Why are you all against nihilism?

Why are you all against nihilism?

Because I choose to be.

They conflate it with "atheism" and thus they are religiously obligated to oppose it.

Trend, of course.

Why are people against meaninglessness in their lives?

How depressed are you, exactly?

>it's a "&humanities" episode

Because nihilism is going to be the death of European civilization.

>inb4 C.S Lewis.jpg

Decent defense mechanism for getting through tough times, but not a healthy way to operate throughout life in general

>there are people in this world who believe that neechee wqasn't a nihilist

Nothing stopping you from creating meaning. It's just that ANY suggestion or hint you don't believe in some objective purpose or objective truth in life is met with 'LOL WHY DON'T U JUST KILL URSELF NIHILISM IS SELF-DEFEATING BRO SOME THINGS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS MAN WHY AREN'T YOU RAPING PEOPLE THEN LOL'

But... he wasn't? He believed that while life has no ultimate meaning, that gives us the opportunity to create our own proximate ones.

I know this is a bit of a strawman, but it's partially accurate when arguing with evangelical proddies. Basically, anything not "from God" is from man, and man is evil, so by extension any idea coming from man can only be evil, and he can only do good using God's "objective" values.

im not, thats my excuse for being a hedonist

this if you have no rational purpose you still have a purpose biologically programmed into you

He wasn't, and he acknowledged that nihilists are a cancer to society.

I'm not.

Eb. in.

He was a nihilist in the sense that he didn't believe in absolute meaning.

life free, do what you want! everything is ok. dont listen to other people when they say you have to achieve something. why? in the end it doesnt even matter. so instead of achieving something be free and live your life. the best thing i guess would be living from welfare

*live

He wasn't, half his works rail against nihilism. He described it as a stage of mental and spiritual immaturity. A point of upward development to be overcome, not a state to live in, if one can grow beyond it.

Because nihilsm leads to destruction of family,morals,individual,in summary:

Of the civilization.

For me nihilism is the default. It's stating the obvious. But you don't just stop there. There's no objective meaning, so you have to come up with meaning yourself.

Why support an unsubstantiated hypothesis?

People dislike meaninglessness, which is why they invented religion.

Those are all spooks though.

None of those things are important

Someone refusing to make their own meaning in life when they believe there's no ultimate meaning is what separates the useless retards from the hardworking people in society, The Amazing Bananatheists from Bill Gates.

So what's your meaning in life?

Shitposting on Indonesian soap carving forums apparently.

If you truly believed in nihilism you wouldn't ask anyone for their input or share your opinion, as nihilism is a personal experience.

However, human beings are social for nature. So nihilism self-defeats itself at least 3 times already. It's a shit philosophy.

masturbating

>hardworking people in society
:^)

By what measure? All nihilism is is just the belief that life has no inherent meaning. That doesn't make everything pointless. People do shit that doesn't mean anything all the damn time, yet they're 'le productive members of society'

>you need to be the embodiment of your philosophy if you believe in it

Any meaning you create is meaningless.

Not to yourself. Objective meaning is an oxymoron. Do you think rocks have a preference for how you should act?

Yes. I unironically do.

Look at you, thinking you're better than a rock, when nothing matters.

Hypocrite much?

>by what measure
By a logical and rational measure, I'm not nihilist so I know that logic and reason are an objective standard

You don't need to be but don't be a fucking hypocrite. Most of the "nihilist" I've met wanted to spread their misery around everyone they met.

I find myself to be better than a rock and that is all that matters to me.

>By a logical and rational measure
hurrrrrr not an argument.

Okay, and? Sisyphus is happy and all that.

>You don't need to be but don't be a fucking hypocrite. Most of the "nihilist" I've met wanted to spread their misery around everyone they met.
So fucking what? I repeat, you do NOT have to be an embodiment of your beliefs or philosophy and you look like a retard when you assume so. Why the fuck wouldn't or shouldn't a nihilist spread misery around? Even if it somehow violated the concept of nothing mattering, why would you have to live according to your philosophy?

Then you violate your own nihilism.

Congrats on being such an enormous hypocrite that you couldn't even live up to "nothing matters".

Why shouldn't hypocrisy be called out?

Nothing matters so why the fuck would it matter if I "violate" a meaningless philosophy? Are you fucking retarded?
Of course you are.

Why should it? What's wrong with hypocrisy?

>hardworking people in society
Fuck off, pleb.

Me violating my own nihilism doesn't matter.

Youre retarded.
No, seriously. Go read a fucking book. Gtfo.

Can we all at least agree that anti-natalists are worse than nihilists?

I only have so many years to live and I get more out of it in terms of brain chemicals and such diving deep into the delusion of things like the greater good and morality. Life is better this way, and that's all that matters.

So you have no counter-argument? Just proving me correct here, mate. You are retarded.

I'm not. I argue for a "conventional" "straight-up" (teenage) flavor of nihilism all the time, but it is true that almost everyone else rejects such a view. Common rebuttals are a sort of existential "well it doesn't matter anyway so why not live pleasantly lmao" or something along those lines which usually misses the point of what I'd said.

I think that this is for a couple of reasons. First, nihilism is pretty anti-human, so it makes sense that people would naturally be repulsed by it. Second, nihilism is a /dumb-simple/ view. It is /SO/ dumb-simple, that it is /boring/ to the average person, and especially to smart types. This /boring/ characteristic of nihilism is then conflated by smart and/or religious people, who are accustomed to making arguments with at least a little bit of elaboration involved, with nihilism being somehow /wrong/, which is what leads to the (false) /intellectual/ rejection of it, in addition to the /instinctive/ animal rejection of the view. The mind has to entertain itself, busy itself in some way.

My response to all of this is that it's more important whether a view be the Case, than whether it's "pleasingly complex, to a point", or whatever. The careful reader will note that I'm invoking a VALUE-JUDGMENT here, as above, thus assigning value to something (truth), thus undermining my own professed nihilism. I believe I can work this out satisfactorily by distinguishing between "provisional" value, which is part of the daily routine of life (avoid pain, truth is good, try to live as pleasantly as possible, it would be better to have money than not, etc), and "absolute" (intrinsic) value (the universe is a cold dark uncaring void of rocks and stuff, there is no god or if there is then he's an asshole so you're screwed both ways, and so on), but I haven't cared to do it. Also I bet that someone else worked it out already, but I haven't cared to check much.

Not that any of this matters in the long view, of course.

That posting style.

No wonder you hate God so much.

>nothing matters so I can do whatever I want
>why can you do whatever you want if nothing matters and no one should be able to call you out in your hipocrisy?

>huuuuuuuurrrr, nothing you say matters XDDD

come back here when you get out of your 15 year old-tier ideology

>Counter-argument
Your babbling is not an argument to be countered. Get out, autist.

So it spook you, basically.

Literally no arguments. How the fuck do you people manage to be so juvenile and ridiculous, yet so confident in yourselves? Are you teenagers? Do you just have an incredibly weak command of English and can't understand the words you're reading?
Are you simply stupid?

and me calling you out on your hipocrisy doesn't matter either (according to you, at least)

See? Instead of getting a satisfying answer all nihilism leads to is to repeat the same nonsense ad nauseum.

Early Christians understood that answering every question with "God" did it, although technically correct, was intellectually lazy. And so they built the foundations of theology. Meanwhile you're here thinking you've discovered something revolutionary while you're only spouting what has gone through every edgy teenager mind for millenia.

>I called him a teenager
>Surely my victory is now secure

>literally no arguments
"nothing matters lel, I can do whatever I want" is not a fucking argument, kiddo. Why the fuck would I use an argument against your non-argument? What would be the point?

see? You don't even adress the meat of the post. How nihilism is the path of the intellectually lazy

Holy shit, this guy here admits it too.

I asked a question and you replied with your bullshit. If you didn't want a discussion, why did you reply to me in the first place? Are you just illogically rambling whatever comes to your mind?

>Meanwhile you're here thinking you've discovered something revolutionary while you're only spouting what has gone through every edgy teenager mind for millenia.
Meanwhile you're strawmanning ludicrously and possibly projecting. What kind of retard would think there's something revolutionary in nihilism?

Nihilism is the philosophy that, if embraced by the masses, could lead humanity to its downfall.

>I asked you a question
But the question doesn't matter :^)

>le strawman
BUT PHILOSOPHY AND LOGIC DON'T MATTER NIHILISM TRIUMPHS EVERYTHING!! XDDD

>the path of the intellectually lazy
>isn't widespread among the masses
pick one

Ie. you have no arguments, no capability to create arguments and you are the intellectual equivalent of a turd.

Yeah, that's it. Just avoid thinking, don't even try to think about it or form arguments, just le meme it away XD.
I'll say it just once more. You are retarded.

>isn't widespread among the masses
masses don't care about philosophy. Out of the (what, 10% of the population that care?) ones that care, nihilism is the most popular choice by teenagers. Why do you think that Nietzsche is so fucking popular between atheists and teenagers and so badly understood?

>>I called him a teenager
>>Surely my victory is now secure

I didn't call you a teenager but nice projection.

Meaningless for the universe and other people maybe but you perceive your own world that's built on your thoughts. Nature can't answer all your questions. You're better of answering this on your own since you're a part of nature anyway

Not all of us think we're animals.

Not all of us live like animals.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Ad hominem

>le philosophy doesn't matter but I will still use philosophy to say your argument's don't matter

Fucking lovely. Also it can't be a fallacy since he wasn't engaging in debate - there's nothing to be engaged into. The nihilist fuck just repeated the same nonsense ad nauseum.

Because people who go out of their way to say they are nihilists are just edgelords that don't really understand nihilism.

If you are a nihilist you need to study math.

Why does it matter that you're a hardworker or a useless retard?

It has no inherent value. :^)

I am all for people sticking too morals it just makes it easier for me to enjoy this shitty place imagine playing pool with people who cares about fair play vs a room full of cheaters either way it does not matter as everyone in the room will eventually due and the memories of them will slip into mom existence

Nothing does

* non existence

This thread, this site , this civilization will eventually die and so will all remnants

There's no point to it.

Because nihilism is false.

Life is beautiful.
Life has a purpose.
God exists.

Your edgy atheist feelings won't change that.

Even if God was real what's so good about that? We would presumably go to an eternal party but have you tried eating pizza every day it faces from being " FUCK YEAH PIZZA " into just " pizza "

* fades

I guess Lewisposting is a thing now? Memes for a meme religion, I guess.

*tips fedora*

so what? People find enjoyment on the most stupid shit at this place.

Eventually people in heaven will find something to do, even if it is making a hole and then filling it for all of eternity. Or maybe God finds a way to make it so we don't get bored.

If God is infinite and omnipotent, that means we will always discover something new. The problem is that our finite human mind cannot easily comprehend eternity, infinity and anything like that.

Also it can't be a fallacy since he wasn't engaging in debate -
Can you think of an instance where a fallacy is not necessarily part of a debate? How about a contradiction? Can you think of an example of a fallacy that is not engaged in debate? How about a circular argument? Is that not a contradiction, or a fallacy?

-Socrates

I have no reason to believe in a God when any argument for anything is filled with contradictions the only one I can think of that doesn't invalidate itself is that everything will eventually end and that none of it will have made a difference

Because it's factually wrong.

>I have no reason to believe in a God when any argument for anything is filled with contradictions the only one I can think of that doesn't invalidate itself is that everything will eventually end and that none of it will have made a difference

You don't know that. If the "infinite multiverse" theory is right, that means that the creation and destruction of multiple universes is unending.

So your philosophy is just edgy baby-tier nihilism.

Then what is the grand nihilism your talking about the multiple universes would just lower our individual chance of influencing something

Stop moving the goalposts. First you say that "Le only truth is that everything will eventually end" and when science contradicts your baby-tier assertion with the infinite multiverse theory, you magically change your belief to "none of what we do matters then".

Like holy shit, kill yourself if nothing makes a difference.

No goalposts were moved the concept is the same if this whole planet was swallowed right now by a black whole nothing we've ever done will have mattered but if it continues that also doesn't matter

There is no meaning to living free.

goalposts were indeed moved. You argued that since everything ends nothing matters. Then when it was demonstrated that there are multiple things that don't end you still go "dur hurr nothing matters still".

Your pessimistic outlook on life is set in stone. You already rationalized it, nobody will get you out of it. It's not logical, you're just a poor sad fuck.

Nothing will go on though

so you know more than science? You say that nothing will go on; yet by the multiverse theory, countless universes are collapsing and being born right now.

That goes on, or not?