What are the advantages and disadvantages of lamellar armor? Why use it over chainmail or your mother's fat ass?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of lamellar armor? Why use it over chainmail or your mother's fat ass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EVV5my415VA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By design its better at dispersing force across the individual plates than a single piece, it's fairly light weight and manuverable, and won't dent inwards like plate can.

Advantages
>Easy to assemble and repair.
>Cheaper than mail.
>Easier to make small plates of steel and metal than having to draw the wire to make mail.
>Helps disperse blunt trauma.

Disadvantages
>Lacing susceptible to cuts in battle and can rot on campaign, needing repairs
>Leaves exposed space on the body (like the armpits in OP's pic.

Advantages:
>Makes you look like a Mongolian regardless of your ethnicity

Disadvantages:
>May cause male pattern baldness

> By design its better at dispersing force across the individual plates than a single piece

It is the opposite you retard.

> it's fairly light weight and manuverable

No, it is actually heavier than plate or mail of the same thickness.

> and won't dent inwards like plate can.

Fucking retards stop talking out of your ass, lamellar gives to force just as mail armor does;

youtube.com/watch?v=EVV5my415VA

Early Japanesee armor was pure iron, or bronze,

The lammellar they adopted was less expensive yet offered the same level of protection. while it had some gaps its plates were harder to penetrate than mail.

Naturally however these gaps became the main weakness

> its plates were harder to penetrate than mail

They are actually pretty equal.

> Naturally however these gaps became the main weakness

Well yeah, mail covers everything while lamellar makes everything not your torso or shoulders exposed.

>lamellar
>posts chainmail

nigger

Thats actually an under armor worn under the lammelar to cover te gaps in the torso.

The would often where a lighter lammelar on top of the main suit which covered gaps as well.

A latter development was just sowing plates into a shirt to wear under the armor

curb your autism, different types of armor are mainly considered due to the techniques for constructing said armor. It's easier for the smith to stamp out a few thousand identical plates than for him to hand-fit a metal suit to precisely fit the person for whom it is intended. That's the main advantage. Mail armor is similar, just makes a few hundred thousand rings and stamp them together.

light suits of armor were not uncommon of course but many had better coverage than that example.

In practice I suppose both mail and lammellar are going to repel cuts and most thrusts, I dont know if anyone has actually tested authentic materials so I am only quoting wh at I have read it academic texts

> Thats actually an under armor worn under the lammelar to cover te gaps in the torso.

Actually, there is very little evidence of kurosari before the 16th century, and even after that, a lot of samurai did not use it because the regular samurai armor weighted about 25-30kg, so adding mail underarmor was seen as overencumberance.

> light suits of armor were not uncommon of course but many had better coverage than that example.

What I posted is a heavy suit, just for the Heian period, later ones were more elaborate, but the gaps were still there.

Even in your example, the arms are completely exposed apart from the wrist.

They have protection on the outside of the arms

Lamellar falls apart
Chainmail is durable

This makes me wonder: Would bronze maille work? Bronze is extremely tough and doesn't rust, granted it's slightly heavier and way, way more expansive, but in practical terms would a maille byrnie made of bronze be better than an iron one?

Mail is extremely labor intensive to construct. Lamellar is not.

Mail is form-fitting and can be folded up and put in your pocket when you aren't wearing it. Lamellar is heavy and bulky.

Its impossible to say which is more protective.

>youtube.com/watch?v=EVV5my415VA

Why not just let it kill you? I have never rally understood this concept, wouldn't in most cases, wearing armour make wounds worse? Lethally worse?

I know how retarded and anti-intuitive that sounds.

The heaviness and bulk of lamellar is somewhat offset by the fact that it was primarily used by cavalry of various kinds. Footmen were seldom armored outside of Europe, and Asian warfare in particular centred around horse archers, who favored lamellar over silk as being the best solution to enemy arrowfire.

Lamellar helmets have that nice trick where you can lay them flat.

Pic related. A reproduction of a Chinese general's helmet.

>What I posted is a heavy suit

From that angle it looks alike a haramaki or other abbreviated form used by footmen

> This makes me wonder: Would bronze maille work? Bronze is extremely tough

Not as tough as iron or steel.

> doesn't rust

Mail also does not really rust when taken care off and it is easy to take care off.

>Why not just let it kill you?

Because people want to live.

> wouldn't in most cases, wearing armour make wounds worse?

No.

You cannot be this retarded.

> I know how retarded and anti-intuitive that sounds.

Good.

> They have protection on the outside of the arms

Only some high tier armors in the later period do, basically 90% do not have any armor on the arms at all, aside from the lamellar shoulder shields.

>Only some high tier armors in the later period do,

There are period depictions of Kamakura warriors with such protection. not to the extent of later examples but they have some basic armor on the outer arm in addition to the sode on the shoulders

actually bronze is tougher than iron, there's a reason roman officers all used bronze armor and bronze swords

>disadvantages of lamellar armor
Strange how the armpit covering lamellar of the Western Han wasn't passed down.

> actually bronze is tougher than iron

Only in hardness, in tensile strength, iron is superior, let alone steel.

> there's a reason roman officers all used bronze armor and bronze swords

Some did, others did not, especially after steel became widespread in Roman metallurgy.

> Strange how the armpit covering lamellar of the Western Han wasn't passed down.

Because that is an incredibly complex and expensive hanging lamellar, only for the high officers.

It would be incredibly expensive to a Japanese of any era, if anyone could even craft it.

This image is what the heaviest soldiers actually wore.

This is the most usual form of heavy lamellar always was, torso protection with pauldrons, nothing more.

Maybe because Mexican Buddha there looks like a clown.

>Only in hardness
Bronze is softer numbnuts

>Because that is an incredibly complex and expensive hanging lamellar, only for the high officers.
I just find it interesting how Han era innovations either went out of fashion(lamellar sleeves),adopted by their immediate neighbors(lamellar neckguards) or revived centuries later(front opening lamellar).

>This is the most usual form of heavy lamellar always was, torso protection with pauldrons, nothing more.
From what I've seen the Han didn't have lamellar that extended below the waist(Tang) or lamellar faulds(Eastern Jin).

> Bronze is softer numbnuts

Not compared to iron.

To steel, yes.

> I just find it interesting how Han era innovations either went out of fashion

The Han were an incredibly developed political entity and it took centuries for China to even start to revive itself after it collapsed.

The fall of the Han is sort of akin to the fall of Rome in Europe.

> From what I've seen the Han didn't have lamellar that extended below the waist(Tang) or lamellar faulds(Eastern Jin).

This is correct, they would usually just have torso protection, similar how the Roman armor also stopped at the waist.

>Not compared to iron.
>To steel, yes.
It's softer than both you complete fucking retard

Ugh;

The yield strength of bronze is 193 MPa and the yield strength of wrought iron is 159 - 221, however, hardness of material is a different value, bronze has a hardness of 148 wrought iron a hardness of 100.

Tin was rare and had a low yield, and it quickly became much easier to equip an army in cheap iron instead of expensive bronze.

As steels were developed, iron alloys quickly surpassed bronzes.

Carbon steel has a yield strength of 620 MPa and low carbon steel with 248 MPa, both outstripping bronze and wrought iron.

The hardness of carbon steel goes from 201 and 310.

Again, this surpasses both iron and bronze by a large margin.

However, wrought iron is in fact softer than bronze, even though it has better tensile strength and yield.

>bronze has a hardness of 148 wrought iron a hardness of 100.
By what scale and why are you intentionally picking a low carbon iron? Is it cuz you realized you were being a retarded cocksucking gaiboi?

> By what scale and why are you intentionally picking a low carbon iron?

Low carbon iron?

Iron and carbon means steel lol

>Iron and carbon means steel lol
>iron has no carbon lol!
How many classes into materials science are you tardo?

I mean seriously, did you specifically mention wrought iron without kniwing it was an iron alloy. What happened wiki warrior?

Would you prefer cast iron?

I would prefer you know wtf youre talking about and stop saying bronze is harder than iron.

> How many classes into materials science are you tardo?

Google what steel is retard.

> I mean seriously, did you specifically mention wrought iron without kniwing it was an iron alloy. What happened wiki warrior?

Wrought iron is just iron you imbecile.

An alloy of iron and carbon is already steel.

>Wrought iron is just iron you imbecile.
No it isn't, it's a specific king of iron alloy with a certain carbon content. It's also very soft.
>An alloy of iron and carbon is already steel

Not necessarily you fucking mouthbreathing retard.

> No it isn't, it's a specific king of iron alloy with a certain carbon content. It's also very soft.

Fucking lol, you are confusing wrought iron with cast iron.

Wrought iron has basically no carbon.

> Not necessarily you fucking mouthbreathing retard.

Yes, yes necessarily.

Iron without carbon cannot be steel.

>Wrought iron has basically no carbon.
So do certain steels not the fucking point.
Also shifting the goalpost, guessing you actually spent more than a second researching it.
>Iron without carbon cannot be steel.
All steel has carbon not all iron that has carbon is steel.

Is that fucking clear enough for you gaiboi?

I'm going home and not going to argue this retarded bullshit any longer here's the first google link, it's fucking Wikipedia.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron
>Wrought iron is an iron alloy with a very low carbon (less than 0.08%) content in contrast to cast iron (2.1% to 4%).

Pic is a quick rockwell table

Bronze is softer than iron, yeah cunt?

> Is that fucking clear enough for you gaiboi?

The only thing clear is that bronze is harder than iron.