants: "y va a caeeer" "y ya cayoooo"

Soviet Union breakup.

I don't remember anything about 9/11 but I remember all the anthrax attacks the week after

21 years old, so 6 when it happened

Breakup of Yugoslavia.

I am Filipino and my dad worked in foreign affairs at the time. He had to work overtime due to the diplomatic issues of the Yugoslavian consul's legality. I was 5 at the time.

why is there no crater in the ground?

The handover of Hong Kong in 1997. I was 7 at the time.

'98 here, the earliest I think was bombs over Baghdad, I remember seeing it live since I'm in Australia and knew what I was seeing was something big, I didn't even remember 9/11 by that point but I knew the world authority was about to fuck some sand country that terrorists came from.

Explosions destroy things in the path of least resistance. Reinforced concrete sitting on a massive layer of dirt beneath it is going to be a lot tougher than the building that's sitting on it. To make a crater, the energy of the explosion would have to be directed downwards such as from a mortar or artillery strike, whereas the explosion had instead come from a van and spread evenly in all directions.

To make a crater from a van explosion, there would have to be something more unmovable sitting on all other sides than from the bottom, or there would have to be something soft beneath it, such as bare, sort dirt.

I vaguely remember the Bosnian war and the Sojourner landing. 9/11 was the first big thing I can remember in detail tho

Project Chanology
Forgive and forget. Expecto patronum

Not the earliest but I remember the Baghdad bombing CNN coverage playing on a tv in a Burger King. Very funny in retrospect

heavily influenced half of a generation

One of the earliest things I remember is seeing Yeltsin standing on top of the coup tank in Moscow on TV.

The fall of the Berlin Wall.
I remember it not for the event necessarily, but for the emotional reaction from the people in the room.

France winning the 1998 WC

9/11 and hopefully the mars landing in the near future

Eisenhower's second inauguration. For some reason we watched it in school on a tiny TV. (Yes, I'm really old.)

Here's your 25+ year historic event to make this thread legit OP: Jimmy Carter winning the presidency. I was 5 when he took office.

Damn, beat me by like 3 minutes, Grandad.

This, I was ten years old

I remember the first gulf war going down and the fall of the Berlin wall.

Jfk

Y2K
and Titanic

Pokemon phenomenon

Cant

Seeing some news report about some Mid East war around 1995 when I was 5 and my grandmother saying how awful that was because "that's where Jesus was born"

You don't have a memory of Desert Storm/Sheild but it's reasonable to assume that you've conflated the US's continuing military commitment to the Gulf during the rest of the 90s.

There was a no fly-zone in place most of that time and Clinton launched air/cruise missile strikes on Iraq at times when they were in breach of UN resolutions.

Also a huge amount of media was continually released about the Gulf War in the 1990s. It was the USs first big military success since the Vietnam disaster and documentaries loved everything about Evil Saddam, smart bombs and stealth bombers.

I was 6, and I remember my teach evacuating us out of school on 9/11. I can remember the news coverage, and my parents freaking out. I sort of knew that there was a bad thing happening, but I didn't understand why.

They also specifically rigged the truck so the force of the explosion would be directed towards the building

election of Tony Blair in 1997, I was 5.

The vote of no confidence against Chancellor Schmidt that started the rule of Helmut Kohl as single thing and discussions about the Red Army Faction as an ongoing matter

I remember the teacher just saying "jets attacked NYC" and thought fighter jets started bombing the city and I thought it was Russians.

Then a bunch of other kids started crying because they thought we would be attacked and I told them that as some random school in BFE we weren't a real target for anything like that.

Bosnian war and all the subsequent Balkans fighting. It was just a bunch of fuzzy news reports to me about some place where there was a war and people were suffering, it wasn't until much later that I learned all the horrible shit that happened.

Wow cool story, did they all stand up and applaud too?

Your mom clapped

I remember getting new coins to buy buns at the grocery with, which felt very weird, but those new euros were very shiny and pretty, contrary to the old Deutsche Mark coins, which all had that strong green oxidation tint. One of my fondest memories, actually.

Also, I remember waking up and going downstairs at night when I heard my mother crying while she watched live TV coverage of 9/11. She's a very emotional person. I didn't give a single fuck, to be honest.

I'm old... I remember the Iran/Contra shit, but the earliest one I can remember that had an emotional impact was watching the Challenger explode. Teach dragged out a TV for us all to watch, and I remember literally crying, realizing was the beginning of the end of serious manned space flight (which, technically began with the shuttle program, but that just seemed to be the nail in the coffin.)

Fall of the Berlin wall kinda meh. Invasion of Panama, called that well before, knowing that treatise was running out, and we weren't going to leave the most important canal in the world in just anyone's hands (actually recall my history teacher predicting it in the 80's). First invasion of Iraq made me predict we'd never have peace again as that was going to be an endless quagmire for the whole region.

9/11 was weird. Turned on TV early in the morn, see a single plane sticking out of a skyscraper. Semi-significant other stirs to and says, "Welp, someone's gonna get sacked." (Just looked like a crazy accident.)

Then the second plane hit and she immediately shifted to, "Welp, someone's gonna get bombed." without missing so much as a beat as she put on some coffee.

i was 6 when Deep Blue beat Kasparov

The thing I remember most about the 91 Iraq war was being seriously pissed that the reboot of Dark Shadows got canceled as a result of all the overtime war coverage.

>Timothy McVeigh's sister was a teacher at my middle school

Felt bad for her desu

I'm old enough to remember when the first "Battlestar Galactica" serial kept getting pre-empted for "Roots" the miniseries.

...damned surprise I'm not a full /pol/tard today as a result.

Were Moscow Olympics in -80 a historic event? Apart from that, maybe some Soviet leader dying or constant news coverage about the Iran-Iraq war.

>All these 9/11 stories

B...b...but 2001 was only three years ago