What was the best army of all time and Why was it the caroleans?

What was the best army of all time and Why was it the caroleans?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0lx7lOORGZE
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XII's_invasion_of_Poland
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_of_Grodno
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)
sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_händelser_under_stora_nordiska_kriget
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Racławice
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jasna_Góra
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orsha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Klushino
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lubieszów
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trzciana
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khotyn_(1621)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wenden_(1601)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kirchholm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jasna_Góra
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War
quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A49473.0001.001/1:11?rgn=div1;view=fulltext
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were based.

>To interrupt a moment of prayer would as well lead to death penalty. The Carolean soldier was told not to fear, since if God meant him to die, he would die no matter if he dodged the bullets or not. The Carolean offensive tactics needed firm discipline.

>Within the military, priests often participated in battles to raise morale amongst troops.

>Directly after the volley the Swedes charged the enemy ranks with pikes, bayonets and rapiers. Note that the pikes were used as an offensive weapon: in close combat they had the advantage over their foes' weapons thanks to their range, it often happened that complete ranks of enemies ran before physical contact, frightened by the long pikes and the fact that the morale of the battalion could calmly withstand their fire.

Imagine being a ruski fighting with your ruski friends. You see the Swedes marching towards you, and you fire a volley. They seem unaffected. For some reason, they're not firing back, just calmly walking towards you. You keep firing, but the Swedes don't flinch.

As they get closer you spot something strange in their ranks. Are those... priests? Battle priests? Are they singing battle psalms? Oh God...

All of a sudden they stop. You can see the white in their eyes. They raise their weapons and fire. It's like thunder. You get ready for another volley, but instead through the smoke you see them charging at you with pikes drawn. A wall of death rushing towards you. You've never seen such elan before.

You run.

Caroleans would also fight silently, without the usual shouting and screaming you'd find in less disciplined armies.

youtube.com/watch?v=0lx7lOORGZE

Some Swede is jizzing his pants

It's all true though, they aren't overrated in an inch

>What was the best army of all time
It's between Roman Legions, Napoleon's Grand Army, the Wehrmacht and the current US military

>and Why was it the caroleans?
It wasnt, because they were never relevant (no, raiding Polish and German villages isnt relevant)

>Not relevant enough
Horrible argument, hope you're ironic.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XII's_invasion_of_Poland
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_of_Grodno
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)

Not him, but:
>war in trash tier 18thC Poland during civil war
>same
>beating Russian army despite being outnumbered, what a feat! It's not like everyone did that at some point
So, that's your proof of relevancy?

The French army under Napoleon imo

Here, have an uncherrypicked list of great northern war battles:
sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_händelser_under_stora_nordiska_kriget

Look at "fältslag" since It's there that the caroleans really shined

Every nation will have wars with excellent victories. So what makes Swedes so special? And it still doesn't change, that they fought against irrelevant enemies.

>Irrelevant enemies
Okay, but the fact that Sweden was pretty much as irrelevant as them evens that fact out and makes your argument useless

What made caroleans special was how they managed to win so much despite being so marginally outnumbered, sure maybe the romans did that as well but how many others?

Imagine being [insert here whoever you want]
[Insert here various shit which happens in 95% of battles, that leads to mass panic]
You run

>Battle priests
>Pikes being used in the 18th century
>Usual shit that happens
Excuse me what?

>sure maybe the romans did that as well but how many others?
Many. Swedes are not special snowflakes.

List some examples from the age where people used guns (shooting weapons)

Napoleons grand armee, hands down, i hate that frog freemason and the liberal cancer he spawned, the wehrmacht cant hold a candle to the grand armee, Napoleon was pure genius, destroying armies twice his size, moving huge armies quickly, defeating six coalitions amd conquering europe.

>Pikes being used in the 18th century
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Racławice
>Battle priests
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jasna_Góra
>List some examples from the age where people used guns (shooting weapons)
Eh, most battles won by Poland-Lithuania in 16-17thC. In rest of Europe you will find some examples too. Like tercio I guess.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orsha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Klushino
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lubieszów
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trzciana
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khotyn_(1621)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wenden_(1601)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kirchholm
Shit happens.

I'm assuming you are a pole.

Sure, pikes were still plenty popular in northern/eastern europe but not much anywhere else.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jasna_Góra
This battle was a siege of a monestary, priests were otherwise not taken to the battlefield offensives

Oh and also. An uprising? Really?

France in the Napoleonic Wars (pic related)
Prussia in the Franco-Prussian War
Americans during WW2 (against Japs)

>France
Fair, amazing army
>Prussia
They were mostly matched or slightly larger in Numbers actually
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War
>US
Unfair, the japanese army wasn't close to as advanced as the us army

>I'm assuming you are a pole.
Yea
>Sure, pikes were still plenty popular in northern/eastern europe but not much anywhere else
During Bathory reforms (second half od 16thC) number of pikemen in Polish army was greatly reduced. During rule of Vasa(beggining of 17thC) pikemen were to be disbanded entirely, as they were considered obsolete. At that time rest of Europe was still.
>muh pike&shot
Swedes were first to realise, that pike&shot has
disadvantages... the hard way.
During uprising Kosynierzy used polearm weapons, but they had no other choice. I wouldn't call that "innovative" or sth.
>This battle was a siege of a monestary, priests were otherwise not taken to the battlefield offensives
That's true.

>piety
>estoicism
>courage
>manliness
I simply can't believe these people were Swedish.

Excuse my ignorance, but what disadvantages did pike and shot have? The Carolean army fared well for the most part

Hm... I expressed that poorly. I was more about army composition. Pike&shot at that time was about half pikemen : half muskeeters. It had poor firepower, and at the same time pikemen were unable to withstand Polish cavalry charge. Ratio changed over time. Carolean army consisted of more muskeeters, and they were supported by cavalry.
quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A49473.0001.001/1:11?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

You're cucked.
I would kill many of them.

you wouldn't, the riffles at that time had shit accuracy that was why they didn't fire until they could see the white in their eyes.

Please don't fall for the memes senpai

Y-You're c-cucked! I learnt this word off Veeky Forums :(

Comes to show that you know very few real Swedes my boy. If you were able to look past the memes our shit government and Veeky Forums produce you'd see that the majority of rural and urban Swedes hates our government and wish the muslims out. THE CIVIL WAR IS HERE SOON I SWEAR SENPAI

forgot the Mongols

now now nils-göran, playtime's over
now let me force myself on that sweet blonde boipussy

Objectively speaking, modern armies are obviously the most advanced in every way possible.

Moral-wise i'd say French during the revolution and Napoleonic wars

Tactical-wise (for their time) i'd say the Prussians during first half of 18th century

Most progressive at their time overall, i'd say Romans in the early imperial years

United States Marines or special forces.

America is the strongest nation on earth.

>WE WUZ CAROLEANS OCH SKIT

>civilized and disciplined
>notorious for being the most barbaric looters and rapists in continental Europe even by 17th/18th century standards
Yeah no.

It was Swedens previous mainly mercenary armies which were barbaric, the caroleans (18th century) were extremely honorable

australian

SEE THE WHITE IN THEIR EYES; CAROLEANS ARE MARCHING ON!

Mongols > Prussians tactically speaking comparative to their contemporaries