Should the supernatural aspects of religion be discussable on /x/?

Should the supernatural aspects of religion be discussable on /x/?

They'd allow religious posters to bring 'evidence' to bear on religion arguments. On the other hand, it could set a dangerous precedent.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854941/
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0017601
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*Veeky Forums, not /x/. Freudian slip.

We should just have a board dedicated to theology and mysticism.
>tfw so much unexplainable, miraculous, documented shit has happened leaving scientists and doctors boggled but people are too reluctant to talk about it on Veeky Forums because it feels inappropriate and almost unworthy

Wouldn't that instantly get invaded by reddit-tier trolls, fedora thumpers and /x/ roleplayers?

At least it'd get them out of Veeky Forums for a bit.

More to the point, even with the creation of Veeky Forums, religion is in a weird place.

Religion proper seemingly goes on Veeky Forums, but it's incomplete.

Religious literature goes on Veeky Forums.

Supernatural aspects of religion go on /x/.

The modern relationships of religion to the world go on /pol/.

yeah it already happens anytime someone makes a claim that has no material supporting evidence, in almost every thread.

It probably would but I imagine it would also have a lot of potential to bring really interesting threads. It would also serve as a containment board for anything religious so we could discuss everything discussed in these threads user has listed as opposed to crossboarding to discuss one thing at a time. Especially mysticism which is too cool and deep for /x/ imo.
>tfw I just realized the picture is Eucharist
I know this is a blessed thing but that is really disturbing.
Nobody ever brings up miracles and mysticism. Everyone sticks to philosophical and theological debates. I've yet to see anyone bring up something like Lourdes.

>mental illness card instantly played by fedoras
I have lived experiences but dont bother posting them.

>Nobody ever brings up miracles and mysticism
>Everyone sticks to philosophical and theological debates
>what is cognitivism and moral realism
>what is supra-phenomenological positivism
>what is social science
>what is personal pride in ancestral accomplishments
>what is an unfalsifiable claim
utter mysticism

People bring up the "sun miracle" fairly regularly. Then someone points out that staring at the sun fucks with your eyes, which is why you are specifically advised not to do that, and then the fedora images come out and discussion ends.

Is that when the devil, disguised as Mary, made the sun to dance about the sky?

Now that you talk about it that way it may be appropiate.

I'm just recovering from a rough patch (abandoned agnosticism and came back to Catholicism after almost 7 years of having abandoned my beliefs) and most of my faith building experience has been philosophical and theological, so having a board to talk about the supernatural without /x/ shitting up and roleplaying would be nice.

There are plenty of well documented cases. Especially medical ones.
>inb4 you imply an eye tumor can disappear overnight after the medical staff confirming the tumors presence
To be fair the Sun Miracle was always a pretty weak one.

>most of my faith building experience has been philosophical and theological

Way to not get what the word "faith" means then

>so having a board to talk about the supernatural without /x/ shitting up and roleplaying would be nice.
Dude yeah I've been itching to discuss purgatory, theology in regards to the angelic probation, along with some mystics but Veeky Forums and /x/ are just awful places to discuss said things.

The "well documented" ones are often reported by particularly biased sources and lack independent verification. Anyone can tell a story, especially a good one, but without supporting evidence it's hard to call anything a miracle.

yeah dude. I'm sure that after 7 years of atheist nonsense and scientism poisoning you would be able to correctly come back to your faith. You may choose to believe in God one day and leave it at that. But I want to critically think about my faith and counter any self-defeating argument I may have. I have many doubts and I don't want to end up failing again just because I have a poor understanding of God like the one I had before.

>But I want to critically think about my faith and counter any self-defeating argument I may have. I have many doubts and I don't want to end up failing again just because I have a poor understanding of God like the one I had before.

That sounds like an excellent way to fail again. All you'll be doing is forcing yourself to believe in something you don't really believe in. Your frantic need for flawless arguments, and the forced hatred of some atheist boogeyman tells me more than enough.

I agree.

Do you just spend your whole day pretending to be a fundamentalist protestant on Veeky Forums.

You're in the wrong religion, theres a point where your religion requires insincere manipulations to stay afloat.

What are you talking about? I'm neither a fundamentalist, nor a protestant

>All you'll be doing is forcing yourself to believe in something you don't really believe in. Your frantic need for flawless arguments, and the forced hatred of some atheist boogeyman tells me more than enough.

What the fuck does this even mean?
>atheist boogeyman

Where the fuck did I even talk about atheism?

>You're in the wrong religion, theres a point where your religion requires insincere manipulations to stay afloat.

Ebin.

Its true, the bible says than the generation of the bible will not pass until all is fullfilled and that not all disciples will have died when the kingdom comes in power.

You mean the verse that was already debated to death by Christians ourselves? Ok, sure thing bro, you showed me.

My boy. There are plenty of well-documented cases if you put in the effort to find them.
>For nine subjects living in 2008, the time elapsed since the cure was ten to fifty-four years. Considering the lengthy observation periods, it may be claimed that four cases of tuberculosis were actually cured. This series provides three examples of multiple sclerosis with remissions of at least forty-year duration, synonymous with cure; the speed with which the cures occurred is impressive and without known equivalent.46 Two of the most recent cases (No. 23, 25) are related to osteosarcoma and this diagnosis seems beyond dispute. The first of these two cases (MIC, No. 23) epitomizes a Lourdes cure.
-ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854941/

I mean the verses you non gnostic false scripture following false christians never debate much nor treat with sincerity.

>it's a "Satan hides behind gnostic user" episode

>a gnostic
>being this arrogant

>arrogant!
We have no moral tenets retard.

You can't really seperate it from religious discussion which falls into humanities. So I guess.

P.S.
& Humanities was a mistake.

>For nine subjects living in 2008, the time elapsed since the cure was ten to fifty-four years. Considering the lengthy observation periods, it may be claimed that four cases of tuberculosis were actually cured.
For example, that initially sounds really impressive, until you think about what is actually being said. Over the observation period, there were four cases of tuberculosis remission. What percentage does four cases represent in the context of all tuberculosis infections during the examined timeframe? And, comparatively, what percentage of untreated tuberculosis cases go into remission anyway? According to journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0017601 , in non-HIV infected patients the mortality rate in the untreated could be as high as 70% for patients whose smear tests showed positive for tuberculosis. Meaning, of that same group, 30% experienced remission despite not being treated. The "miracle" is only so when you ignore the greater context, but it makes for a good story.

>The duration of tuberculosis from onset to cure or death is approximately 3 years and appears to be similar for smear-positive and smear-negative tuberculosis
>This series provides three examples of multiple sclerosis with remissions of at least forty-year duration, synonymous with cure; the speed with which the cures occurred is impressive and without known equivalent
>the speed with which the cures occurred is impressive and without known equivalent
Here are the conditions for a Lourdes miracle to even be considered for a possible "miracle" by the CMIL.

>The cure must be immediate (rapid resolution of symptoms and signs of the illness)
>The cure must be complete (with no residual impairment or deficit)
The cure must be permanent (with no recurrence)
What makes the cases so bizzare is the immediate recovery coupled with the remission.
Also it's 20% not 30%.

I say move ALL religious discussion on /x/, where it belongs.

>the speed with which the cures occurred is impressive and without known equivalent
Again, this sounds impressive initially, but what does it actually mean? What were the actual levels of bacterial growth immediately pre- and post- Lourdes? Were they measured or not? Because if not, then all you have to go on are the severity of symptoms, which can vary due to a number of factors. There is a huge difference between someone self-reporting that they feel better and being legitimately medically cured. The four cases were likely eventually cured, but the "speed" here doesn't seem to refer to that, only symptoms.

>The cure must be permanent (with no recurrence)
Again, spontaneous complete remission is not miraculous, because in untreated TB it seems to happen as often as 30% of cases. And yes, it's 30%. The 20% is the mortality rate for untreated patients who do not test positive for TB on their smear tests but do test positive for TB cultures. The 30% comes from the 70% mortality rate for untreated patients who test positive on both.

All religion threads belong on /x/.