Historically speaking...

Historically speaking, how much governmental authority was imposed on people in their daily lives prior to the twentieth century? Is constant governmental regulation and oversight of people and their activities a relatively new phenomenon? Are people today more controlled than they were ~300 years ago, for example?

no you idiot
if you were a serf, your judge would be your landlord
go figure what kinda justice would a slaveowner deliver for a slave

you now have rights not just responsibilities

jesus crist why are americans so fucking stupid especially the youth
ahhhhhhh

Not every society was feudal Europe.

you could literally just go to a new lord if you were being mistreated it's not like they would care or could do anything or had anyway of identifying you, also rights are just laws sheepman

So even back then, anonymity = freedom?

no you couldnt
dumbfuckistani

you could appeal to your king if it moved his ass from the capital but thats it

yea you could move, lot like feudal lords knew eachother
they escaped to free towns, under the juridiction of the king

we wuz kangz and shit

>being a serf
>bad

Read Foucault, op.

That's kind of general, user. What specific works?

Damn, this image really convinced me. Where do I sign up for serfdom?

>le gmo is bad meme

High fructose corn syrup has been disastrous for the human race, not sure how you can disagree with that.

I can't refute this desu.

I keep hearing that building regulations have hobbled architectural freedom.

So how did architecture and construction in olden times, let's say pre-Industrial Revolution?

Except isn't that a criticism of serfdom? Hayek isn't trying to praise it.

>retards equating too much freedom in the modern world with not enough

t. Monsanto

I'd move to a farm honesty. Fuck a peasant girl in the wheat fields. Seems OK.

>high fructose corn syrup's wide-ranging overuse
>dem evil GMOs are to blame!

Shit's got nothing to do with GMOs other than the fact it became easier to make. Gonna cry about citric acid next?

Thanks for not refuting my point.

Perhaps if you had a point, there'd be something to refute

Technologies of control were more primitive, therefore government intrusion on people's lives was more difficult.

>yenta

Wtf am i reading?

And i know what it means

Yiddish

Thats my point. Is it not strange to throw a Yiddish word in that image? Am I missing something?

>2449645
>Thats my point. Is it not strange to throw a Yiddish word in that image? Am I missing something?

How new are you?

yep, most immigrants came from europe to the americas without passports or ID papers

You know, I assume some level of dressing up urban office workers' lives to be the most dreadful thing ever, but really, how bad is it? I always lived and worked in rural areas since the thought of an assembly line factory or a 6x6 cubicle really unnerves me, but is truth, what is the day like?

When I've got to work in the office down here, we're just given a list of things to do and no one cares what happens between 8:00 and 5:00, so long as your list of stuff is completed every week.

You didn't actually make a point about GMO's dumbass

I would argue professionalism, standardized materials, and urban renting houses hobbles architectural freedom.
But its not obvious to the layman why, and each of those do actually improve it a little as well.
-Professionalism basically kills the imagination of the professional. It also leads to a lot of standards, I.E Brutalist cube houses.
Without a Architect, you would go for the next best thing for mega projects: Some overeducated nobleman, or a engineer/sapper. Or just wing it, but try to plan it properly

-Standardized materials is really nice, because it allows for things like entry level buildings to be mouse resistant(cement base). It also allows for things like Isolation to be really cheap(glass wool, metal foil).
The downside is that you get a minimum price to setup a shed, versus just flattening and burning some land, and try to setup support structures for wood

If you had to regularly build or maintain shit, you are going to quickly realize that right angles is good, and looks neat. So that solves itself in like the first part of the structure a person build.
The same is true for impregnation of materials(i.e tar, paint, etc). Partially for artistic reasons, but even more so that rotting wood isn't nice.
So the amateur builder, isn't bad at it. But he might not think about things like piping, drainage. Or might not live in era where its possible to make mouse resistant houses.
There is also the fact that if you build houses/shelters/sheds/farms/fences, those are things that is built a lot. So the amateur builder, or builders, have a lot of experience.
A common example is that you can't really put a wooden pole directly into the ground, without a rock base and good impregnation. Otherwise it rots really fast
Which in a high population density society, nothing is stopping you from bribing somebody older/experiened with cookies or food, to get them to help somebody else that aren't as experienced.

Office work in the US, depending on your position and the company you work for, really isn't all that much actual work, aside from physically being there for a set schedule.

Now retail work (dealing with customers as a cashier for 8 hours a day, etc.) that seems like the biggest hell to me.

It is, and desu it can stem from how prestige was viewed back then and how once you had it, people were lazy to do anything but keep it in place

There are more dog mayors today than there were in the past.

Nigga, try working as a bartender. Same shit as retail, just that all the costumers during the day is lonely alcoholics and during the night it's drunk kids.

t. gonna quit my job soon.

Lol get out

Wage cucking in retail for 8 bux an hour and making a decent living slinging drinks at drunkards and bullshitting with them all day aren't comparable

they don't even belong in the same ball park

The best shit level work is being a security guard. The worst thing that can happen to you is getting bored to death, unless you're one of those high level securities guarding important shit but those typically require military background.

define gov regulation.
If you mean in the lolbertarian way, no, you had "you can't hunt here", "you can't chop wood here", "you can't use that plot of land", "you need a license for that"(see the boatman scene from a man for all seasons, or the sinners bible), "you need a permit for that", "you pay a fine if you do that", etc.

Monsanto's unethical business practices doesn't mean that GMOs are bad.

It doesn't mean GMOs are good, either.

Not an argument.

>you now have rights not just responsibilities

And yet most people today would rather be slaves, it seems.

I want to move to a dog-run town.