What's the history of schizophrenia?

What's the history of schizophrenia?

Other urls found in this thread:

nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Schizophrenia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_religion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

artistic disease: Van Gogh, Poe, Artaud etc.
maybe Joan of Arc too

Lifetime prevalence of 1% in any population regardless of culture. And no, it's not the same thing as a split personality.

They should humanely removed and sent to the hereafter if they consent.

t. Schizophrenic

a made up "mental illness" targeting people with abilities of gnostic communication in order to prevent them from further influencing society away from sin.

why? schizzies are based.

t. psycho

dude plz they hurt themselves

No. They are subjected to a lot of projection though since average Joe thinks he knows everything about psychiatry.

Not very long ago, I was riding a bus with a guy who as having a full on conversation with an invisible Doc Brown about why he chose a Delorean instead of a Honda Civic for his time machine. Over the past year, I saw a guy who looked somewhat respectable looking go from occasionally muttering about robots to being a homeless raving lunatic who thinks Terminators are real.

Where do those people fit in?

could be anything psychotic. Just because people are mad it doesn't mean they are schizophrenic

Schizophrenia is the most common illness that causes hallucinations and delusions like that. And both of those are two of the main diagnosis criteria for schizophrenia.

is this supposed to be some objective metric of testing against holiness?

>And both of those are two of the accessory symptoms for schizophrenia.
ftfy

yes
they didnĀ“t get the "be wise as snakes" part

>To be diagnosed with schizophrenia, a person must have two or more of the following symptoms occurring persistently in the context of reduced functioning: Delusions, Hallucinations, Disorganized speech, Disorganized or catatonic behavior, Negative symptoms

>Delusions or hallucinations alone can often be enough to lead to a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Schizophrenia

not him but these days diagnosing people with schizophrenia without a brain scan is unscientific and can lead to misdiagnosis.

I've been to certain corners of the Internet where people truly suffering from psychosis congregate, and it is genuinely freaky shit. But through traveling to these places I've garnered insight into not just the illness itself but the machinations of primitive society and its shamanistic roots. Schizos are pretty much the link between reality and the "otherworld".

The one thing I still don't understand though is why the disease is so fucking horrible and debilitating nowadays and why these people have to brand themselves as "targeted".

Good god I have severe OCD and it's become more palpable in recent months. I should really get help before I become one of those guys.

coming from someone who's been in and out of mental wards and on prescriptions in the past, contemporary society is not very good at handling schizophrenics on the personal level. medications are more geared towards subjugation and profit than helping patients, and the illness is viewed and treated as a debilitation and not an alternative way of thinking.

I'm not schizophrenic, this is just what I observed of how the medical world handles schizophrenia and mental illness in general from up close.

>contemporary society is not very good at handling schizophrenics on the personal level
I try to be considerate as possible towards everyone, but some people with schizophrenia are genuinely crazy and ruin everything around them. That's where the stigma arises.

Not entirely true. Brain scans are just used to rule out tumors or brain lesions that may cause schizophrenia like symptoms. There is no brain scan to test for schizophrenia per se.

Med professional incoming, going to keep it brief. There were always accounts of insane people throughout history, aloof, elsewhere, thoroughly distressed. Their treatment has varied greatly, perhaps early on they were wise "spirit talkers" or future tellers. In Islam they say such a persons soul is with Allah and should be treated with respect. In the modern western world they've mostly been treated abysmally bad together with other cognitive disorders like autism - thrown to the wolves, inhumane incarceration, torturous treatment etc.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s we started tackling the problem and invented words like psychosis and schizophrenia. Schizophrenia has been an attempt to clinically delineate a very difficult collection of disorders. It's difficult to establish schizophrenia because symptoms often overlap with other disorders, but it involves three major symptom groups: positive (hallucinations, distortions, paranoia), negative (depression) and cognitive (degradation of mental faculties, planning). It's difficult to treat because diagnosis needs to be early and consistent to ensure a positive prognosis, but the social stigma (nobody wants to be labelled a loon) causes doctors to maintain a high bar for setting the diagnosis (2 out of 3 major groups for 6 months and the causes must not be external), and the behavioral symptoms interfere with the patient's adherence to treatment. There's a high degree of comorbidity, the disorder often "mingles" with other issues. Overall the clinical approach to schizophrenia has been a success due to the dopamine hypothesis - antipsychotics are effective because they inhibit dopamine levels.

I think your information is a little outdated. there has been a lot of progress in the field of neuroscience, especially in the 2010s.

>medical "professional" when much of the field is a pseudoscience
*retches*
>inhibiting gnostic communication
*pukes*

Thank you for the 1:1 excerpt from the DSM.

I'm not a psychiatrist but psychiatric treatreatment - with all its issues - saves lives and should be respected

Antipsychotics are horrible. Very few actually stay on them. There is a growing body of literature that suggests people who stop taking anti psychotics fair better in the long run. Schizophrenics have better long term prognosis in Sub Saharan Africa than they do in industrialized western nations.

>implying saving lies is any kind of objective metric of what should be respected
>implying psychology as a field isn't 100% pseudoscientific
stop zombifying artistic minds, you monster. I'm being dead serious. what you're doing is fucked up. you're a medication salesman. your priority is to prescribe and sell medications, not to help people.

Can confirm. Anti-psychs are what caused my suicide attempts. I got significantly better when I stopped taking any drugs whatsoever.

How did you resolve your issues then? My OCD is reaching borderline delusory territory and I fear meds might be the only way.

not that guy but you're mixing up psychology and psychiatry. Also that's a religious statement you make. Pray it doesn't hit you or your family.

psychiatry is within the field of psychology. and everything within the field of psychology is unscientific and religious. a mix of subjective conclusions derived from subjectively affirmed statistics with subjective parameters.

Fucking with dopamine is a major problem (just look at Parkinson's) and there are no perfect drugs but treatment needs to involve all levels and include robust psychological support, as well as countering side effects. The controversy does not regard antipsychotics as a whole but which types of antipsychotics should be used. There's no denying that it's a difficult disorder to treat and there's plenty to learn

Psychiatry is a medical discipline, psychology is not

OCD wasn't my problem, I was having manic depressive episodes that would escalate into mental hallucination where I would wander out into the woods sometimes even if the weather was dangerous. I was never diagnosed, they just threw meds at me to see what would happen. it was probably just trauma induced severe depression from when my ex fiancee dumped me without ever having sex with me and teasing me about fucking a lot of guys afterwards. I don't know what cured me exactly, but my episodes ceased after a hitchhiking trip around the united states lasting almost a year. I think I just got over it?

add Mohammed and John of Patmos

bump 4 potential

Is John Nash the only successful Schizophrenic academic?

I'll be the second one.

Typical American junk writer

>psychologists
>selling medication

rly made me think

Are schizophrenic hallucinations anything like those from A Beautiful Mind?

hahaha no
you being here only confirms that you will lead a absolutely meaningless existence

One of the most fascinating "studies" on schizophrenic was by the Third Reich. A major component of their racial perfection ideals was to wipe out the mentally deficient, estimates range they sterilized and euthanized between 75-90% of all the people who suffer from schizophrenic in Germany. Now this happened from 1935-1945 and we are only 3 generations removed from this massive cleansing so one would expect, if schizophrenia is a genetic and epigenetic based disease, that Germany would have a much lower percentage of people with schizophrenia than other countries. However, the rate of schizophrenia in Germany today is the same as other European countries. That is very fascinating.

Hmmm...really makes me think.

Good to know the third reich's medical experiments are still proving their utter barbarity and pointlessness to this day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_religion

Yes, actually. My friend's mother had something a lot like that going on with her belief that there were family friends who she was regular contact with when in actual fact they did not exist.

My dumb ass doctor literally tried to kill me the other day wuile i was in office i saw him switch the pills woth cyanidr tabs as he handed emcto me but i saw em so i just cheeked them and sold them on the darknet later

The implications of that are extremely fascinating from a sociobiological perspective.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

spoopy

But what are those imaginary persons based on? Their appearance, their voices? Our mind just can't create it from scratch?

I like to entertain the idea that Phil was onto something.

What the fuck
Psychiatry doesn't know what the fuck it does, it is just a shitty moneygrabber.
Psychology is he one that actually works.

How come Veeky Forums of all boards is this illiterate on psychology. I'd expect it to be on par with Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums, not below /x/.

You're all fucking disgraces.

t. doesn't know what a psycho actually is