Bronze age and early antiquity seems, if reenactors and osprey-like illustrations are to be believed...

Bronze age and early antiquity seems, if reenactors and osprey-like illustrations are to be believed, really gawdy and often times of plain bad taste.

Are there any evidence aside from modern fat people playing dress-up to support this?

Also, if there are, how come they had such a shitty sense of aesthetics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hmHXBXG7Loo
youtu.be/XNNePv5Hu5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

few records survive, there is not much to go on

Minoans were quite aesthetic, and not just because of tits.

maybe there wasnt this cross of aesthetics/military design yet? we need an actual art scholar here, its a difficult question.

Its not that its gaudy, its that is often not contrasted by the accessory.
Look at the picture
sleeves or shoulders isn't embroided
Helmet is cheaply done, with little to no shape
Cuirass isn't form fitted, so its too short
Shield doesn't have a emblem or a pattern
No bracers or shinguards anywhere
No extra layers of cloth improve protection against arrows.

Bonus point: What we do have surviving, is either cermonial armor, cavalry leader armor, or painting of oversized expensive suits.

Bonus point 2: What we do have, is often been repainted, but not by artists. Sure, the color might be similar, but not the layers of color, of combination to create contrast blends

Fun fact: The original is literally only the feet, you can actually see in that pic where there are actual remains of 3500 years old frescoe and where modern people painted the rest.

Minoan frescoes that you see on the internet are pretty much all modern reproductions

Compared to what we got for Gauls, early Saxons, Germans or Nordics, there is a lot to go on.
Even more so because there is surviving statues.

Now, as Visby has shown us: We know that what is depicted is only the more ornamental armor, or their contemporary armor to depict a earlier period.
But we can still guess based on all those factors, plus armor in later periods.

we have no statues from bronze age greece

>really gawdy and often times of plain bad taste
You take that back, the bronze age is awesome

Damn straight

TFW you'll never go into battle with a bush as a hat.

The Bronze Age was the transition from tribalist styles to the more formalized fashions that would prevail in the world up to today.

What you posted isn't bronze age

>Not loving bronze-age aesthetic
Man, your tastes suck.

It can look gawdy, but that was space age for the time. NOTHING had ever worked metal like we had. It was the most advanced and powerful force humanity had in its hands since they learned to control fire. Chariots were no joke either. You could blitzkrieg with them and a massed infantry charge... until your enemy tries to do the same. Then you end up with what happened at Qadesh

Are those all part of the same series? There are other ones I can find?

Go play glorantha you fucking bronzeboos

>being this mad

Nice one

I'm mad there is no rpg with focus on late antiquity pham
Bronze is not as unpopular as you think it is (not only in rpg but also in general), late antiquity is the true bastard of history.

Still plenty of lingering influences from and overlaps with the previous age.

these are terrible

who taught this man how to sculpt

I don't know, he died 3000 years ago

>Chariot blitzkrieg
>With tiny bronze age ponies
ay lmao
You could most likely have Mongoled with them, but not Blitzkrieg.

*gasp*

Art from Scandinavia is very similar.

youtu.be/hmHXBXG7Loo
youtu.be/XNNePv5Hu5Y

I wonder what was really going on above the ankles then.

kek that filename

Art is similar.
The outfit isn't .

yeah, the same guy traveled up north to spread more of his terrible sculpture art, I swear

>Bronze age
>Bad taste

Excuse me?

Ve være med allfaderen