100 years

100 years.
Hundred years.
HUNDRED FUCKING YEARS.

How can a war take this long? Were the English and French so mad at each other?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UQtJpXUSHJs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleading_in_English_Act_1362)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English#Late_Middle_English),
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. It wasn't 100 years of constant warfare.
2. The Plantaganets were 100% right and had the better claim.

>The Plantaganets were 100% right and had the better claim.
It's a shit claim, if women really counted, then Charles of Navarre had the better one.

>The Plantaganets were 100% right

And 100% French
No matter who won, a French king would have been on the French throne

It's basically a case of "you fucked me over, I'll do the same".
Nobility didn't want a "foreign" king so they used a dubious method that was used by the French king years ago to get the duchy of Poitou under royal control - if I'm not mistaken.

English didn't like it, fought about it, to the point where they captured a French king in battle. I'm glossing quickly over what happened.

In any case. Even if it wasn't the nobility, it'd be the peasants: Black plague and all that during this era. Also the fact that some cunty rosbeef prince decided to ravage the french countryside doesn't help much.

Maybe at the start but as the war wore on the English nobility started to shift away from France because of bumhurt.

Swedes must have been butt mad at San Marino to wage war on them for almost 300 years.

>There could've been Anglo-French Plantagenet empire if Charles IV. wouldn't be such a bastard and died few months earlier
Always hits me in the feels

>Swedes
?
Those are mostly french standards

The banrer ensuing from the Anglo-French rivarly has well reimbursed the fact that we never got a God-tier Anglo-French empire.
Would've been too OP anyways. French militarism and English knack in trade and empire-building? Too strong...

Muh longbows
Muh joan of arc

youtube.com/watch?v=UQtJpXUSHJs

Daily reminder that England is a colony of France.

William the Conqueror was French.

>How can a war take this long?
It didn't.

The war lasted 116 years.

not at all during the hundred years. Took a handful of nobles generations after that.

Unlikely to have lasted long either way. The populations were too different, the anglos have been disconnected from the continent for the better part of a millenia, a single king wouldn't have changed that

>be Norman
>Speak Norman
>Realm isn't part of the kingdom of France
>don't speak French
>have distinctly different culture to France
>as my kingdom is conquered by France a few centuries later, I am French

This is like saying Alexander the great is Turkish because the Turks conquered Greece. It's retarded logic.

>historically, best thing a Frenchmen ever did was gtfo of France t6h f4m

Dieu et mon droit.

>How can a war take this long? Were the English and French so mad at each other?

The English and French were basically the same people. Lots of English spoke French or some northern French Dialect such as Norman.

The war was a series of on and off conflicts between dynasties. It's not a war as we imagine it today.

>Speak Norman

Top kek
That's like saying Americans speak Americans

But they fucking do you squires cuckboi

.I know shit about Norman

It's a Germanic dialect from Norse Invaders that mixed with Medieval French, as well as Brittany Celts. They're separate languages entirely.

>be Norman
>Speak French
>Realm is literally a Duchy part of the kingdom of France
>have no distinctly different culture from standard French (unlike the Bretons or the Occitans who actually did)
>as butthurt bongistani are still mad at France a millenium later, I was somehow not French

You're a bunch of ignorant retards
Normans "language" was literalky standard Old French with a few verying words there and there (exactly like what American English is to British English)
Pic related, all the part in blue spoke Old French
It's those in other colors that didn't
There's a reason why Post-1066 English language is full of French words, do you cretins seriously believe the Normans would have forced French on England if they didn't speak it themselves?

>with a few verying words there and there (exactly like what American English is to British English)

Not it wasn't. Norman was a Germanic-Romance language. A huge part of its dialect was Norse. Your image basically classes everything under the sun with french words as 'french'

>Not it wasn't. Norman was a Germanic-Romance language. A huge part of its dialect was Norse.
You're wrong and a faggot
Norman was a dialect of old French, with only a few words having spelling that varied from standard French (werre/guerre, ward/garde, gardin/jardin, faichon/façon...etc) and that's about it
As I said, if they hadn't spoken French, English language wouldn't be so dull of French words

>Your image basically classes everything under the sun with french words as 'french'
Wrong, the proof is that England isnt colored blue

>Lots of English spoke French or some northern French Dialect such as Norman.
Even that long after the Norman invasion?

>You're wrong and a faggot
Don't be a dick. We're having a civil discussion.
>Norman was a dialect of old French, with only a few words having spelling that varied from standard French (werre/guerre, ward/garde, gardin/jardin, faichon/façon...etc) and that's about it
Really? Pic related shows it was a claer mix, unlike american and British English which has only a few dozen different spellings and letter uses. Norman clearly holds enough difference to be considered a different language.
>Wrong, the proof is that England isnt colored blue
England spoke anglo-Norman post conquering, making it a Germanic-Norse-Romance mix. Just like English genes in a lot of ways, a mix of its neighbors.

Normandy had its own independent identity since Rollo.

The thing is that the Normans only ruled England until 1154
After that, it was a French family from Anjou that replaced them and ruled England until 1485
So most French speaking "English" nobles during the HYW would rather speak the Angevin dialect of French rather than the Norman one (not that it made a huge difference though)

Seriously mate, shut the fuck up. It annoys me when people call Normans "French" (they were ethnically and culturally distinct) but it's undeniable that they spoke a dialect of the French language. Having a lot of Germanic loan words doesn't make it not French

>This meme image again

Stay mad mutt.

But that's literally my point. 'English' is not a race. England is a mix of Germans, French and Celts. There's no such thing as a racially english king because English isn't a race.

Furthermore, how long does a family need to live in England and speak English to be considered English? Do you actually consider Elizabeth II a german?

>Norman clearly holds enough difference to be considered a different language.
They really didn't, your pic is probably the entire list of "Nordic" vocabulary they had, and all these spelling look extremely French, although of Nordic origin (which proves that Normans were well integrated and overall French speakers)
Norman dialect was absolutly part of Old French, and was most understandable to the average Parisian of the era than some current French dialects are to most of France

>England spoke anglo-Norman post conquering, making it a Germanic-Norse-Romance mix. Just like English genes in a lot of ways, a mix of its neighbors.
Anglo-Norman is a meme term invented by butthurt British historians to describe the French influence in English language
Also, a large chunk of English's French vocabulary wasn't passed by the Normans (who had a shirt rule), but by the Angevins
Ever wondered why English language has both warranty (Norman spelling) and guarantee (Standard French spelling), warden (Norman spelling) and guardian (Standard French spelling), catch (Norman spelling) and chase (Standard French spelling)...etc

>Normandy had its own independent identity since Rollo.
You got it the wrong way
Normans had their own independent identity under Rollo (aka when they arrived), but they had long lost it by William's era (eight generations of interbreeding with locals later)

There is no French influence in England. English people are about half Germanic and half Celtic

wait didn't England have a bunch of kings that only knew french and never spoke english?

>standards
Actually banners. Standards are pointy

>not at all during the hundred years. Took a handful of nobles generations after that.

That's completely fucking incorrect.

The cultural transition away from French and towards English took place during the 14th and 15th centuries, right in the midst of the 100 years war.

Some good examples of this are the pleading in English act (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleading_in_English_Act_1362) and the establishment of the Chancery Standard (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English#Late_Middle_English), that mark the governmental (and therefor royal and aristocratic) transition to the exclusion of French and the embracing of English.

Henry V, who was responsible for the Chancery Standard (and who won the Battle of Agincourt) was particularly noted for his use of English in both personal and official documents. Following his reign, this became the norm for English monarchs and (obviously) the nobility followed suit.

There was a small elite that came over from France, the Normans, but they were ethnically Scandinavian (hence the name, Norman = north man) and didn't have much influence on the general population anyway

>but they were ethnically Scandinavian
One eighth Scandi, pure germanic dukes.

Yes, every king from William I to Edward III (you can see the whole list here )
But I think the dude you replied too meant that the French invasion didn't influence England's genetic make up (which is mostly true)

>Were the English and French so mad
Yes, they were mad.

Fucking frogposters again with their venomous Frankish propaganda
How about you kill yourself you fucking frog eating poof

Does William the Conquerer annoy you then? He refers to the Normans as French in his charter for London.

Stop crying and accept the fact you were the first French colony.