Veeky Forums approved vidya

Veeky Forums approved vidya

Pic very related. Working on my first campaign as the Confederacy and am loving it.

while waiting for responses I wan't to ask, what is Veeky Forums's opinion of the war? Could the South have won?

What could have been done to prevent the war in the first place?

the south had absolutely no chance of realistically winning the war. period.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg was a pile of shit because Darth isn't a good designer. How is this any better?

The North's population and manufacturing capacity for armaments far outweighed the South's. I don't see any likely scenario where the south wins unless it captured WDC at the very start but they weren't ready for such a campaign that early in the war.

I didn't really like Gettysburg either but the UI was simplified a lot and the movement of battalions isn't an ordeal anymore.

Did he fix the issue where the mechanics of how topography worked in the game was so vague that only the AI was able to use it effectively?

The south could have "won" the war, if they held up a bit better and you didn't have the fall of Atlanta or a similar military victory prior to the 1864 election; McClellan was ahead in the polls prior to that.

The problem is, , by the time he takes office, Union troops are liekly to have overrun half the Confederacy, and he's not likely to give any of that turf back, even on a peace platform. So while you might have peace for a bit and a rump confederate state, the political situation is extremely unstable, and you're almost certain to see the Union try to do in the rest within 5-10 years.

the topographic map is not present at all anymore. That was total shit in gettysburg. The way that the map looks now is a lot better for gauging depth though.

>No matter how you do in one battle you go into the next slightly historical battle just with different numbers depending how big your army is and be extension how big the enemy army is going to be.

Seriously, why if you somehow destroy the Union army at First Manassas do you not have an option to march on Washington? Why if you somehow destroy the Union army at Antietam do you still run back to Virginia?

Same goes for the Union, if you destroy the Confederate army in every battle why do you not go and take Richmond?

Why even make it an RPG with a "campaign map" when there are no real strategic options that matter.

I hate the American Civil War and the Napoleonic Wars periods, yet they are so popular in wargaming and strategy games.

The south could have won the war by staying defensive, making the war long, and thus ensuring that a foreign power will intervene, or that the population of the north will revolt.
In a straight up conflict based on battles they couldn't have won. They had less less money, lee dudes, less guns, less cannons, and produced all of these slower.

yeah that bugs me too. I hope Darth fleshes out an actual campaign. I've sunk a hundred or so hours into the game so far but I can't imagine I'll play much more in its current state.

Also, pic related is on the slitherine steam sale. Can anyone recommend it? I was also thinking about picking up pike & shot but 15 bones still seems a little high.

> slitherine
It's overpriced indie shit for "hardcore" wargamers with outdated mechanics, ugly graphic and unintuitive UI. You'll find more historicity and mechanical depth in the paradox titles, desu.

chyea i've got an itch for another wargame though.

Who's serving the Great Adversary here?

The south could have won or at least whitepeaced if they got support from Europe. But after the battle of Antietam and the emancipation proclamation they had no chance.

Paradox are morons.

Let's implement a faction that can imprison virtually anyone, that will grant an automatic +50 relations, lets you kill anyone without repercussion.

Who needs any form of balance when you can leddit memes of we so evil llolollolololl.

The negative events are pretty bad and -50 opinion on being discovered it massive. Still, I agree with you, Satanism is currently OP.

Lincoln is Americas Hitler. He invented the first modern death camps for POWs. His federal dictatorship of bankers and big money have ruled ever since. The Southern War of Independence was the last gasp of true democracy in America.

>The negative events are pretty bad and -50 opinion on being discovered it massive

Honestly as a duke i had no problems with either. I was heavily suspected and my king still gave me a title and positions on the council and none of my vassals revolted. Maybe when you get a sprawling empire it becomes more difficult.

(you)

Anybody play Medieval 2 Total War? Looking for someone to play Stainless Steel or Broken Crescent online battles, as SS is way more historically accurate then Vanilla.

although it isn't strictly Veeky Forums... exanima has some (supposedly) accurate sword fighting physics

ask dem boys in the /twg/

>more historicity and mechanical depth in paradox titles

Nah. While I like Paradox titles their games are more balanced for game play rather than historical accuracy, which is fine.

those "hardcore wargames" you talk about are still much more historically accurate, although I this is the only one I can really get into as it has a pretty good UI and is not bad to look at.

But I will say that HOI4 is terrible unless you play it with friends and put some house rules.

If you want a good WWII game with a good MP community try out War in the East, wait until is goes on sale for like 40$ to 60$ as the price is incredibly high.

No it doesn't.
It has sword fighting with some physics on the side.

There's no actual realism to the sword fighting as such.

Anybody like empire total war?

I did but I never get any replies :(.

im a big fan of that game dont know why it gets so much hate

Maybe if they had brought the UK into the conflict against the US, but there was no chance of that.

Mechanically not as good as Napoopan, but the scope of the map is great

Cossacks ii, nobody talks about it, its a fucking gem.

Cossacks 2 would be the best RTS ever if you could allow units to shoot by themselves.

>Could the South have won?
Did the South win?
No?
There's your answer.

Panzer Corps is worth a buy if cheap. It doesn't have longevity to it's mechanics.

I thought that the grand campaign was pretty good. I [spoiler]pirated[/spoiler] it and I enjoyed building and upgrading an army only to watch it start tumblign down at Stalingrad. some of the a-historical missions like assaulting Dunkirk or completing the kursk pincer were nice.

Wargame Red Dragon is a very legit cold war game imo, i'm sad there's no equivalent in the Napoleonic times
love that game good taste OP
looks like an interesting game thx user

advanced tactics is also a good wargame if you're not nearly autistic enough for gary grigbsy