Hey Veeky Forums I need to do a research paper on the 1863 draft riots

hey Veeky Forums I need to do a research paper on the 1863 draft riots.
>starts doing research
>notices rioters target Blacks a lot instead of draft offices and political buildings
>wonders why blacks were targeted in first place
>makes thesis that blacks were the main target of the rioters despite the obvious violent protest that should have been carried out on Political figures.

Why were blacks targeted so much. In one case the angry mobs burn down a black orphanage and kill lil black kids. like yeah sure i could see why they lynch a few negros here and there for fun because that was a thing back then, but goddamn these new yorkers of the 1860's were savage to kill little black kids and burn them alive.

so give me reasons why they did it besides the obvious "they waz racist" short answer.

tell me what caused it all. please

said orphanage

I might be really off here but one of the official reasons for the civil war was the liberation of the slaves in the south. Maybe they felt resentment against blacks because they felt they had to send their sons to die for them while so many of the black community did not?

Again, I have little interest in the american civil war, as far as wars go, it's a pretty shit one.

>want to kill government officials
>government officials have enough friends and money to escape
>want to kill negroes
>negroes are shit out of luck

Same reason the diversity burned down a bunch of Korean stores during the LA riots instead of going after city hall.

Low hanging fruit.

Thanks! its a start, honestly I'm looking for basically anything to look into.right now i am baffled why there were so many deaths of the black community. Your reasoning actually makes sense ill just have to research it a bit more now to see if that is true.

Good comparison! just to clarify you say it was most of a coping device almost. No government officials, so therefore blacks instead?
something like Spanish Jewish massacre of 1366, cant kill the king, so Jews.

the story was that the war was because of blacks, so killing black will remove the need for the war (never said americans were a smart bunch...)

lol so basically black purge. makes sense. I hope I can find some justification of this in my research. do you know of any material i might be able to look into on this or a certain criteria that i might google search to find information on that statement?

More or less.

In Los Angeles, there had been a Korean shop owner who had shot and killed a 15 year old black girl and gotten probation for it. The black community hated Asians to begin with because they tended to be the only successful people in certain communities.

The black community was mainly pissed at the LAPD, but you can't win a fight against the LAPD, so they went after Korean stores.

Keep in mind the rioters also burned down a shitload of black and white owned stores, because rioters are mindless and opportunistic by nature.

In the draft riots, the rioters were pissed because there were draft exemptions for blacks, and also that they were getting sent off to the front to die.

They didn't have any ability to go after politicians, but the violence created an opportunity for mindless, atavistic violence against blacks.

The initial reason for the civil war was thatbthe yankees started taxing the south too much which caused the south to be like im out. They didn't say no slavery until midway through the war.

Part of it had to do with blacks not being in the regular army. Kinda a catch 22, they didn't trust the blacks to do much more than March in a strait line into guns so they didn't really want black troops, but whites are upset at blacks for not serving in the army, it was mostly the Irish.

Look into recurrent tactics, the draft and regulations.

the way LA treated those Koreans who defended themselves after the riots is a crime unto itself.

>Recruitment tactics
T.phoneposter

Quick question, what state do you live in?

New Hampshire.

Virginia here.

It was about slavery, read any of the states official declarations explaining why they did it.

They felt blacks supported the draft in the war to free black slaves, they were "them" in the "us versus them". They were also an easier target being poor.

>Lincoln makes slavery the cenral reason for the war
draft.exe
>white people mad they're being forced to fight/die for blacks
>Your teacher's face when northerners were racist too...(ie-white flight after the "great migration"

this is a huge help! thanks user

THANKS user!

Live free or die dude! CT here, I'll be moving to New Hampshire once im out of grad school, Governor Melloy keeps fuckin up our state. got dam lib tards.

NYer here

you have to see the forest for the trees. Yea, it was about slavery...but the south didn't secede and go to war after the Gov tried to ban it...they left once the Gov started saying all new states admitted to the Union would be free states.

The Constitution does not delegate that power to the Fed gov. The south saw it as the act of an oppressive govt.

I'm not saying slavery is good or justifiable, but the Feds overstepped their power.

hence the term Northern Aggression, Right?

watch Gangs of New York. Aside from the central gang war story, the peripheral details are pretty good.

Irish immigration was huge and recruiters literally waites at the docks..."join the army, fight for your new nation, get food and get paid."

>Why were blacks targeted so much
Who else would you target?

not even that...after the south left the union, of course only the north was left. It was more like the war of Federal dominance.

Ever since the Feds have gained more and more power.

Seen it multiple times, great movie!

always thought the scene on the dock where the Irish were flooding in and being recruited was a fabrication. at least from what I've heard and read. I'm sure some case of that was true though.

arguable towards the increase in power post ww 2 and the new deal. but yeah I hear ya! makes a lot of sense really. thanks for the insight user.

irishamericancivilwar DOT com

article about an Irish immigrant named Robert Jenkins who was recruited the same day he arrived in NYC and ws wounded just 3 months later

thanks user, looks like a good read! acutally might use it in my research paper

>The Constitution does not delegate that power to the Fed gov. The south saw it as the act of an oppressive govt.

Funny how they only began to feel this way in 1860 when they were losing their inflated, 3/5 farm equipment representation fueled control over said federal government. Because as far as I can recall the government deciding the slave status of new territories went all the way back to the articles of confederation and the northwest ordinance, and continued through every slavery compromise in between then and the civil war.

It's almost as though "muh federal government" was a smokescreen for some other issue.

I see dead rabbits

Important to note majority of the Irish did not take part in the draft riots, plenty of them were very eager to take part in the civil war, on both sides, the draft riots were a small minority

The vulgar reason is that when you're a mick coming from a famine ridden island of oppression baited to a new continent with the idea that you're going to attain some semblance or dignity (proto-american dream) - you're obviously not going to take kindly to some desperate log-cabin neanderthal insisting that you enlist and fight on some southern field because apparently the plight of the American Negroe demands your urgent coerced attention, and LIFE if need be.

Humans generally like to help one another, what they universally abhor though, is being forced to help. Perhaps in time, some solidarity could have been cultivated and the Whites of the North may have grown sympathetic enough to enlist in sufficient numbers to liberate the Blacks of the south (a people they typically thought little of). The Union didn't have time though, they asked for way too much, way too quick.

Consider two anxieties,
>Economic: European migrant's tenuous economic position would not likely have been improved by his employment in the army. You go off and fight, even if it goes well - you lose your civilian job, taken by some new immigrant or worse, some negroe neophite who began marching your way the moment emancipation was proclaimed and you were marched his way.
>SOCIAL Many in america thought abolition was inevitable, many sort solace in the fact it would be peaceful and gradual (it wasn't). A few hundred thousand dead white men later and 4 million blacks freed with the stroke of a pen, suddenly even abolitionists begin to feel apprehensive. The meme often touted as hysterical before, that abolition would bring the horrors of haiti were legitimised by recent events. These stories were often more vivid in the nautical, and in urban places where they proliferated. New York was thus a petri dish of consciousness. Dock workers showed pronounced animosity to blacks in this era.

It may be racist, that doesn't invalidate the existential anxiety they felt, you'd have felt it too

do go on if you don't mind explaining. I was pretty certain the Irish had a decent part being that they were a considerable part of the Population of NYC in 1863. Please do tell more

*starts taking note*

thanks user, I'll look into this more!