What does your average priest actually DO day to day?

What does your average priest actually DO day to day?

Touch young boys

Work on their latest mix-tape

There's a lot of paperwork running even a small church.

They drink a lot lol

collect diamonds for the pope's shoe laces

bash gays

My mother worked at a church in rural Texas for 35 years, pretty much almost the entirety of my life. I've known several priests semi-personally. Pretty much all of them study theology throughout the day, work on parish matters such as finance and meeting parishioners to go over matters of faith with them (From scheduling baptisms and blessings to working through hard times or crisis of faith) and coordinating events. Some are attached to schools and serve as principles, others have various obligations throughout the week such as working at homeless shelters or the like.

Specifically though, the first one I remember was a really kind, rotund Italian guy. He loved to eat, worked in the rectory flowerbeds and yard on his days off, and was generally a likeable guy. He was probably the most friendly to church employees, and to this day, I still go eat lunch with him periodically even though he's in his 90s now and doesn't get around much.

Second guy I didn't know much about because he wasn't around too long. He was an Irish guy who'd make a two week vacation back to his family in Ireland every summer. He seemed nice enough from what I knew about him, but he wound up with health problems and died in the early 2000s after moving back to his family.

Third guy was from an older French family around the area, he was the most bland of the priests I remember. I never really got a read on what he enjoyed or did outside of work.

Fourth guy was a third generation Czech, he spoke the language fluently and loved to drink. He was also a bit of a hunter and cook, and routinely shot rabbits and whatever else invaded the church yard and cooked it, I guess because that's what his family did growing up. A lot of people really like him because up until the first priest I mentioned, every priest we had was Czech, and hell, after V2, we had an English mass and a Czech mass for a long time, but that was way before me. Locals loved him for bringing it back.

Fifth guy was the one I knew the best, he was from a French/Czech family out in West, Texas. He was a hulking 6'7" guy and when he arrived, he was about 350 pounds. People thought he was amazing the first few years he was here, he gave fiery sermons and knew how to work a crowd; we had the church completely filled for quite some time with people coming to hear him talk, and lots of locals converted from the methodists and lutherans, and a few from the baptists as well. This made the other preachers pretty nervous around him since in a way he was poaching their flock, and to make matters worse, he had zero patience for dealing with them or meeting with them in town faith meetings (The four major churches' preachers would get together to coordinate events like the town Thanksgiving service or the service for graduating seniors in high school or other events and schedule things and just have an amicable meal together.).

This went on for about five years, until he went on a retreat and got to know some other priests, and came back with a huge chip on his shoulder about V2 and the changes it brought. He started to become more and more political and made more changes to the mass in an attempt to bring it back to the pre-V2 version (The extraordinary form), which was somewhat tolerated. Things went south however when we were hosting a veteran's day service, which had always been attended by veterans of all faiths, and he decided to decry the US's aggressive foreign policy in the middle of it from vietnam on forwards. Lot of the attending got up and walked out, and a lot of their families after hearing about it stopped coming to mass entirely. On top of this, his sermons got weaker and started repeating themselves, and our attendance dwindled down to very little as people started going to mass in other towns. Strangely enough, I think he was before his time; his message would've probably gained more ground now with the happenings in America as of late.

Weddings
Visit sick people in hospital
marriage counselling
organize social events
prepare the week's sermon
Manage finances
organize charity/missionary/outreach projects
Teach courses

Pretty chill job but you generally don't make much money unless you are Joel Olsteen or some other Jew (referencing the temple here not /pol/). I doubt that most people would like giving public speeches every week or writing them.

Local priests are Jesuits.

They do nothing between Sunday Masses save for studying anything under the sun.

sorry if stupid question but what is V2?

>local priests are jesuits

just wow thats stupid

Really, what he was saying was usually correct or at least impassioned. What had caused his downfall was his complete and other lack of tact at delivering his message, and his horrible eating disorder that eventually made it difficult for him to walk from being so big. He was still a pretty jovial sort of fellow though when you were talking to him one on one.

Sixth and current guy is a pretty big asshole. He's ok in a professional capacity, but outside of that, he's got a bad case of little man's syndrome and demands respect. He's focused strictly on the church as a business, even if the business is one of soul saving, and everything he does is from a calculated standpoint and bottom line cost analysis. Really, I think he probably wanted to be a manager at a big company, but figured the fastest path to power would be to enter the seminary, and that was probably the only way he could get any semblance of authority in a big family of 7, him being the youngest. After poorly handling something with one of the locals, I called him out on it and drove it home how he needed to control his temper, and he hasn't spoken to me sense. That said, out of all the priests, he's been the most concerned with finances and does great at that, which is really why he arrived because the drop in attendance from the previous priest caused a deficit of funding.

Vatican II where the catholic church went from latin mass to mass spoken in the vernacular

Vatican II, it was a big reform in the 60s. Made some changes to the tradition of the church, caused a sort of falling out with a chunk of priests and laity. As far as I can tell, no dogmas were changed, but how the mass was celebrated underwent a pretty big one. For one, service is no longer done in Latin, but in the vernacular form. Some prayers were omitted during service, some of the layout was shuffled around (Priest now stands facing the congregation in a sort of presentation of the miracle of the transubstantiation instead of facing the cross away from the people.). Detractors accuse the changes of weaking the position of Catholics, the pope, and generally detracting from the solemnity of the mass and various holy days and beliefs. Some accuse the V2 of being sabotage because it included ministers from protestant churches (This is documented and confirmed, and was probably done in an attempt to appeal more to modern sensibilities by incorporating some things they do during services) and alleged Freemasons (This one isn't confirmed, some of the people brought in are suspected though.).

Personally, I've only seen the post-V2 mass style from the time I was born on forward, although I've attended some Latin masses and older traditions as well. I don't really have an opinion on V2 either way, because that's something for the clergy to work out, not for laymen. I enjoy both of the masses either way and consider them both valid. I do hope the matter is eventually resolved though, I wouldn't mind seeing things go back to the pre-V2 way if it comes to it, though I know many who've only celebrated post-V2 masses are turned off by the Latin and chanting and all that jazz because they feel like they don't understand any of it.

>Protestcuck.

Catholics aren't Christian

masturbate

>What does your average priest actually DO day to day?
little boys

modern "Christians" aren't Christian
Only Manichaeans are

Comfort the sick and dying