Has the nuclear family ever collapsed before? Or is the contemporary West the first to experience this?

Has the nuclear family ever collapsed before? Or is the contemporary West the first to experience this?

>Or is the contemporary West the first to experience this?
Obviously (if you'd say it collapsed), since the nuclear family is a non-traditional and modern family structure.

Nuclear family only emerged in the early 1900s.

two parents + children living in the same home has been going on since ancient greece, if not before

Men take wives, men always take wives everywhere.

No more wives is basically the collapse of society.

Would it even be possible the economy to adapt to the nuclear family collapsing? Assuming people live with their grandparents and cousins

If you're talking specifically about the 'nuclear family', no. It was just a fad to utilize the baby boom.

If you're talking about vast swathes of 'post-industrial' societies not starting families at all despite the theoretical capability to, then you're absolutely correct.

When the state collapses and womyn start going back to their dads for protection.

Pretty much this: Current bullshit single parent households only exist because of relative wealth and welfare.

No. The family (assuming we're talking about the west in a very general term) used to be much larger and include grandparents, unmarried siblings to the people married, animals living inside, and whatnot. It's known as the "extended family" and is something else but the nuclear family.

I don't know why you think otherwise since it's pretty common knowledge for anyone interested in the subject.

Bull fucking shit. It was parents + children + grandparents at the very least. My grandma grew up like that and that was the 1920s.

>ancient Greece
More like one guy + a boy + a woman (locked up in the pigsty).

IIRC aristotle talks about families being fathers, mothers, children, and slaves

I don't remember mention of extended family but I could be wrong

I have never heard of two sets of grandparents living together being normal

Not necessarily two sets, the families were patrilineal so it was usually the wife moving into an established household her husband already lived in. So basically your dad's parents. Although two sets of grandparents weren't completely unheard of.

why is the woman abusing those cats? Why do they not fight back?

putting cats in socks hanging from a clothes line is abuse? I think she's just playing with them

You know that old saying that history repeats itself? Well it's more accurate to say that things happen in cycles. Also, the "nuclear family" isn't a modern Western invention. The harem is a meme. Even hunter gatherers formed pair bonds. See: tribal people. What we're experiencing now is everyone's political ideologies fucking with the natural order of things, but humanity has a history of making life more convoluted and problematic for ourselves for absolutely no reason.

>he thinks monogamy and nuclear family are synonyms
lol

Family structures have always been around in some form or fashion as the norm for society. It is only now because of the welfare state (Not in the negative sense, in the sense the state can provide support to individuals during hard times or retirement) that the family's importance for stability has been greatly reduced. Prior to that, extended families were often responsible for their own and without a family, one was left out in the cold completely. It's why things like banishment was such a big deal as a punishment -- a banished person is cut off from external support and has to rely completely on himself, along with having one's identity stripped since much of that was tied to family as well.

Despite OP's choice of words, I think this is somewhat pedantic, since I'm guessing his curiosity is more going from a traditional family structure at least including husband/wife/child et. al. to single person households for an extended time or the rise of single parent households. Or even worse, the rise of grandparent/child households because the parents are unfit to take care of their child.

It could be either way. Fathers, mothers, and children can refer to grandfathers, their sons (fathers), etc. as well.

what if fucking things up for ourselves isn't always an accident though? Easy tool of a tyrant, a destabilised, conflicted population is far less a threat than a peacefull organised one.