RUINED MUH LIFE

How badly did I fuck up my life, Veeky Forums?

>Decided to study communications and journalism in college
>Graduate with honors with a bunch of awards
>Find a job at decent-sized newspaper shortly after college
>Work there for five years and earn some more awards
>Things go to shit when a bunch of people quit and they hire a hot-shot, new Editor-in-Chief
>Get a job offer to run a local radio station's news program
>They treat me like shit and try to get me to work double shifts without pay (but tell me to flub my card so it looks like I'm only working a single shift)
>Hair starts to fall out
>Develop a sleep disorder
>Health declines
>Doctor and family beg me to quit
>Get frustrated and quit
>Assume that I'll find something quickly due to strong resume and references
>Find out that I'm very wrong

It's been two months and, not only have I burned through all of my savings, but I've only received one offer despite putting out dozens of applications and resumes.

The only thing I've been offered is a part-time cashier position at a local pet store.

I had to take it just so I can attempt to pay my bills.

I also had to sign up for government assistance so I wouldn't fucking die of starvation.

I'm fucked, aren't I, Veeky Forums?

Anyone else in a similar situation? I just want to know that I'm not alone in Hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y4Qy2SPHXkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why did you go from newspaper to radio?

buy bitbean

also, try /r9k/

create your own content

podcast/youtube

This is why Trump won, regardless of what happens next:
We're all fucked.

I'm sorry m9.

>>Decided to study communications and journalism in college
right over here is where you fucked up

Because they offered me a significant raise, told me I could set my own hours, and I had training in both.

See, I have a dual-degree in print and broadcast journalism.

It turns out that everything they'd told me I could do and have was a total lie.

The day I quit, one of my former coworkers told me he was hired to make ads.

The day he signed the contract, they took him into the office and told him that "under no circumstance" is he to make an ad and they were eliminating the creative director position.

The guy said he is now on desk-duty and just fills-out paperwork all day.

He'd sold his house and moved to the area because of all the great things they told him in the interview and through the offer. Now he's 52 and stuck in an apartment with his wife because they haven't given him a single raise like they promised.

Shit's fucked, mang.

LMAO you only had savings for two months hahahahaha you deserve whatever comes to you. 6 months living expenses at a bare minimum in your emergency fund at all times you fucking stupid goy.

I know, I know. Now I'm in debt and I can't even get a job at a burger joint.

Are people fucking retarded? Its like they did not sign any employment contract stating the pay/hours/terms of work/expectations/etc. Really maybe you should take a look at all those papers you just half assed sign at the beginning before rushing in.

Have you considered burning the place down?

I've thought about it on more than one occasion, yes.

do this user
youtube.com/watch?v=y4Qy2SPHXkQ

>pic related

>>Develop a sleep disorder
Try Mirtazapine 7.5mg daily for three months.

>strong resume
>communications major and a gig at a radio station
what?

also, you are in a massive fucking industry and are able to apply your "degree" in literally any company on the planet. but, for some fucking reason you've only sent "dozens" of applications? how often are you visiting them in person or networking at events? how often are you taking on contract work or volunteering?

people abused you because you were bad enough that they could have easily replaced you. get good at something. you took the easy road in school and now you either climb up through sweat and blood or you fuck off and stop complaining, mr. pet store.

>Played computer games all day every day growing up
>Turned 18/19, time for military service (it was mandatory here then, ~10 years ago)
>Tell the psychiatrist that I don't really feel like it, so she jots something down on her paper and I don't have to do anything
>>Whaa-whaa, you should've done it
>A friend that did it starts working at a hospital doing shit work driving laundry
>I go to university because "education is good"
>Do some bullshit introduction course in Interaction Design, it's pretty fun but not too practical
>Start on a much more boring, but probably safe (work-prospect wise) program of City Planning
>Do the first year, but everyone's either halfway or fully retarded
>Even the teachers/people with actual experience in the field of work just wants you to do horse shit fashionable "urban renewal"-type stuff
>Quit, start Interaction Design instead (UX)
>It's fun enough, I think I could do this
>Graduate
>Apply for jobs, no replies
>It's fine, I'll get some eventually
>Three years later and ~500 jobs applied to, I'm still a NEET living at home at age 28 (29 this year)
>Meanwhile, the guy that worked shit jobs like trucking laundry in the hospital catacombs (which I also did for a summer) is now a father and has his own (connected, but still) little house and works as a security guard or something
If only I played life as well as I play myself.

Your career is literally lying for a living, you deserve worse to be fair

>666
Well ok. I forgot a few things there, but yeah basically if I had just been a plumber, janitor or something I could've probably retired by now with my knowledge of trading/investing. Totally bought into the education meme, and here I am.

Recruiters will really look at you and, without the slightest sense of irony, tell you that they can't hire because I don't have enough experience.

Worked at a surveying job (calling people up for statistical surveys, no sales, just questions about tobacco, local transportation satisfaction etc.), but nobody gave a shit so I quit that because it barely paid and was a shit job where they count literally every single second you work actively or don't. You don't even get five minutes break per hour.

I can never understand this approach to education. You quit doing one degree to join one that's kind of fun and creative oriented and you're surprised the market for that sort of education is over saturated?

It sounds like you couldn't do plumbing or manual labor considering you couldn't stick with the survey job or your planning program. Everything is beneath you so you will never be able to grow and show value to anyone. You're genetically a NEET

I've quickly found out that good grades are not a ticket to an easy life.
I have a literal 4.0 GPA in a STEM major and have been unable to get a single damn internship because I'm so autistic.

Chad with his 2.4 GPA is going to get a better job than me.

>be retarded
>get a shit degree
>education is bad mkay
really made me think there

It's always the same story
>I heard working hard in education is the way to get a better life
>except I don't want to work hard and learn something useful because it's a lot of work
>I'll do something that's technically what everyone said but take the easiest route possible
>oh no it turns out everyone was lying about school

It's the same story with people with STEM degrees. It's always some bullshit biological garbage. People only pursue that so they can encounter the least math as possible

What major

Dang you're black and you didn't file a civil rights lawsuit against the evil white man and retire to the Bahamas to live with your fellow negroes?

You mean Tyrone is going to get the job you earned. Sheeeeeit.

This honestly.
Every college graduate is forced to work the shittiest of jobs now, no matter what field.
Older generations require ridiculous qualifications that take at least a decade to receive.
It's a scam to keep their jobs and they know it. They saw what happened to their parents generation and made sure if wouldn't happen to them.

MechE

>t. menstrual historiography phd

Hows the summer break

No, the market for that is more or less non-existant at an entry level. I'm applying for any IT job I can find, mainly as tech support. But they have an incredible amount of people applying for these jobs, so I'm not expecting much at this point.

Ignore the "design" part of the title, it's basically just research and creation of products/services that an intended user group might use, and with the intention of figuring out the best way for them to use it/achieve their goals and so on.

Maybe I should've taken more time to write it, it was mainly for OP's benefit. I'm not lazy once I get started, and when I do something I really do it properly, a bit too much a lot of the time. People see me as dependable, results-oriented and with en eye for details. I know this is some recruitment-talk bullshit, but I can't be bothered to sum it up in a succinct enough manner in english for this post as I'll no doubt just get shit on anyway.

I didn't continue on the ""job"" because it didn't change anything. In nine months, nobody even really mentioned it in interviews. Even with that active, it was always the same thing; "Oh, not enough experience, everything else checks out". They don't care if you get some unrelated experience, it doesn't do anything for IT-jobs.

The city planning program was full of fruitcakes, communists and idealistic morons that just wanted to plan things only for the sake of planning. The first part was mostly history anyway, so that was easy, just scan through a bunch of books and write a few pages every few weeks. I always slept through school, but that program was particularly sleep-inducing.

Yeah, what the second guy said. It's more or less "I'll do this because I should", but then it turns out you can't get even a basic job.

good students in any major get good jobs. if you took it easy in a community college "math" oriented major, you also might get rejected everywhere. the problem is that there is a culture around education being valuable, but 99% of teachers don't provide an education and aren't required to. university is literally a game of who can use the most resources and who is the best at making friends.

>4.0 in MechE
no. also every mech e program includes projects with a company and a mentor. "im so autistic" doesn't mean anything in engineering. that's like an actor saying "im too fake"

why dont we make a neet coin project for helping people develop skills they can work from home that benefit the users of the network (whatever its decided purpose is)

Don't lose hope m8. Things will turn around for you, just don't give up.

Why wouldn't someone just learn coding or engineering in this day and age? It's literally free jobs with 6-figure salaries everywhere in the world. Choosing liberal arts or anything like that is literally financial suicide, you shouldn't do it if you're not prepared for that.

What does it feel like to be part of a career path that is only marginally more trusted than lawyers, politicians and used car salesmen?
A career that is filled with shills, liars and partisans?

I'm genuinely curious. Journalists are pretty much regarded as scumbags by most of the populace right now. I would rather work at McDonalds and keep my dignity.

What does it feel like to kick someone when they are down?

Mech E is a fucking good major. Idk why you suck. Should be E Z money.

It means that a lot of companies don't hire these days. They hire other companies to hire for them. It's common to have humanities-majors hiring for IT positions here for example. It has happened that they've hired people for jobs that require a driver's license, and then it turns out the person doesn't have one.

If you can charm the Stacy hiring, you'll get the job with or without the skills.

>don't hire
are you retarded?

again, autism and engineering go hand in hand. that's an advantage. "muh stacy hiring game XDD" is common only to positions where there are hundreds of applicants who are all trash. they fill the bottom of the pool with anyone and everyone who seems unique, whether that means a female engineer, a black guy from a poor family, or an indian who doesn't know any english. stacy doesn't have any influence over actual engineers, because she doesn't understand the first thing about the position. and if you find yourself sucking dick at presenting your case to HR either way(which begs the question why you think you're smart enough for an engineering position....), then you connect on linkedin, at tech events, and physically handing your resume to the supervisors.

i can 100% understand if you were so fucking stupid and lazy in school that you joined an art history major and they didn't teach you how to network or pursue a career. but literally EVERY real engineering graduate is taught that you need a business card, you need a mentor, and you need to get your foot in the door long before you graduate, if you want "easy street." and even if you don't, we have people being hired out of high school or with shitty certificates because we can't wait; anything to do with tech, automation, research or business does not keep up with demand. maybe you just aren't willing to relocate?

>are you retarded?
Asks the person too dense to comprehend how IDs function, haha oh wow.

Just graduated with a degree in Sociology so i'm with you on this suicide train. Applied to join the Navy, and looking for any potential masters to save face, not sure there is one though.

just graduated with a degree in scientology im with you on this

Ah I'm sorry if I misjudged the story you wrote. You do seem to have good reasons to do the things you did. I hope it works out

It'll work out, but I have to figure something out to do that doesn't involve working for someone else. It's probably the only way I'll be happy working, anyway.

I'm about to start trading again, so if I can keep doing it this time it might very well be the time I never find a reason to stop. Kind of need to make it work at this point, so that helps too. Also, binary trading exists (yes, with real brokers like CMC Markets for me - although they call it something else) so now I don't even need to do much more than press up or down at the right time more or less. Need a few weeks in the demo to get back into it I think, though..

Anyway, I should go fap to south american cam girls and then watch a movie, both things an enjoyable evening should contain. I'll be back when I'm a millionaire, to arrange a giveaway thread for my fellow Veeky Forumsraelis and /pol/acks. A micro-loan thing without the payback requirement maybe.

Speaking of degrees everyone talks about how accounting degrees are good. What I've heard from actual accountants though is that you're stuck in a room all day working for pennies. Can someone confirm?

OP I respect journalists a lot. Feel bad. Where do you live man?

I feel pretty fortunate reading these stories I guess. Studied political science and have almost no hard marketable skills, but I found a non-major related job that's pretty ok. Got hired with no relevant experience

relative is a comptroller with an accounting degree and makes 120k a year.

Doesn't he have to work 100 hours a week though?