Was Patton really an incarnate of great generals and warriors in the past?

Was Patton really an incarnate of great generals and warriors in the past?

He claimed he was one of Napoleon's marshals, was a Carthaginian soldier, was said to be a general of Hannibal's and even a Roman Soldier.

Could this have been true or was Patton just a "great" general but fucking insane?

He was very much insane

They even look the same

>loud mouthed overrated asshole reincarnates as loud mouthed overrated asshole
gee

>overrated
user

He was.

I love Brooke's comment on him.

"I had heard of him, but I must confess that his swashbuckling personality exceeded my expectation. I did not form any high opinion of him, nor had I any reason to alter this view at any later date. A dashing, courageous, wild and unbalanced leader, good for operations requiring thrust and push but at a loss in any operation requiring skill and judgment."

Japs should be nuked, patton was not a field marshall

>great general and warrior is reincarnated as a draft dodger
hmm

Patton was a fucking meme general who couldn't drive straight.

I didn't want Patton to be in charge of the allied forces in WW2 like Eisenhower, as he would have us fighting France somehow, but given an army, he did well.

I read a very dry biography of Patton. Am I supposed to hate him? He seems like exactly who you'd want to lead an army, but not the overall military.

Exactly

So what's wrong?

He did what he was meant to do and he did it well. He died in unfortunate circumstances though. He was a man of his time and place.

I am agreeing with you, which is why I said this Also we should have went to war with the commies

Has he ever done anything impressive besides fighting some hitler youth at the end of the war?

Improvised and improved Tank warfare. War hero, both wars.

His god-tier logistics at the Battle of the Bulge also stands out

Because situations that require thrust and push dont actually require any skill or judgement.

>Battle of the BulgeF
You dont need to be an incarnation of a napoleonic marshals or Hannibal to fight a couple of kids four month before the end of the war.

logistics, not the actual fighting

Besides, defense is much easier than offense in those circumstances. Those kraut pricks weren't just canon fodder.

>fight a couple of kids
Is this bait?

And because of that """"""art""""""

Hitlerjugend

Not an argument

He was exactly ass overrated. Patton isn't even in the top ten best generals of the war.

who is your top 10 as a matter of interest?

Brooke who

Not him, and in no particular order among generals who commanded more than one corps at a time, I'd put the following above Patton:

Eisenhower, Bradley, Devers, Zhukov, Rokossovsky (sp?) Koniev, Vattutin, Monty, Alexander, Cerar, Slim, Yamashita, Manstein, Guderian, Rundstedt, Model, Kesselring.

That's 17 guys right there, any of whom, IMO, are clearly better than Patton.

>Bradley

Dismissed.

>Not Bradley

Dismissed

I'm half surprised you didn't write in MacArthur

> no Rommel

Rommel is probably even more of a meme general than Patton.

>two words and epic anime
wow sure convinced me

Thank you
Eisenhower was a Bureaucrat at that point. While his job was important, he could barely be called a general

90% of modern generalship is paperwork, ensuring that the supplies and men and whatever else is at where it's supposed to be when it needs to be there.

Sure, Eisenhower was even further removed from the field than pretty much everyone else I've listed, but honestly, all generals in WW2 were to some degree bureaucrats. Take vaguer directives from up above, and try to craft strategy/operations/tactics out of that and whatever material you have to work with, and hope for the best.

He was a field marshall, he commanded the generals

>Fought Romans as a Carthaginian
Boy I bet that turned out well for him

Is this a fucking bait?
brittons still shit their pants whenever they read the name "Rommel"

MacArthur is almost as overrated as Patton. Almost.

No, it's not fucking bait. Rommel was a mediocre at best general who got shilled by both the German and British governments as some kind of invincible god of war until the reality was almost unrecognizeable.

Meanwhile, in reality, he made a dog's dinner of the North African campaign by ignoring his orders and any strategic notion of what the fuck the campaign was about, wasting lots of men and supplies on impossible offensives to try to take Egypt, because lol at playing second fiddle to anyone else. Then he got assigned to Greece for a while, and did nothing, before being transferred to northern France, where he recommended an invasion defense plan that had already been demonstrated to not work.

He was dashing and charismatic, but he was an almost living embodiment of the peter principle; just because someone is a great infantry captain doesn't mean he's a good general, let alone a good theater commander.

His own men would have shit their pants harder since called him "The Butcher" for constant pointless attacks

>try to craft strategy/operations/tactics
There's my problem. While he did "plan" d-day, he was mostly bossing everyone else around and playing diplomat.

Holy newfag Batman

>Holy newfag Batman
Gross

>>Could this have been true
Yup, and now he currently US Secretary of Defence.

t. woman

>Was Patton really an incarnate of great generals and warriors in the past?
No because he would have had more respect for his soldiers if that was the case
The only thing I can take from this is panic

Because George S."lap them" Patton is now in charge of nukes

t. CrashCourse History

Underages out!

Patton was a functioning autist.

he didnt even plan D-Day, operational planning and command until well after the breakout was montys job.

eisenhower was 'supreme commander' which was almost entirely beauracratic in its nature

4 star general who fought in 2 wars is reincarnated as a pow-insulting draft-dodger who "always wanted a purple heart"

drumpf fans actually believe this

>government genocides millions of innocent people

>he was just doing what he was told to do!! he was a true professional and did what he swore to do!!

Patton was General /x/.

He's 'our guy'!

>Through the travail of ages,
>midst the pomp and toils of war,
>have I fought and strove and perished,
>countless times among the stars.
>As if through a glass and darkly,
>the age old strife I see,
>when I fought in many guises and many names,
>but always me.

- General George S. Patton

Not a warrior. Never fought. Not Patton.

Don't forget how he volunteered to command hitler's bodyguard every chance he got and shot propaganda films for the regime.

Great poem desu

Yes he was great and it's well documented tht he was a looney.

Reincarnation we can never know to be true.

>Patton was the reincarnation of Ney

Wtf I love Patton now

>well documented tht he was a looney.

Well it's not like he was tested or anything, it's just how you see his actions.

>mfw /pol/ thinks a draft dodger is the reincarnation of a madman general
The Society of Spectate is truly here

After he was assassinated in the hospital by his own government, Patton probably wouldn't be too keen on serving them again in his next incarnation.

Yes, that's what I intended to convey but I was sure that what I meant was implied enough for everyone to understand.