youtube.com/watch?v=rReFhUtZzYc
youtube.com/watch?v=U1qrVYh7E1k
youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2CSpNze5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_UB3eA8B4qI
youtube.com/watch?v=jzJO9K__n9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kicking a pigs bladder is top entertainment

Weren't The Losers of that game killed in the most grisly fashion

I don't know how grisly, but yes, losers were sacrificed.

Unrelated, the ball they played with could be as heavy as 8 lbs and could break bones.

They used rubber balls
The spainards thought that the ball was possesd by satan

>catholics, madames et messieurs

youtube.com/watch?v=YUdr8yupdwo

Damn, ancient mexicans knew how to have fun. Would love to see one of their olympics.

Kek
Those mesoamericans
Baiscally sports fans but even more brutal
Would love to see a competition between them and the byzantines

what games did the byzantines play

And Catholics still hate rubbers to this very day

I've played a game kind of like cuju before. Basically just soccer with elevated nets, so no goalies required. I don't know if we played by the exact rules and my coaches didn't even call it cuju, they gave it some generic name.

Chariot races

kek

VENETOI

PRASINOI

Nice

They still play this game today. There's two versions of the game high and low. The high one is played with lots of jumping, the low one is played very close to the ground, almost crawling and using your arms a lot to hold your weight when you dive to bounce the ball back. Apparently, spectators sometimes get injured when the ball goes out of bounds in the villages its played in.

epin

Is there any footage of the game?

delet

youtube.com/watch?v=rReFhUtZzYc

That seems actually interesting
Like a more hardcore version of tennis
I remeber watching a documentry mentioning how fucking brutal these games got

Fucking hell that scene is straight out of Sicario I fucking swear. Pic related is what Mesoamerican "sports" were like.

>those paintings at the bottom

THICC af

Mesoamericans were crazy motherfuckers
Im kind of sad the spain nuked them

imo the worst event in human history was the near-total destruction of the new world

>Mesoamericans were crazy motherfuckers
k

My ancestors and modern us also play a sport called Takraw

It's like volleyball with legs

Those are all torture devices
Mesoamericans did shit like this for their pass time

>Somehow the SPANIARDS were the bad guys for eradicating this culture.
What a twisted world we live in.

here we fucking go

>While Hernán Cortés was in Tenochtitlan, he heard about other Spaniards arriving on the coast – Pánfilo de Narváez had come from Cuba with orders to arrest him – and Cortés was forced to leave the city to fight them. During his absence, Moctezuma asked deputy governor Pedro de Alvarado for permission to celebrate Toxcatl (an Aztec festivity in honor of Tezcatlipoca, one of their main gods). But after the festivities had started, Alvarado interrupted the celebration, killing almost everyone present at the festival, men, women, and children alike.

>The Spanish version of the incident claims the conquistadors intervened to prevent a ritual of human sacrifice in the Templo Mayor; the Aztec version says the Spaniards were enticed into action by the gold the Aztecs were wearing, prompting an Aztec rebellion against the orders of Moctezuma. While differing so on Alvarado's specific motive, both accounts are in basic agreement that the celebrants were unarmed and that the massacre was without warning and unprovoked.

There's literally no source nor archaeological evidence that supports scenes like that happened. Fucking gibson

why are some of them bound and blue?

that doesn't sound like an organized sport to me.

nvm just realized they're probably slaves taken from conquests.

fuck off strawman, the whole argument of christians in the New World was to stop this kind of things in the world and they were the first to start shit

>The army of the Holy Roman Emperor defeated the French army in Italy, but funds were not available to pay the soldiers. The 34,000 Imperial troops mutinied and forced their commander, Charles III, Duke of Bourbon and Constable of France, to lead them towards Rome.
>After the brutal execution of some 1,000 defenders of the Papal capital and shrines, the pillage began. Churches and monasteries, as well as the palaces of prelates and cardinals, were looted and destroyed. Even pro-Imperial cardinals had to pay to save their properties from the rampaging soldiers. On 8 May, Cardinal Pompeo Colonna, a personal enemy of Clement VII, entered the city. He was followed by peasants from his fiefs, who had come to avenge the sacks they had suffered by Papal armies.

Looks like something most war cultures would do for fun.

oh right, your just the aztecboo

oh right, not an argument

So did the e̶u̶r̶o̶p̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶t̶ "civilized" white europeans in the name of the church.

Gay? Tortured and/or killed
Infidelity? Tortured and/or killed
Blasphemy? Tortured and/or killed
Witchcraft? Tortured and killed
Not part of the church? ostracized, tortured or killed
Challenge the word of the church from a scientific or human rights standpoint? Ostracized, oppressed, tortured and/or killed
Someone doesn't like you and tells the church you speak with the devil? Tortured until you admit guilt otherwise you're killed
Accused of being a heretic? Tortured and killed unless you turn in other "heretics" like your fellow workers, friends and family
Illiterate and uneducated? No problem as long as you believe every word from these extremist preachers and serve god; you too can become a vessel of holy justice!

>Redditor doesn't understand history

Also
>scientific
Back to riddit.
>human rights
Christianity is the only valid proponent of human rights.

Good one

That does look quite cool

ancient greek boxing was just as brutal but without helmet

i thought winners were sacrificed

>taking a hollywood movie as creditable source for history

wasn't there like only two teams? those games were no joke, the whole city could fuckin go nuts

impressive

Wrong on all accounts
Your a buttmad athiest or aztecaboo
All those cases are absolute extremes and happened an only relative handful of times.

Christianity created secular ideologies with protestantism
Social welfare
Modern neoplatonic philosophy
The beginnings of modern medicine
Divine right to rule (the leading cause of stability that europe had since rome fell)

While their where some inexcusable catholics (the medicis, pope john, etc). Catholicism did much more good than it ever caused evil. The bigges offenders of course being spain, whose only excuse is the treatment they recieved under moroccan occupiers that is actually similar to what you describe christians do.

Tldr; lol u mad n rong

It makes it so much easier to picture the ball game having seen that, thank you.

Looks like fun

It is still currently debated but I believe the current consensus is that winners were sacrificed.

What does withholding soldiers pay have to do with christianity?

One soul cannot be due to two masters—God and Cæsar. And yet Moses carried a rod, and Aaron wore a buckle, and John (Baptist) is girt with leather and Joshua the son of Nun leads a line of march; and the People warred: if it pleases you to sport with the subject. But how will a Christian man war, nay, how will he serve even in peace, without a sword, which the Lord has taken away? For albeit soldiers had come unto John, and had received the formula of their rule; albeit, likewise, a centurion had believed; still the Lord afterward, in disarming Peter, unbelted every soldier. No dress is lawful among us, if assigned to any unlawful action.

—Tertullian, On Idolatry Chapter 19: Concerning Military Service

Looks like my dad lol

Mexicans are still just as savage and brutal as their ancestors were.

>getting triggered because your butthurt point doesn't even make sense

Go cut someone's head off with a chainsaw paco

>cornfield right next to a ball stadium
Was the screenwriter from Nebraska?

The ballfield should have been in the citys center next to all the buildings. Looks like this took place on the city's outskirts.

Christfags will compromise your military if you won't worship their god. That's how they reduced the roman empire to rubble and kicked off the dark ages, by starting underground railroads for barbarians.

Has anyone tried to recreate this recently?

iron maiden never existed, it's a victorian "invention" to show how retarded medieval times were

Looks neat. That music is fucking horrendous though, so I don't blame the Spanish for eradicating that.

lacrosse...simulated warfare played on a field spannig miles

See
Also to give more context notice the weight of the fucking rubber ball with the heaviest being the hip version of the game (3–4 kg or 6½-9 lbs) it requires not only strength but one guess a resistance to pain.

Yo is that Boba Fett?

Sepak Takraw is the most amazing thing.

Its rough but I like it.

Two of those are romantic-era fiction and one was never used outside of one dungeon allegedly.

This
To be honest the spanish were brutal in their conquest if you read their own accounts and the infantile views that they "did the right thing" is based on ignorance of sources.

This is a report from bachiller Valencia during the conquest of Yucatan:
"Very cruel punishments were done that were because of the apocase people. Some of the chiefs of the province of Cupul were burnt alive and others were hanged. "..." The Indians of the province of Cochua and Chectemal were altered, and the Spaniards pacified them in such a way that, The Indians made unprecedented cruelties by cutting their noses, arms and legs, and the women breasts and tossed them into deep lagoons with pumpkins tied to their feet; Children because they did not walk as much as the mothers, and if they carried them in collars and became ill, or did not walk as much as the others, they cut their heads because they did not stop to let them go.And they brought a large number of women and men captive for their service with such treatments ."

Terrible google translate but to be fair its 500yr spanish, basicaly the spanish depopulated the area by masacres and enslaving the natives.
"The Indians of the province of Cochua and Chectemal were altered, and the Spaniards appeased them in such a way that, being these two provinces the most populous and full of people, the most unfortunate of all that land remained."

One of the most charming paintings in Chinese history is the "Amusements of the Xuande Emperor." From Ming China during the 1400s.

Basically Xuande spending a day off playing games or watching courtiers and ministers playing sports.

Here's the Xuande emperor going to the palace grounds.

The Emperor observing an archery contest.

r/Veeky Forums here we come

The Emperor observing some form of mounted croquette

Xuande judging a Cuju (Chink Football/Kickball) Match.

Xuande playing darts.

Basically like horseshoes, except you're trying to throw an arrow inside a vase.

Xuande playing dismounted polo/protogolf

The Xuande Emperor playing cricket-fighting with a minister. The Ceramic boxes each contain a cricket nest and food.

Neat stuff. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of those videos of Obama playing basketball. I wonder how world leaders feel knowing nobody will ever actually go hard against them in a sport in fear of the secret police killing them.

The Emperor and some of his ministers and servants engaging in quail fighting

Think cockfighting but its done by quails.

Outside the pagoda an errant servant accidentally drops a quail bag and the quail inside escapes.

Anyone got a video of how this sport was played?

The Xuande Emperor at least was one of China's least known yet beloved emperors. A calm man who was a good administrator, he oversaw a period of peace and stability of the Ming Dynasty compared to his insane/warlordish/weak forebears.

>africa

youtube.com/watch?v=U1qrVYh7E1k

>anglos

youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2CSpNze5Q

>mudslimes

youtube.com/watch?v=_UB3eA8B4qI

Charming is the perfect word. Thanks for sharing user.

Barely related to the thread, but it is the only mesoamerican one right now

Does anyone have that screencap of a book that told the story about how Huemac wanted women with BIG ASSES and basically went to war over it? (And fucked a god in the meanwhile)

thanks user, may your future be full of bitches with big asses

the warriors game

Just like Glasgow.
youtube.com/watch?v=jzJO9K__n9A

I thought Tudors used pig bladders.

Northerners.

The blue paint is called Maya Blue, mesoamericans would apply it to sacrifices (both humans and objects) and burn it as incense for the rain God Chaak

Fun fact, it's so resistant to erosion even in the intense jungle climate that we can still se the brilliant blue color of it today, unlike nearly every other pigment over a century old

>Cortés did nothing wrong

>did nothing wrong
You are so right. He executed the evil scheme he hatched to perfection

>implying other denominations aren't just as superstitious.