Why was Watergate the one scandal that's caused a POTUS to resign? How is it worse than Iran-Contra, for example?

Why was Watergate the one scandal that's caused a POTUS to resign? How is it worse than Iran-Contra, for example?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>worse
The law doesn't evaluate moral badness, so that's irrelevant. Iran-Contra had a fall guy.

Iran Contra was just some usually run of the mill shady bullshit that the government is/has always been doing.
And like he said, it also had a fall guy.

Watergate involved a felony, burglary, but was more of a frat prank than anything else. Nixon wanted to know what they were going to do at their convention, and who was going to speak, etc. There is no evidence Nixon knew about the burglary prior to the act.

Iran Contra violated what was known as the Boland Amendment, which was since scrapped after a couple of years. While Reagan wanted to fight the Soviets, the Congress wanted to suck their collective dicks.

They investigated Iran Contra exhaustively and never could pin Reagan to any of the acts. It was also during this time that Reagan started to slip into dementia/Alzheimers.

This Obamagate is conservatively 50 times worse than both of those things combined, and will never be treated as such. CIA operating within US borders with NSA capabilities spying on candidates directly is far worse than Watergate, and their capacity to kill people by taking control of airplanes/cars/phones etc. is unbelievably dangerous.

The shadow government declared war on the legit elected Trump Administration, and Trump better start acting like he's in a war, rikki tik.

I dont know, but I fucKing HATE how everything is now "_____Gate"

>Why was Watergate the one scandal that's caused a POTUS to resign?

If I'm not mistaken, it's because they had physical evidence (a tape recording) of Nixon lying.

>CIA operating within US borders with NSA capabilities spying on candidates directly is far worse than Watergate
It's literally exactly the same. Besides if you're suspected of committing a crime you can get tapped

please sit down

It's worse because the CIA is not allowed to operate domestically.

Here's what they did.

They fabricated their cyber tools to blame Russia for whatever, and then set up surveillance on Trump and associates, at all times saying they were only interested in foreign ties.

Knowing the entire time that the foreign ties were always them.

They have engineered a way to work domestically, which is against their charter and their reason for existence.

They had a tape recording of him ordering hush money to be given to a witness in a federal investigation.

Shit's felony obstruction of justice.

By the way, a criminal wiretap and a FISA tap are two entirely different creatures.

>CIA is not allowed to operate domestically.
Yeah but they do it all the time, half the time they're targeting black radicals and you guys love that shit

>people blame the CIA for the shady shit
>people never catch on to the fact that the FBI is the real goon squad

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

I was thinking more of the massive drug importation that turned street gangs toward criminal enterprise rather than black/latino nationalism

If I'm honest, I'm pretty sure that would have happened either way.

If you can make a product for ten dollars a pound and then sell it for ten thousand dollars a pound, the free market is going to find a way.

Well yeah, and the way that they found was for the CIA to set up secret "civilian" airlines to fly huge quantities of drugs and money back and forth. Yeah the market finds a way but when your product is illegal you have to either be small-scale or have an in with "the man"

The version I heard was that the CIA simply told the DEA not to go after CIA assets, so US-friendly drug traffickers in Central America used the de facto immunity to get into big business.

But I dunno how much a guy like Escobar with 30 billion dollars in cocainebux really needs gringo help to get things done.

Put your seat belt on, and then google Barry Seal

I really wish heads would roll for this.

We have a Hategate over here

>CIA dpying directly on candidates
This happened? Source?

Because they had hard evidence (Nixon was dumb enough to record himself) linking Nixon to everything, while Reagan didn't have that problem and had a fall guy for everything.
they didn't, though they've clearly been investigating Trump's associates

Source is Trump's twitter account, don't believe the MSM fake news.

Is there any proof that he was wiretapped? Because so far all i've seen "but my feelings!"

>>CIA dpying directly on candidates
>This happened? Source?

Wikileaks just spilled the beans on the CIA:

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

Johnson didn't deserve being impeached, since Stanton wasn't subject to the Tenure of Office Act; and the act itself is a direct violation of the sovereignty the executive branch needed for checks and balances. Also it was clearly a cheap shop by Republicans mad at someone not enacting their punishing form of reconstruction.

Nixon would've and should've been removed from office for obstruction of justice.

Reagan should've been removed from office for Iran-Contra.

Clinton should've been removed from office for perjury and obstruction of justice. Even though it was also a cheap Republican hit job.

Obama should've been removed for selling automatic weapons to the cartels, assassinating American citizens overseas, attempting to cover up Benghazi, the transfer of billions of taxpayer dollars into slush funds for political action groups in the last days of his administration, the IRS tax scandal, paying ransom to Iran, the Solyndra scam, etc.

>>>/chain email/

Nixon did nothing wrong. The media was just as trash back then as it is today.

This isn't reddit though.

>I have nothing useful to say
>>>>/reddit/

It happened back when illegitimate government surveillance was still frowned upon. Also it sounds like Nixon didn't have the usual cabal of cronies up and down the system to protect him like subsequent presidents

That's pretty much the opposite of wiretapping.

what's a "source"?

an image usually in a compressed format with artifacts such as .jpg with large colored text and helpful illustrations usually made in ms paint

>the opposite of wiretapping.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_7

"One of the software suites, reportedly code-named "Weeping Angel", is claimed to be able to use Samsung smart televisions as covert listening devices. In June 2014, the CIA with British intelligence's MI5 held a joint workshop to improve the "Weeping Angel" hack, which appears to have specifically targeted Samsung's F8000 series TVs released in 2013. It would allow an infected smart television to be used "as a bug, recording conversations in the room and sending them over the internet to a covert C.I.A. server" even if it appears to be off."

I like what Chomsky said on the matter: it's kind of like finding out that the heads' of Murder Inc. have been cheating on their income taxes. Reprehensible, sure, but hardly the main point.

Nixon was known for being paranoid in a lot of other ways too. People I know who lived through the era say that he called Kent State protesters "pigs" on the radio and that he had his thugs break into the office of one of his rival's psychiatrists in order to steal documents he could use against him.

This post went from zero to potato very quickly

And you're basing the assertion that they did this on US soil and targeted Trump on what?

I'm mostly with you but Trump hasn't really provided solid evidence for Obamagate. His campaign aides being wiretapped isn't really a big scandal.

kek

The problem is that we have been brainwashed by both the Left and the Right that anything goes in foreign policy but domestic policy has rules.