Could someone give me a quick rundown of the Shia vs. Sunni controversy...

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the Shia vs. Sunni controversy? As far as I understand it Ali is considered to be the legimate succesor of Mohamed and Abu Bakr is considered legitimate by the Sunni's. But then I don't understand how Ali became the fifth Caliph by Sunni standards.
Is there anyone with the knowledge about early Islamic politics to explain this?

>As far as I understand it Ali is considered to be the legimate succesor of Mohamed and Abu Bakr is considered legitimate by the Sunni's.

That's basically what started it.

>But then I don't understand how Ali became the fifth Caliph by Sunni standards.

He was the fourth. He was the only remaining choice.

It's kept alive by Persian butthurt.
They still talk and cry about this shit like it happened last Tuesday.

Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to suck ass like a nigger

Shia lit means 'party' or 'group'.
There were differences between muslims even when mo was alive though they were kept at bay. When mo died groups formed and one decided to take over the government with support of the local tribes via tribal allegiance - ali was not in this group. Later, ali got the tribal alleigiance. But the Syrian governor rebelled and and civil war broke out. z

Shia = Catholics (centralized)
Sunni = protestants (splintered)

>Sunni
>splintered like Protestants
So that's why they're more chaotic.

>Shia
>Centralized

L M A O

This desu. It's like an ex who still holds a grudge from 30 years ago. Just let it go. Ali did end up Caliph eventually. Chill.

When Muhammad died, his followers were unsure who should become the successor. Abu Bakr was elected the caliph, but Muhammad's son-in-law/cousin Ali had a large following who thought that he should have become the caliph. After Abu Bakr died (reigned for 2 years), Umar became caliph (reigned for 10 years I believe, assassinated), then Uthman (reigned for 12 years, assassinated), and then finally Ali became caliph (reigned for five years, assassinated).

Now, Shiites differ from Sunnis when it comes to theology. Shiites believe that Ali and his successors became infallible imams who were the real leaders of Islam. Shiite theology and law are based on the teachings of these imams and those who followed them. Sunnis, however, are more Orthodox where they claim to just follow the Qur'an and the words and deeds of Muhammad and the four caliphs, including Ali. In the beginning, the animosity between the Sunnis and Shiites was largely political, however as the Shiite branch increasingly drifted from Orthodox Islam, Sunnis started to call Shiites apostates for worshipping Ali and the Imams. Apostasy in Islam is punishable by death.

Then that would be...

Shia — Roman Catholic (centralized)
Sunni — Orthodox (splintered)
Protestant — Alawite, Bahá'í (heretical)

Your both wrong. It would be
Shia = orthodox
Sunni = Catholic
Various ancient Muslim sects (alawaits etc) Nestorian Christian, Eastern Rite Roman Catholics
Various new Sunni sects (Wahhabism etc) = Protestant

But iraqis also go on about it

The same thing it's always about.
"POWER! UNLIMITED POWER"
Mohammed set up a money making machine with the pilgrimage to the Holy sites.
Money buys power.
Imagine a picture of Plapatine here.

Palpatine.

what started it was simple, sunnis wanted ruling for the one best suited for the job, shias wanted ruling to go with blood of the prophet, so his cousin.

but now the differences are not as simple, shias now split into 3 major schools. with each of them more different than the other, more than sunni schools are different, which is only on small details.
the 3 major shia "Sects" or schools are

1-
1-Imamah
is the doctrine that the figures known as imams are rightfully the central figures of the ummah; the entire Shi'ite system of doctrine focuses on the imamah. Shi'ites believe that the Imams are the true Caliphs or rightful successors of Muhammad, and further that Imams are possessed of divine knowledge and authority (Ismah) as well as being part of the Ahl al-Bayt, the family of Muhammad.(anyone related by blood) These Imams have the role of providing commentary and interpretation of the Quran as well as guidance to their tariqa followers as is the case of the living Imams of the Nizari Ismaili tariqah.

the major following of this sect right now is what is know as the Twelvers (12 imams that they believe they possess divine knowledge)

2-Ismāʿīlism right now 2nd biggest branch of shia islam after the twelvers also believe family of Muhammad is sacred and possess divine knowledge, to my knowledge only disagree on comparatively small things.

3-Zaidiyyah which right know makes up to about 35-40% of muslims in Yemen. their laws are very similar to Sunnis but only disagree on small stuff but their beliefs are closer to shias.

This. It's literally Persian butthurt. The early Ottomans didn't even know wtf this sunni/shia shit was about until Persians tried to go special snowflake mode and tried to be a rival to the Ottomans. This led to Persian missionaries going into Ottoman territory and try to brainwash people into opposing the Ottomans by creating this seperation.

Are you an arab?
Can you tell me what the major theological and cultural differences are?
I've heard shia tend to focus on the end of the world a lot more than sunnis

Yes i am
>major theological differences
some are that shias believe Prophets and Imams (for example the 12 imams) are immune from sin and are morally infallible. Sunnis believe only prophets are.

Shias believe it is permissible to pray & ask to people like prophets and Imams and most sunnis believe it is forbidden to pray to anyone but god, some agree though.

now the thing that probably made you think shiites tend to ""focus"" on end of the world is that they believe that (The Mahdi) which is a righteous figure who will fill the world with justice and destroy corruption was born in 894 AD and is immortal and alive now and will announce his existence when it's time to fill the world with justice they also believe he is the 12th imam.

most sunnis believe he will be born in the end of times and won't know he is the mahdi until people say he is the one.

Sunnis believed Muhammad did not announce a spiritual successor prior to his death, so they elected Abu Bakr as the first Caliph and leader of the faithful.
Shias believe that Muhammad said Ali, his cousin and son-in-law, was his spiritual successor, and he was rightfully the first Caliph. They also believe Ali and his bloodline has inherent spiritual authority, his progeny are the imams and considered the true Caliphs.

/thread

It's the eternal iranian

the blood of ali and fatima are the best suited to rule. sunnis believe a man who insulted the prophet on his deathbed is best suited to rule.

>No doubt, I am indebted to Abu Bakr more than to anybody else regarding both his companionship and his wealth. And if I had to take a Khalil from my followers, I would certainly have taken Abu Bakr, but the fraternity of Islam is sufficient. Let no Door of the Mosque remain open, except the door of Abu Bakr
Get wrecked, Shia scum.

The people with the book said the book is the most important thing for leading the movement.

The people with the heir said the heir is the most important thing for leading the movement.