How do I accept Christ? I try to believe but it just doesn't click with me. Am I doomed?

How do I accept Christ? I try to believe but it just doesn't click with me. Am I doomed?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/242655.The_Orthodox_Way
scientificamerican.com/article/new-physics-complications-lend-support-to-multiverse-hypothesis/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

accept Judaism my friend, it's life affirming and communal, with beautiful aesthetics to boot

You've made the first step. You can read some basic theology or directly go to the Bible.

What is the thing preventing you from believing in God? I suggest you read Mere Christianity from C.S. Lewis

I've given thought to that, as well as Islam. But Christianity is the only religion that really interests me

No.

I read Matthew, when I got to Mark I kinda just clocked out because of the repetition of the story. Should I just skip past the first four gospels or...?

What exactly are you interested in? Islam probably offers the most "complete" religion in that it is so utterly controlling that even most "moderate" Muslims are really more like extreme conservatives.

On the other hand, Judaism and Christianity flat out ignore their holy books and in some cases are ridiculously cucked

Ye must be born again

I dunno, it's just like how can one man have such a huge impact on the world? There must be something there. And I really don't want to be wrong (going to hell)

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
Mark 9:24

Also what's preventing me from believing in God is just the lack of historical evidence of Jesus. There's only like, one passage that mentions him (that isn't a forgery) Surely there would have been accounts of thousands of living corpses walking around and shit

How is your basic understanding of philosophy? You can read the historical Bible books. You need to read them to understand the New Testament. Or at least read the first five.

your belief will never be true and pure if it's born out of simple fear.

you have to yearn for something deeper and meaningful.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

I've not dived into any philosophy yet. Not even in high school. I'll give it another shot. Also I've read Revelation but who hasn't tho?

There is plenty of physical evidence of Jesus existence. Historical records and accounts.

About his resurrection? That's one of the dogmas. It's a miracle. There's no evidence and you need to accept it. But considering you're taking baby steps that comes later.

no, fear is fear.

god is love, not fear.

Eh, I am not entirely sure that is something that should worry you. The vast majority of scholars (theist and atheist) reject the Christ myth theory.

Tacitus is who you are talking about, correct? Josephus is at least considered partially intact still.

If you had some starts of Philosophy you could tackle the issue in a different way. But you don't, so you will need to read the Bible. About faith: think of how you accept that a triangle has sides. This is the same way you should accept God.

Yep, Tacitus. I'll look into the other guy now

>putting God in lower case

Also a belief in God can come from the fear of death, solitude or any kind of internal struggle. C.S. Lewis understood that. The belief in God strengthens through Love.

Josephus has pretty much universally been accepted as containing interpolations, the section in book 18 in particular. The reference in book 20 is generally considered okay.

You should probably focus your attention closer to the problems in the NT, such as some of the geographic problems, the differences in the gospels and stuff like the earthquake after Christ's death, and maybe how to marry modern scientific thought with some biblical concepts like the fall of man

Will start reading the Bible again tonight.

You should probably Kierkegaard, or read about Kierkegaard's philosophy, particularly the leap to faith, though I am not entirely sure how well you would be able to understand it if you have no background in reading philosophy

Checking it out on Wikipedia now. Lol

>any kind of internal struggle
why not from external struggle?

Read the orthodox way, it's great.
goodreads.com/book/show/242655.The_Orthodox_Way

Read only quality Christian apologetics and only engage stupid atheists and atheist works .

Combine this with praying the our father prayer or another Christian prayer (as long as it's the same one ) 50 + times a day. Combjne this with fasting

It works for commies as well as it does Christians

Faith is just one of those things you have or you don't. But that doesn't mean you can't live a Christian life and be good to everyone.

You simply choose to.

>worshiping Isa ibn Maryam (Peace be Upon Him)
>Not Allah

id worship whoever she wanted

Faith OP, faith

You dont have to believe.

Just do as he says and you'll be doing a million times better than 99% of "believers".

>He isn't a Jain yet

Hinduism is the best religion. Abrahamic religions are much less deep and their philosophies are way less dense. I mean, they don't even believe in reincarnation. How could God be both just and also make people burn in hell for eternity for the actions they did in one life? Makes no sense. Christians don't think enough into things.

Origen was Christianity's first systematic theologian and he posited reincarnation. Augustine entertained the idea. But later theologians and church councils rejected it.

Yeah it's unfortunate.

Same here OP.

I gain faith when I hear a good sermon or read the bible, or sometimes before I go to sleep. But in the next day when I wake up it's as if nothing had happened.

you lack compromise. I do too, so don't take it the wrong way.

The fact is that the Christians have to first convince you that their hell is real, or that life on earth is hell, then follow it up with the handy solution to their self-imposed problem in the first place.
There's a reason only drug addicts or whackjobs need this fake Jesus cat, normal people think life is great.

STOP YOUR SHITTY LARPING ON THIS BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Right, or he might suffer from cognitive dissonance, eh Ælian?

Otherwise, how else could he not admit that C.S. Lewis defeated Nietzsche?

>normal people think life is great
r/atheism fucks are anything but "normal"

>normal people think life is great.

How come so many people seem to struggle existentially, though?

I want to believe, but the faith thing makes no sense to me when I also believe in science.

Would it help if I point out physics just proved the existence of God? Scientists are clinging to a 'multiverse' theory to keep their precious naturalism, but the fact is our universe is so unusual it cannot exist by chance, unless you assume there are infinite universes, which is unprovable, therefore God exists.

scientificamerican.com/article/new-physics-complications-lend-support-to-multiverse-hypothesis/

yeah, there's this weird thing about physics. Somehow the physics think it's easier to say that there are infinite universes instead of accepting a far more logical and consistent explanation (i.e., the existence of God being true). Even Stephen Hawking admitted that God would fit with our current knowledge about physics. And when he admitted the possibility of multiple universes he did so while also admitting he couldn't understand the reality of it.

The only reason there is a multiverse theory is because the evidence is piling up that our universe is not 'natural'. Having an infinite number of universes is the only way to reconcile the idea that our universe is not special with the fact that clearly a LOT of physical phenomena are tuned very finely to allow life to be created. With infinite universes then than the improbability of our universe being on the razors edge needed to support life becomes moot. So physicists really, REALLY want there to be a multiverse, because if this is the only universe, like what was assumed before the 1990s then there is only one possible logical conclusion. God exists.

>tuned very finely to allow life to be created

Yeah right that's why it is so rare right?

Christcucks in denial again.

You need evidence for your God not just say oh there is something we don't know that's why god.

Still no evidence? Oh ok we will wait another few thousand years for it, oh wait he will come back soon right?

>retardation

>Yeah right that's why it is so rare right?
It's rare because God didn't will any life to be created anywhere else. Remember the Fermi Paradox is a scientific problem, not a religious one. Not seeing any aliens is no problem at all for Christianity, huge problem for evolutionary scientists who think creating life is just a matter of getting the right chemicals in the primordial ooze with some sunlight.

Religion wins again.

>then there is only one possible logical conclusion. God exists

Stop drawing conclusions that do not make any sense.

This is the conclusion you want not the most logical one.

We have 0 evidence for your god so he (most likely) doesn't exist so why believe in him?
Oh you are afraid of a made up place called hell, oh you think you will gainsomething after death called heaven.
You hate being honest and afraid of saying "I don't know yet"

Step 1 make up bullshit
Step 2 make up imaginary benefit
Step 3 make up imaginary disadvantage

= mind control + money

>It's rare because God didn't will any life to be created anywhere else.

Good job making up stuff again, you are pretty desperate.

Love to see you doing mental gymnastics and pumping out logical fallacies to defend your irrational psychosis from reality.

Bye, you are wasting your life and giving up the thing that makes you human your ability to think.

>Scientific data points to the inescapable conclusion our universe was created
>Scientists rushing en masse to non falsifable multiverse theories to preserve naturalism because they know the fight is over for this universe
>"Huuur stop making up stuff"

Fuck off faggot. Scientific data says either God or Multiverse, both are not falsifiable, and guess what? Multiverse wasn't even an option until the 1990s when scientists suddenly realized where all the data was pointing. God exists, scientific fact.

>Fuck off faggot. Scientific data says either God or Multiverse

Source for that claim?

Read the article I posted you fucking cumguzzler. Keep in mind when they say "adds support to multiverse" what they really mean is "Oh fuck it turns out there is no rational reason why our universe should be this fine tuned, naturalism has been proven wrong in this universe so we need to push it back a step and say there's a multiverse that is naturalistic instead"

> “Ten or 20 years ago, I was a firm believer in naturalness,” said Nathan Seiberg, a theoretical physicist at the Institute, where Einstein taught from 1933 until his death in 1955. “Now I’m not so sure. My hope is there’s still something we haven’t thought about, some other mechanism that would explain all these things. But I don’t see what it could be.”

>Physicists reason that if the universe is unnatural, with extremely unlikely fundamental constants that make life possible, then an enormous number of universes must exist for our improbable case to have been realized. Otherwise, why should we be so lucky?

Multiverse is the last gasp of the naturalist. God exists. Everything points to it, physics, biology, chemistry, everything. Gods fingerprints are all over it and the only way to cling on to naturalism is to say "Uhhh, well it's actually infinite therefore even the tiniest probabilities can come true :^)"

Face it, you lost bud. God exists.

>God exists, scientific fact.

Congrats on still making up stuff, I bet it also says it's your god right?

Not one of the thousands other gods, I mean cmon they are wrong heaven is for you and your guys right?

People like you are the living evidence we evolved from monkeys.

>the Fermi Paradox
Literally uses pure conjecture at every level. It's a mathematical formalization of throwing darts at a the side of a barn and I hate that pop sci has latched on to it so hard.

>scientificamerican.com/article/new-physics-complications-lend-support-to-multiverse-hypothesis/

>Decades of confounding experiments have physicists considering a startling possibility: the universe might not make sense

Stop implying stuff and read the damn article.

>considering possibility

of a multiverse

And then you come and draw a completely unsupported conculsion that god has anything to do with a multiverse or that if evidence leads to a multiverse, that this fact has anything to do with a god.

You were not even able to read the article without making up poor unscientific conclusions.

The article is not evidence for the multiverse and even if so, a multiverse does not proof the existence of your shizophrenic hallucination.

Fuck you have to be desperate, nice to see how you farm logical fallacies tho.

The logic involved is roughly correct though. If life was so easy to create that it was inevitable on Earth, based on the scale of the universe then there should be billions of lifeforms, many of which should be millions of years more advanced than us. The mediocrity principle states we are not special in any way, but if that was true there should be at the very least thousands of alien races around us. There aren't. It's a paradox in scientific terms. Not so for religion.

Religion wins again.

That's 3 points to Religion, 0 to Science if you're keeping score.

>ibn Maryam
Isn't that like a huge insult in Arabic culture.

>And then you come and draw a completely unsupported conculsion that god has anything to do with a multiverse or that if evidence leads to a multiverse, that this fact has anything to do with a god.
It does though. The whole reason it 'supports' a multiverse is because of the improbability involved with the constants. A multiverse is needed to maintain a naturalistic view BECAUSE the implication is if this is the only universe than the data says it is too improbable to have formed naturally, and thus created. You're probably 14 years old based on your typing, so how about you finish High School before you try arguing against your intellectual betters.

>roughly correct

No such thing as roughly correct.

Religion loses again and you sir should go to a dotcor I am afraid you are actually insane.

>If life was so easy to create that it was inevitable on Earth, based on the scale of the universe then there should be billions of lifeforms, many of which should be millions of years more advanced than us. The mediocrity principle states we are not special in any way, but if that was true there should be at the very least thousands of alien races around us.

Still making up stuff with your poor understanding of logic and science, living evidence that we evolved from monkeys.

Religion still 0 Science/Logic ∞

>Using empirical scientific data to make a conclusion is 'making stuff up'
You need to fuck off to bed kiddo, long day of school tomorrow.

>based on the scale of the universe then there should be billions of lifeforms
Based on signal-noise theory we wouldn't be able to differentiate anything from the background radiation from outside our own galaxy unless they're playing with structures the size of galaxies, and the Fermi equation, being entirely multiplicative, is sensitive enough that adjusting the numbers by a single factor of ten reduces the prediction of life in our galaxy from millions to impossible.

The Fermi Equation is a red herring. You don't need an arbitrary equation to be able to logically deduce that life in our galaxy seems to be far less common that is expected based on the scale of the galaxy, let alone the universe. It's still a scientific paradox because the mediocrity principle states we should not be anything special, there should have been many, many intelligent species millions if not billions of years before us, and yet no sign of anything at all.

>if this is the only universe than the data says it is too improbable to have formed naturally, and thus created.

Or just use your brain once this is my last attempt to activate your only remaining brain cell.

First of all the theory ins not proven, we don't know if our universe is naturalistic or not.

Second: than the data says it is too improbable to have formed naturally

This is not true and learn the difference between than and then retard.

Third and thus created.

Again this is where you are wrong retard, you are making this point up because it is the only way to justify your irrational belief.

There is no evidence for a god existing/doing/creating anything.

You are going for the god of the gaps approach, probably the most pathetic approach existing.

Ewww there is a hole in your theory or there is something we don't know/understand yet that's why god.

Just shows how desperate you are, how horrible your understanding of logic and science is.

I thought this would be harder.

Bye wasted enough time with you, omw to university now nice to see evolution happening in a laboratory.

Stay at home and read your bible while others are trying to explain the universe and filling the last holes that give you the illusion of "proving" your imaginary friend.

Religion 0 science/reason/logic 1428912481

No you are drawing all you said out of your ass, science has a clear understanding how many aliens should exist and even how smart they are.

And here you show us how little you know:
"but if that was true there should be at the very least thousands of alien races around us."

No there shouldn't be thousands "around us".
This is where we can clearly see that you have 0 knowledge of the scientific method and the reasearch done on this subject.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

This is my last warning, stop drawing conclusions out of your ass.

Provide evidence for your claims and don't try to use your bad understanding of science to prove your god.

The mediocrity principle doesn't state anything of the like. It states that events occur almost always in the more likely manner. If we assume the Earth to be "normal," the principle predicts millions of other Earths. Since Earth is the only planet we know of with life on it, it simply follows that Earth is from the least likely category vis a vis life.
[spoiler]i do kinda believe in god, i just believe god is closer to what most people would see as the platonic form of mathematics than what they see as god[/spoiler]

>science has a clear understanding how many aliens should exist and even how smart they are
I feel sorry for any atheists here because you're making them look fucking terrible by association. There's no shame in just admitting you have no idea what you're talking about and dipping out now, and I recommend it because you're embarrassing yourself pretty bad at this point

>Drake Equation
>Accuses others of pulling stuff out of their ass

He's literally saying you're wrong because the numbers used in the Drake equation are pulled out of Drake's ass.

If you realize the ego is an ellusion you'll also understand thre's no after lige, but only the "NOW"

"Humanities" was a mistake.

u do realize there are thousands of christian sects all preaching their own versions and beliefs, right? You dont necessarily have to believe jesus actually existed to believe in the metaphorical character and his message, which no on can argue is inherently bad.

>which no on can argue is inherently bad
Nietzsche and luciferians.

oh you

HELLBOUND SINNER

What about a hairy manlet eating a pastrami sandwich is aesthetic?

>Matthew
The tabloids of the bible, with a lot of it contradicting what Jesus did.

>Ugh, i'm scared of hell you guys
Don't be such a fucking coward.

The Bible isn't really a book you read like that. You really need to actively analyze it, considering why one gospel emphasizes things that another doesn't is part of that analysis. You don't just read it like a narrative, the Bible contains a deep spiritual message and you need to try and discern what that message it. There is a reason Bible study groups are a thing.

>This is my last warning,
wooo scaaaaaryyyy

go back to r/buddhism

Read Summa contra Gentiles, study Catholic miracles. Faith as a virtue isn't just intellectual assent, but rather trust, belief in things God reveals due to His authority, not evidence - it's God-given, but if you study the above (first is about what we can know about God through reason alone - and the outcome doesn't in anything contradict Christian God, but rather gets very close to our vision of Him; second confirms that the God whose existence was proved above works in the Catholic Church), you can at least know that He exists, and from this point it's easy to go.

Obviously, not a lot of people have time, reason or power to achieve at the conclusion that God exists, and ordinarily God gives people faith without evidence. It's definitely possible to learn about His existence without being given this grace though.

Sure thing buddy

>how come there isnt any physical evidence of a metaphysical being??!!?!

It just means "son of Mary", an is used in conjunction with Jesus' name to reaffirm his humanity and refute the idea that he was the Son of God. He is still one of the most important figures in Islam, and is mentioned as having no sin, is seen as the messiah, and is referenced around 180 times in the Quran.

Yeah, but they could've called him "ibn Iosef."

Here's a little story about Tienanmen Square
The people rose up and said "Life ain't fair."
Now they're sweating in a shop making iPhone and
You stand in front of tanks, the tanks are gonna win!

But Joseph is not as important as Mary in this instance. Mary also is a very important figure in Islam. She is referred to in the Quran more than she is in the New Testament.

Wait until you die, meet the guy then itl be easier to accept him, its how i got it all planned out.

> Am I doomed?
No.
What makes you think Christianity is any more correct than any of the other thousands of religions in existence?

How could something metaphysical create the Physical Realm

"and" and "win" dont rhyme.

Is there any reason it couldn't? The laws of nature only exist within the universe, theoretically whatever is outside the universe, including whatever caused the universe to be created, wouldn't necessarily follow any of the natural laws we can observe within the universe.