Tell me about Sassanids, what did they call themselves? What was interesting about them...

Tell me about Sassanids, what did they call themselves? What was interesting about them? Were they wealthy and were their armies competent?

Sassanian Empire was Persian, a continuation of Achaemenid ethos.

They called themselves "Iran-Shahr", also known as "Ērān-shahr". Ērān is the literal pronunciation of Iran. Since Sassanian times, Iranians refer to Iran by the same name. "Iran-shahr" roughly translates to "Land of the Aryans".

They were interesting because they codified Zoroastrian beliefs and were a rival of Rome. They were a theocratic monarchy though and tended to suppress unorthodox thought, though some progressive kings such as Khosrow I took measures to prevent this. The Academy of Gondishapur is considered the first hospital system and it also served as the foundation for "House of Baghdad".

Given how much was destroyed in Arab and Mongol invasions, we can only infer wealth. Based off architecture, I would say they were wealthy. They were competent and worthy rivals of Rome.

>they codified Zoroastrian beliefs
and made it the state religion officially*

Gee Pirouz, why does your Spahbad let you fire 5 arrows at once?

Do we have anything surviving from their era as primary resources to refer to events or was it all destroyed?

Looks cool as fuck though.

Their uniforms looked cool as hell, like some classical version of christian crusaders.

Their horsemen looked pretty dope.

Did any of the Persians ever use archery on their horses?

Some argue that the whole knight-system was taken from them.
With noble lords from titled families becoming knights in the Kings army in return for lands and lordship.

IIRC there were like 7 main Houses that used to run shit under the King.

No.

How does this contraption even work ?

no idea, it is apparently based of Roman accounts of some Sassanid multishot crossbow

for all we know it might aswell be a modified Chu-ko-nu, since they had alot of dealings with the Chinese thanks to controlling the silkroad

> that color scheme on the one on the right

For a second I thought that was nineties era Rogue from the X-Men

They were basically worthless and left no markable impact (aside from getting assravaged by arabs) on the world unlike their greek counterparts.

Fair enough, thanks.

(You)

And their Mobed were very proud to tell how they killed the filthy Christians, and Pagans.

Well, the Shahnameh was based off oral tradition and the last third does a good job conveying Sassanian culture. There are also some survive Pahlavi texts from that period such as "Book of the Deeds of Ardeshir, Son of Papak".

ive heard some meme about Iranian archeologists recently finding a bunch of tablets/scriptures from that era
they just have a slow process of translating them

t. constantius

The Abrahamic faiths are largely based off Zoroastrianism. The ideas of paradise (Avestan word pairidaēza), transcendental moral dualism, light = goodness & darkness = evil metaphors, angels (yazatas), personified evil figures (e.g., Asmodeus is based off daeva Aēšma), eschatological reward and punishment (Chinvat Bridge), Day of Judgment (Frashokereti), rigid duality between truth (asha) and lie (druj), savior of light (Saoshyant), and the resurrection of the dead (Yasna 19) descended from Zoroastrian influence. Read Chapter 7 of Michael Stausberg's Zarathustra and Zoroastrianism for the most up-to-date scholarly research regarding this topic.

The word magic also has Persian origin.

tfw not allowed to fuck sister because of religion

I want out of this timeline

I sometimes dream of stabbing Christ with Roman pagans... and doing scaphism on Christians and Jews.

I think Cyrus the Great made a mistake. He should have killed every singe Jew, then the mistakes of Christianity and Islam wouldn't emerge.

Not even the flesh of Christcucks would satiate the lion.

t. Julian

t. Valerian