How did the Renaissance humanists reconcile their admiration of the pagan Greeks and Romans with their own Christianity?

How did the Renaissance humanists reconcile their admiration of the pagan Greeks and Romans with their own Christianity?

Do Christians really think that Plato went to hell? How, then, can Christian Neoplatonism be a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-pope-limbo-idUSL2028721620070420
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because its possible to think someone is right about some things but not other things.

Or at least, it used to be possible to do so, back before everyone was a fucking idiot.

>How did the Renaissance humanists reconcile their admiration of the pagan Greeks and Romans with their own Christianity?

By puting everything that wasn't compatible with Hellenism into the garbage

>Do Christians really think that Plato went to hell? How, then, can Christian Neoplatonism be a thing?

He was not born at the time of Christ, thus he is in Hell or in Purgatory

I don't know what neoplatonism is but I've heard christians describe it as magic bs.

It has been said multiple times that virtous people born before the time of Jesus were still saved by him.

So yeah, I think Plato is in heaven or will be in the new Heaven.

>How did the Renaissance humanists reconcile their admiration of the pagan Greeks and Romans with their own Christianity?

m8 christians liked plato and the boys long before the renaissance

>Do Christians really think that Plato went to hell?

It really isn't for Christians to say who is and isn't in hell.

How, then, can Christian Neoplatonism be a thing?

Just because it was produced by non-Christians doesn't mean it's automatically bad. Plenty of pagan, Jewish, and Muslim philosophers have been admired by Christians.

Hellenophiles are idiots, not Christians.

>plato
>virtuous
sorry m8

By the Catholic doctrine, Plato was in Purgatory (Limbo), as all the virtuous ignorant of Christ are.

The Pope closed Linbo in 2007 and moved them all to Heaven.

reuters.com/article/us-pope-limbo-idUSL2028721620070420

If you're into that sorta thing.

Please tell me, in the diff of Hell and or Purgatory? Not in the classical Catholic sence but the diffenation none the less. Some say that you can be prayed out of Purgatory, but there is a second judgement for they who are in hell. After Christ and HE died on a cross and placed in a borrowed tomb, arrose on the third day. For ALL! sins to be forgiven.If you die in CHRIST where do you go before the Great White thrown judgement, or you die a sinner and die and where does your soul go? Help please answer. And Ill stay till I get some answer. Sorry for the spelling, huked no ponix werkad fer mee.

I'm kinda amazed how little press this got and how few people remember it.

It seems when they moved Galileo from hell to heaven in 1992 it caused a much bigger ruckus.

Kinda makes me think these folks don't really take the whole Catholic precept of the papal divine word very seriously - though they sure show up in droves when he goes on tour.

But at least aborted babies aren't winding up in Limbo anymore, not to mention guys like Aristotle who much of the Catholic culture formed up around.

Humanism and the reverence of the ancients aren't at odds with Christianity.

>Purgatory
>Not in the Catholic sense
That's like asking about Olympus, but not in the Greco-Roman sense.

Purgatory is supposed to be temporary, how temporary depending on the depth of the sin - yeah you can be prayed out of it, or lifted out of it. Limbo was supposed to be the top layer, where unbaptized babies and various pre-Christian philosophers and the virtuous waited in perpetual sadness to be uplifted by God. It was supposed to be lifted up during the end times.

If the Creator had made a Limbo or Paradice, either before Hell or Heaven, only GOD could do away with it, Not the POPE, or council. Still cannnot be prayed out of Hell! Needing an answer on the difference

Shit was cool brah...shit was cool.

They absolutely are.

Once you are dead, placed in the Greek word for grave which is (HELL), if your soul is sent to hell it will be judged and sent back for a full time heaping of enternal damnation. Now if you die in Christ the dead will be called first to meet the previous SAINTS in the air with JESUS, then the walking around will be called next.

Why?

How can a religion banish some of the brightest, virtuous, and most pious people to hell just because they were born too early?

Purgatory is a Catholic concept. If you accept that concept, then you may as well accept the Pope's word is the word of God, as Catholics do. Thus if he says Limbo is closed, it's closed. It doesn't exist in Eastern Orthodoxy.

I suppose for the remaining ~10% of self-proclaimed Christians in the world, there's some among the protestant religions that have various models of purgatory. Most deny it outright. Lutheranism varies with branch - some hold closer to your unique point of view, that folks can't be prayed out of station, but they are murky about who is and isn't there when it comes to pre-Christians. Methodists don't buy it at all, nor to Baptists. Unitarians don't believe in any form of hell. I guess that just leaves the Mormons, which have a kinda three level version, the top two levels of which can have their station moved by the efforts of the living.

I can't think of any Christian religion that acknowledges that the Geek hell ever actually existed.

My Father own's cattle on a thousand hills. His rod and staff both comfort me, I shall lie down between still waters, and praise HIS HOLY name for eternety. And if the Pope is in HEAVEN his robe of white will just like mine! and YOURS.

I was under the impression that Christ liberated all the people stuck in Limbo when He harrowed Hell on Good Friday. No?

It is not the religion, that has any sway for your taking of refusing GOD, the FATHER, THE SON, or the HOLY SPIRIT or ghost. That is whast is each of mankind heart. Satan is waiting, JESUS is waiting and calling. Please make your choices wisely!

So the people before Christianity should have known and accepted Christian ideals?

so if i sin every day, and on my death bed ask the POPE to bless me and tells me i am forgiven for all my sins, is this true? does the POPE have the power of God and angels, Devil and demons?

Also worth mentioning that Judaism has Gehenna which serves the same purpose (generally a year of torment for sinners). Islam has a neutral "good, but not good enough" Purgatory plane that people get stuck on for awhile as well.

This is kinda non-canonical in most Christian religions. Among the Catholics it's not that he freed them, but preached among them, to give them hope of future salvation in the end times.

Eastern Orthodoxy is a bit more serious about it. It doesn't involve a trip to Purgatory (they don't have it), but straight to Hell, and he extracted Adam and Eve from there.

Lutheranism acknowledges as trip to hell, but claims that Jesus simply defeated the devil and demons, and that's it. Some of the more elaborate tales of The Harrowing of Hell involve Jesus just beating the crap out of everyone and rearranging the entire power structure down there as a result.

A few have Jesus suffering in hell for a time (Calvinists). And the Mormon's actually have him going down there and not only sorting everyone out, but redefining the planes. Apparently, this process continues to this day, thus baptisms for the dead being a thing among them.

I'm not sure if you responded to the right person. My post discussed an event that allegedly happened two thousand years ago to the inhabitants of Limbo, not something that might happen to somebody on Earth right now in the future. If you are alive right now I am relatively confident that you will probably die at some point in the future, and not at some point more than two thousand years in the past, so my post really has nothing at all to do with what you're talking about. I didn't even mention the Pope.

As for your actual question: my understanding of Catholic dogma is enough for me to confidently claim that nobody believes what you're claiming in the slightest. I have no idea where you got that idea from.

The Catholic idea is that the Pope is the mouthpiece of God on Earth, so technically, yes, but it's not really supposed to be his decision, so much as the divine working through him. Take that as you will.

The idea for Limbo was that were a lot people unknowingly following the doctrines of Christ. Virtuous folk, ignorant of God. This gives them an out. Plus all those unbaptised babies became a problem.

--Before Christ, they were under the books of the Law, written in the wilderness, between Egypt and Cannan. Greeks and Most Romans and Egyptians was a multi gods system ( ROCK gods) Dagon fell on it's hands before the ARC OF THE COVANANT, second time it broke into pieces. Every living thing has always looked to the heavens and wondered. Just like the Nasca Lines that only can be seen from the air. Something higher up they are looking too.

Yes we all can have a great conversation. Good night all. May HIS blessings go to each of us all, and have a great weekend.

>No one comes to the Father except through me.
Fundamentalism, that's how... As we've been discussing, some try to work around this flaw with concepts such as Limbo. I'm suppose they could have used some other mechanism in the trinity for that function, or simply say that Jesus also exists outside time and thus has always been offering salvation to the worthy (though I suppose that latter idea involves some rather modern concepts as to the nature of time). In the end, it eats at the religion's authority, if anyone who lives a good life can be saved, regardless of whether or not they swear allegiance to it. So that was that.

Humanism puts humans before God, reverence for ancients is almost always idolatry.

muh boifuckers

Jesus preaching in Hades in Scripture:
1 Peter 3:18-20
1 Peter 4:6
Philippians 2:9-10

>Do Christians really think that Plato went to hell?
What's important is not what Christians think, what's important is what God thinks.

>can Christian Neoplatonism be a thing?
It has nothing to do with Plato being saved.

They depicted pagan gods as naked. They would never depict the Virgin Mary, Jesus or God as naked.

This thread:
>christians arguing about limbo
>christians arguing about hell
>hellenophiles being hellenophiles as usual
>"no, u"
haha

Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, (1 Corinthians 11:14)