What were the reasons Rome fell that older civilizations wrote?

What were the reasons Rome fell that older civilizations wrote?

I don't want to know why modern historians wrote why Rome fell, I want to know why people said Rome fell, 50 years after it actually fell, then 100 years, and then in the year 800, 1000, up to 1500.

They were too busy cosplaying as Rome to acknowledge it actually ended.

Stop with these stupid repetitive threads. This is such an exhausted subject.

No, all the rome falling threads are about what contemporary historians wrote

I want to know what historians wrote about it back then to get a full picture and not be blinded by what contemporaries are saying. I place more value in what a historian in 500 and 1000AD wrote about Rome than some jew in 2005 writing that Rome fell because it wasn't feminist enough

Can you blame them, though?

filthy goths

Rome didn't fall in tell the 1400s.

abandoning the pagan gods

western did

Livy always writes about the 'moral decay' of the romans, but that's a specious argument that tries to contextualize many different changes into a tidy narrative that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

I mean Livy was a Roman himself wasn't he

Yeah, he lived during the fall of the republic and the rise of the empire and was already lamenting the decline of the Romans

'moral decay' doesn't exist, its a bullshit term made up by conservatards who are mad at progress

Some blamed it on Christianity.

progress is a myth you whig history dullard

you back to pol you fucking virgin nazi retard

maybe if a girl could even stomach looking in your direction for more than one second without vomiting you might not take out your insecurities on womxn, PoC, and lgbtiaq++ folks, but that's never going to happen so just kill yourself you inbred neckbeard hick

Is this post ironic?

You know what he meant

>ad hominem
Yawn. Although this is all the left has at this point so...

you're way off the mark pal.

the idea of historical 'progress', that human history is inevitably moving 'forward' or 'towards' something is a sham.

false flag post folks.

kys yourself

Augustine was trying to cover Christians' asses from people blaming them for Rome's fall literally at the time Rome was being sacked.

Rome didn't fall until 1922 fucktard

I think people are intrinsically interested due to the times we live in. Modern America seems to be using rome's final days' playbook;

> Invasions by Barbarian tribes
(Happening)
> Economic troubles and overreliance on slave labor
Uh huh.
> The rise of the Eastern Empire
Ah.
> Overexpansion and military overspending
Yyyyeaaah
> Government corruption and political instability
Ho-boy.
> The arrival of the Huns and the migration of the Barbarian tribes
Oh God...
> Christianity and the loss of traditional values
Ohhhhhhhh God
>Weakening of the Roman legions
We're so fucked.

We're so fucked dude.

did you get this from a molymeme video because its clear you didnt learn it from reading an actual book

If we were going to compare America to Rome's historical trajectory I'd land them closer to late republic than late empire.

It's still a flawed comparison no matter how you spin it. Radically different world.

I don't know much of anything, I have been binging on Rome YouTube videos.

If there's any books you can recommend that'd be much appreciated, I realized it's an intensely retarded version of what happened.
At least my titanic phase is over.

Oh, that's good news.

roman farmers being replaced by imported slaves tending giant patrician estates is one of those things that rung with me when i first heard about it

not an argument

decline and fall of the roman empire by gibbon

also, listen to the history of rome by mike duncan

Yessss, thank you thank you.

Take Gibbon with a grain of salt, a lot of academics consider his thesis and analysis a bit defunct, but he still has some good stuff.

No one actually thought that it fell back then. The eastern half lived on as if nothing had happened and in the west the process was slow enough that the people living there couldn't notice any difference.

You're right. Moral decay definitely doesn't exist.

>*Now just open your butthole so I can deposit a load of semen in it without telling you that I contracted aids from a previous lover.*

>*What do you mean fucking my dog is a bad idea, you evil biggot*

>*I am not going to pay my taxes, marry and produce children, or fight for my country. Instead I'll collect welfare, masturbate to 2d images, and flee to another country in my nations time of need*

In a truly moral society we'd take people who construct retarded strawmen and execute them.

>Points out morally decadant behaviour that is becoming more and more acceptable and commonplace in order to show that moral decay is a very real thing that brings down society in various ways
>Hurr Durr that's a strawman

Are you retarded or were you just pretending?

isnt it funny how the most vocal proponents of 'moral decay' seem to be bitter loners? it's almost as if its sour grapes talking...

Believe it or not, but when Rome fell most nations saw it as a temporary upset that would be set straight. In fact, most of the 'barbarian' invaders considered themselves part of the roman empire and successors to the imperial throne. The franks, the burgundians, the visigoths, you know it. They started acting more roman to strengthen their claims and thus a millenium and a half of Roman LARPing began.

>If you talk about moral decay your a bitter loner
>Accuses others of fallacies such as strawmen

Yeah, you're retarded.

Morally decadent patrician class starts stealing land from plebians. Plebians no longer capable of affording a standard set of army to serve in legionaries. Many become landless poor to the point where ancient Rome's population swells to 1 million. State forced to subsidize those poor with a grain dole.

>Army is no longer well equipped making it easier for barbarians to traipse across the border

>Disease and starvation become commonplace thanks to poverty

>New barbarians are conscripted and given dole same as Romans

>New barbarians don't co sider themselves Roman and sack Rome multiple times

>Most of this could have been alleviated if the patricians weren't so greedy and decadent

Yeah, moral decay didn't play any part in Rome's collapse.

I am not saying it was the only problem but it was a big one. It's also a big cancer today when I see more and more people being fat and lazy and expecting the state to pay for them.

Army=armour

>barbarians only attacked because they were attacked first and have been abused by medicucks since before the Roman Republic