What are the differences between modern man and the man of antiquity?

What are the differences between modern man and the man of antiquity?

Other urls found in this thread:

roguehealthandfitness.com/weight-training-causes-muscle-damage-and-inflammation/
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/stemming-tide-of-deevolution.html
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/10/more-on-excellence-of-paleolithic-man.html?zx=3f21a28f7b21dcf7
cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(03)00290-2?_returnURL=http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0960982203002902?showall=true&cc=y=
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2015/04/natty-or-not-not-that-anyone-should.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(ancient_Greece)
sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.timeline.php?timelineID=000017
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

circumcision

The man of antiquity knew what he lived for

Diet.

Penis size.

Diet, medicine, access to information, material wealth, ability to travel, number of people you can connect with, opinions on everything.

Not much. People wanted the same things then as now. Even the people claiming that it was all much better before, and that people back in the day were so much more honest and hardworking and whatnot, they're not new either. They've always been around.

Back then men did not have HIV/AIDS.

I read somewhere that people in general were ridiculously fit. The oarsmen on Athenian galleys exceeded modern day olympic rowers, your average Roman centurion could run 40kms in a day with armour weighing at least 50kg - thats not even including what else he may have with him. Vaguely remember some case in Australia where they took preserved footprints from aboriginals and and a kangaroo, did some maths magic to determine the speed and found out the abos were running faster than Usain Bolt. Maybe its: Your Body on literally Anything but Zogfeed. Maybe and more likely it is lifestyle orientated.
kek

>abos were running faster than Usain Bolt
Aboriginals were/are not the same species. It's like saying we used to be faster because an ancient horse could run four times our speed.

Ancient sprinters were shit. Modern sprinters are better technically than ancient sprinters. Humans are shit sprinters, anyway.
However, ancient endurance 'athletes' or professional long-distance runners (Greek hemerodromoi, for example) were far superior to modern endurance athletes.

Everyone in this thread talks about physical traits, but just how different was the mentality of the antique man?

>Ancient sprinters were shit.
Source? Legit curious.

This is categorically false. Let me tell you, I have trained far harder than any Hellene distance runner ever did and I was still only a mediocre runner in D2 track

How did you train?

Remember, the optimum time between "gym"/"workout' days is usually 3-4 days (steroids being an exception).

Muscles get stronger by being torn apart and recovering with more muscle.

If you go to the gym everyday or even every other day, how are your muscles going to repair yourself without being torn even more?

ancient greeks were pretty fit, as far as we know. dont really know why, but i've read that even the philpsophers were walking instead of sitting down

Plato was a championship wrestler and a writer of prose and lyrics.

I don't know what the fucking jews have been doing for the past century in setting up "nerds" vs "jock" type media.

Probably resentment for not going into the WASP private schools or some unbearably petty bullshit like that.

All i hear from you is, "im a huge pussy."

We shit in toilets and jack off to anime.

There's no evidence of their actual speeds, obviously, because they didn't care about keeping records. However, you can see from images that their technique was awful (more like leaping than running) even though long distance runners were just as efficient as modern runners. Should say, I'm basically talking about the Greeks. But they were the only people who properly did athletics.

>I was still only a mediocre runner in D2 track
Afraid I don't speak American but it sounds like you were a middle distance runner.

Anyway, they didn't need to train hard. It was their life. Running 100k+ in a day was so common as to be considered unworthy of note.

That's 100k+, cross country and over hills etc, because the hemerodromoi refused to run on established roads.

>>Since 1983, it has been an annual footrace from Athens to Sparta, known as the Spartathlon, celebrating Pheidippides's at least semi-historical run across 246 km of Greek countryside.

Course records
Male: 20:25:00, Yiannis Kouros (Greece), 1984
Female: 25:07:12, Katalin Nagy (USA), 2015

You don't accelerate muscle growth by calling other people "huge pussies".

roguehealthandfitness.com/weight-training-causes-muscle-damage-and-inflammation/

Are you lifting weights targeting all parts of your body?

Wrestlers train atleast two times a day and look at them.

Inb4 genetics and not weight lifting

When i first started wrestling i was a weak bitch and my coach had to practice 3 hours everyday monday to friday. And i saw immense improvement.

I injured my shoulder keeping me from wrestling for a season. So, ny dad took me to the gym and had me do legs and just legs monday wednesday and friday.

Each week i increased weight until i got to 315. I was 16 at this time i think. My legs got huge, harder, and stronger.

But now im just a bitch.

yeah but you want the muscle to be dense. if you let it 'heal' completely, you are just wasting time, and not burning calories.

You're right and there's certainly a case that we're left a bit wanting in comparison to our ancestors
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/stemming-tide-of-deevolution.html
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/10/more-on-excellence-of-paleolithic-man.html?zx=3f21a28f7b21dcf7
>Aboriginals were/are not the same species
This makes absolutely zero sense. He's talking about Aboriginals, still homo sapiens, not a different extant hominid species.
>It's like saying we used to be faster because an ancient horse could run four times our speed.
No. It's not.
>Let me tell you, I have trained far harder than any Hellene distance runner ever did and I was still only a mediocre runner in D2 track
There is no way you can come remotely close to accurately determining or proving this

more autistic

>Each week i increased weight until i got to 315. I was 16 at this time i think. My legs got huge, harder, and stronger.

Godamn you need to get back in the game. I couldn't imagine a beefy 315.

And yeah, I try for a brutal target all body parts. I try to concentrate a lot of my energy in countering gravity's effect on the arm movement when going back to starting.

My set right now is high weights, low reps, and improved control. I can do a leg press at 415 but the most brutal part is slowing and controlling the back-to-starting process is.

All in all, this amounts to 3-4 hours at the gym each week. it gives me more excess energy for sure outside the gym.

You should use all ur energy on squats. Leg press is just an accessory.

Around september or october i hit a pr of 405 on squat. But i stopped dling legs until 2 weeks ago and my legs are still sore from doing 285....

>I couldn't imagine a beefy 315

Neither can I.

I imagine he was just fat.

I weighed 205 and 6'2... my weight class was 215...

My dark secret is that I suck at squats and can't lower myself all the way without falling over. Shitty flexability.

Sorry, i should have clarified, i could squat up to 315. I know its not impressive but i was also able to squat 215 20 timesin one set.

>Each week i increased weight until i got to 315.

This is a misleading statement. I am assuming you meant 315 squat?

>WE
>WUZ
>VIKANGZ N SHEEEEET

this guy has some points but the vikang jerkoffery is horrendous

According to Pliny the elder, an 8 year old boy ran ~114km between noon and nightfall.

Also his name was Phlippides, not Pheidippides, just so you know.

you work out different muscle groups on each or every other day user.

I BELIEVE THAT LIFE HAS MEANING

the not I*
i fugged up

>abbobs are the same species!!!
>posts no evidence

classic Veeky Forums

That's the American man you fat autist, Europeans don't do that

What part of homo sapiens being the only extant species of human is so hard for you to look up or understand? I'm not obligated to do your research for you; that it was on you to do in the first place

How come they were so jacked in ancient greece without working out, specific diet and roids? No physical activity in general can give you such athletic body. Did they have gyms back then?

The man of antiquity knew what allowed him to live.
Modern man thinks it comes from the market. Completely detached from reality and in a delusion of progress and growth, unaware that what is growing and progressing is cancer.

Picture related. All these hockey sticks but we only go downhill

Also OP, evolution is still occurring. The Moken people have developed unique underwater vision:
>cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(03)00290-2?_returnURL=http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0960982203002902?showall=true&cc=y= ;
in modern humans some of the fastest changing loci are olfactory receptor genes; and , AIDS immunity is appearing

we're a lot taller

>did they have gyms back then
>word literally comes from Greek

This is weird, i've just read this book, and there is not a single mention of any kind of gyms or daily physycal activities of Greeks that could have helped them maintain such form.

>How come they were so jacked in ancient greece without working out, specific diet
They had those
>and roids?
Here's something interesting about ancient PED's
>Performance enhancing drugs have been used since prehistory. Ancient neanderthal burials all contain ephedra plants, which were used by that species for unknown purposes, though it is considered to be a PED. Given the fact that neanderthals were well known for their slaughter of megafauna, it's not outside of the boundaries of consideration to think they used ephedra as a performance enhancing drug to aid in that pursuit (LoPorto). And it's not just the neanderthals who have used PEDS- the ancient Greeks were well known for using any means they could to gain an advantage on their opponents, and not only was that expected, but it was appreciated, provided they didn't get caught (Bowers). The Roman gladiators doped to get through fights, and nineteenth century French cyclists and lacrosse players used a combination of wine and coca leaves, called "Vin Mariani", aka "wine for athletes," to gain an edge on their competition (Murray).
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2015/04/natty-or-not-not-that-anyone-should.html
>And Culture
Then it held out on and lied to you
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(ancient_Greece)

And bit more on drugs
>sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.timeline.php?timelineID=000017

A book on 'politics, society and culture' that doesn't mention educational establishments (all teaching was done in gymnasia, such as Plato's Academy and Socrates' Lyceum) or one of the primary places for social gatherings? Impressive.

Religious rituals have a tiny bit less predominance on our daily life than before, I would say.