Let's discuss death

Let's discuss death.

According to science and knowledge, when looked at from a """realistic""" perspective of course, the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce. Does that mean, looking at it from this perspective, single people who are likely to remain so for the rest of their lives, should kill themselves since they do not fulfill life's goal? On a serious note, why do people fear death so much? Nothing matters beyond death. Is it best to get it over with since it comes inevitably? Particularly when there is little meaning to life but to have sex. There is no happiness for me anymore. Give me answers Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene
youtube.com/watch?v=ojEq-tTjcc0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's more to life than just happiness.

Completely ignoring thousands of years of philosophical discourse and looking at humans purely as animals, the goal isn't even to reproduce, it's just to further the species. These are two very different things. A single person might not reproduce, but they can easily further the species through invention, aid, work, spreading joy, etc. They "grease the wheels" for others, although they might not be able to reproduce themselves.

If it truly were human's only instinctual "purpose" to reproduce, why are we so revolted on an instinctual level by the killing of the weak and infirm who require more resources to survive? Clearly successful humans have realized that the weak and infirm have their own value, although they might not be able to reproduce. Even loser faggots like you.

>According to science and knowledge, when looked at from a """realistic""" perspective of course, the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce.
Yeah, that's your biological imperative. DNA is the molecule that works to replicate itself for all eternity.

>why do people fear death?
See above.

>the sole purpose
false, there is no purpose from what you experience. humans imagine some purpose, and nothing else.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene

Why do you believe that the only reason to live is to reproduce? Is this seriously the extent of your investigation?

>According to science and knowledge, when looked at from a """realistic""" perspective of course, the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce.

YOU MEAN "MATERIALISTIC PERSPECTIVE", NOT "REALISTIC PERSPECTIVE".

>Does that mean, looking at it from this perspective, single people who are likely to remain so for the rest of their lives, should kill themselves since they do not fulfill life's goal?

ACCORDING TO A MATERIALISTIC FATALISTIC LOGIC, THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO NOT REPRODUCE ARE DEVIANTS, AND REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FORCES OF DEATH, SINCE THEY DO NOT PRODUCE FURTHER INDIVIDUAL LIVES.

ACTUALLY, IT IS THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO REPRODUCE THAT REPRESENT THE FORCES OF DEATH, SINCE THEY CONTINUOUSLY PRODUCE INDIVIDUAL LIVES, FOR NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO PERPETUATE THEIR GENES, THUS, FURTHER SATURATING THE WORLD, AND FURTHER INTENSIFYING MISERY, AND SUFFERING, WHICH ARE INHERENT TO THE MATERIAL WORLD, WHILST THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO NOT REPRODUCE ARE THE ONES WHO REPRESENT THE FORCES OF LIFE BY CHOOSING TO END MATERIAL LIFE IN FAVOUR OF PSYKHIC LIFE, AS LONG AS LIFE WITHIN THE KOSMOS ENTAILS MISERY, AND SUFFERING.

>On a serious note, why do people fear death so much?

BECAUSE THEY ARE ATTACHED TO LIFE, YET, DO NOT KNOW HOW TO LIVE.

>Nothing matters beyond death. Is it best to get it over with since it comes inevitably? Particularly when there is little meaning to life but to have sex. There is no happiness for me anymore.

1. THE END OF AN INDIVIDUAL LIFESPAN IS NOT DEATH ITSELF, BUT AN EXPERIENCE OF DEATH; THAT EXPERIENCE OF DEATH IS A TRANSITION TOWARD THE HYPERZONE —THE ZONE WHERE ALL SOULS GO AFTER THEIR MATERIAL LIFESPANS EXPIRE, TO WAIT FOR THE APOCALYPSE; THE HYPERZONE IS ALSO KNOWN AS "PURGATORY", AND AS "BARZAKH".

2. THAT KIND OF SUICIDAL SENTIMENTS, EROTIC COMPULSIONS, AND GENERAL MISERY, ARE SYMPTOMATIC OF A FATALISTIC WORLDVIEW; FATALISM ITSELF DERIVES FROM A MATERIALISTIC MENTALITY.

When will this naturalistic materialism meme end? It only brings around suffering and sadness. It depends on having a worldview as deep as a puddle (science is the only tool through we can know the universe even though science can only answers hard science questions).

Holy shit people, stop being so fucking reductionist.

Veeky Forums is that way

Nigga is your caps lock permanently stuck?

Life doesn't have a goeal you dipshit.

In my philosophy, the meaning of life is to help evolve the human race, since that is the only thing that matters in the long term perspective. And even single people can do that. Even some shitty redneck factory-worker is doing his shitty bit to help.

You... I like you.

evolution doesn't need help to be evolution, just saying.

Makes you wonder why we started writing shit down then.

Sorry, information based evolution left genetic based evolution in the dust a long, long time ago. (...and then there's CRISPR, where it just plain old takes over entirely.)

>purpose
spooky

goal bck 2 re-edit

I need to start going to redit to learn this shit, or at least find a guide book as to what is and isn't redit. As so far as I can tell thus far it seems to be "anything I disagree with".

I didn't ecen read the post you quoted
But you're using reddit ebin maymays
So you're reddit and have to go back

Well, I Googled, "You... I like you." and Redit doesn't show up.

...On the other hand, 9gag does, so now I do feel ashamed.

On the other hand, I wasn't aware the phrase I came up with off the top of my head was sourced in Full Metal Jacket, so now I feel less so.

It's all so confusing... I miss the days when Veeky Forums was simple, and all I had to do was gets, and I didn't have to worry about whether or not the Simpsons did it.

it's not even to further species
the goal of all life is to further life itself

And then heat death and the end of everything you thought had meaning.

You're a nihilist and don't know it.

there's no "we" in evolution.

Organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, an accident. Your lives are measured in years and decades. You wither and die.

Got ~100 trillion years to figure out how to fix it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ojEq-tTjcc0

...provided we can get off the planet, which, at this rate, is a rather big if.

Actually, there is... But I suppose it's more intrinsic to non-genetic information sharing, so I suppose that's just one more reason why the old fashion method is just so damned obsolete.

you think we're in deterministic control of the information sharing we engage in?

Determinism or not, the effect is the same.

Went from the water to land over billions of years, from land to the trees over another billion, from the trees to the ground over millions, then we started writing stuff down, dominated the planet within a few thousand, and then took to the air and then to the moon in less than a century.

...and will soon that same information base will be used to alter our DNA instead of the hold haphazard process.

Assuming it doesn't cause us all to self-destruct, of course.

What I was aiming at relates to precisely the distinction of vanilla evolution and evolution directed by our actions. To me the idea of us "controlling" evolution is like clouds controlling the weather. Surely the presence of clouds interacts with what the weather will be like, but are the clouds in control? If the effect of our agency cannot be predicted, is it even that relevant to investigate or to make distinctions between flavors of evolution?

>is it even that relevant to investigate or to make distinctions between flavors of evolution?
Only if you assume a lack of agency makes it irrelevant to compare any two things.

When it comes to speed of advancement of the spread of life, one method is clearly superior to the other, even if the former model must resolve to a certain form before the latter can take over.

>When it comes to speed of advancement of the spread of life, one method is clearly superior to the other.

On this we are in comfortable agreement.

>Does that mean, looking at it from this perspective, single people who are likely to remain so for the rest of their lives, should kill themselves since they do not fulfill life's goal

No, that is stupid.

>the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce
>"""realistic""" perspective

I'm glad you put so many quotation marks around that so I didn't have to. Let me explain, life and humanity are not the same. You assume the purpose of life is to continue life, but as many in this thread have pointed out that is a false conclusion that you ascribe to life thanks to your human consciousness and how that affects what you see as life and death. The reality is that there is no great difference between the living and the dead, only to the conscious human mind are these things opposites or somehow at ends with each other. In other words, human consciousness and free will breaks the idea that life has only one goal, the fact that we can commit suicide is proof of that.

bitch you got beaten by a human, the first human spectre because none of them were actually worth inviting to join the spectre ranks. you ain't shit.

>the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce.
Incorrect. Reproduction is not the purpose of life, rather, reproduction is one of the aspects with which we categorize a particular process as "life." You could call it a property of life.

And even then, there are many life strategies that do not directly result in the reproduction of a particular individual that do result in the propogation of the gene pool. For example, consider a bee. The vast majority of them do not reproduce, instead working to support the queen. But as they share genes with the queen, the overall pool benefits from their actions. By analogy, we could look at humans who do not reproduce but further society in any way (including consumption supporting the current economic system) are similarly supporting the overall human gene pool, at least in the short term. Finally, humans fear death because it was adaptive to do so and no new pressure has existed to make it not so, and capital-P "Purpose" is also an arbitrary cultural concept that has no place in a scientific perspective.

The function of life is to survive. Reproduction, adaptation, and spread are but mechanisms to this end. But it is true, function does not equate to purpose - which is a completely arbitrary thing ultimately determined by each individual. Each sapient being determines its own purpose. Even if you don't believe in free-will, it's still true from each being's own limited perspective, even inasmuch as it can perceive the circumstances which give rise to its choice.

Reproduction is not necessarily even functional towards survival, however. Yes, some level of reduction must always be achieved, but over-reproduction of a species, or even a segment of a species, can be detrimental towards the function of the collective's survival. At this point, for humanity, with few exceptions, at the individual level, information and social based contributions are far more advantageous to collective survival than mere reproduction.

Not saying you shouldn't make babies, mind ye. That rather depends on your situation, but at this point, that's basically just functional maintenance, not the end-all-be-all for the species as a whole.

There is no meaning as you can choose your own and live for it, but overall I think it's the game of ''can humanity aquire enough knowledge to have power of gods, shaping the very universe to our needs''

It's the game of games, where even the players are games.

Science typically rejects teleology unless it's necessary for research methodology. There is no scientific purpose to your existence; that question is answered by other areas of philosophy.

>the sole purpose for the existence of humans and life as a whole is to reproduce
or maybe to help others to do it? Contribute to the great race in some way, help be the mechanism that drives the concept of humanity forward, so what if you're not one of the ones that personally decides to commit to having and raising offspring. if everyone did, nowhere near the amount of progress we've seen would have been made.

nice reddit spacing senpai