Why do Japanese cartoons and animations have such a unique style unrivaled by any other nation in the world?

Why do Japanese cartoons and animations have such a unique style unrivaled by any other nation in the world?

What is exactly the origins and history of anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n7UtX80rJ1Q
themovieblog.com/2013/08/how-walt-disney-influenced-anime/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veeky
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1489203941615.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=9AOXvdweTu4
Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=9Cwu7KNsEn8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tezuka's Astro Boy, which was in turn inspired by Mickey Mouse.

They might now but they didnt used to. If you look at early western cartoons you can tell easily that they influenced anime and manga cartooning style. The difference is that the Japanese retained and built on the older styles and techniques. One thing that Japanese seemed to master was minimal realsm. They continually break visual informational down into its basic concept and shape while still presenting humanoid characters and realism. Western cartoons decided to go way of the ultra deformed anthropomorphic route, aiming to appeal to children, where Japanese aimed to appeal more generally. So ultimately anime is a more serious and mature style of cartooning and story telling amd so requires a greater level of expertise.

They looked a lot like Disney cartoons early on, but eventually evolved into it's own thing.

Anime has its origins in Japanese propaganda cartoons made before and during WW2.

youtube.com/watch?v=n7UtX80rJ1Q

I always found it weird that slanty-eyed Asians made anime characters with big eyes.

Betty Boop is the prototype anime girl.

>big eyes
>big head
>small nose
>small mouth

I think that japanese art has had some sort of cartoon and comic vibe to it since ancient times, hence more people were involved in that tipe of language and they had more time to develop that kind of medium

So Tezuka converted the golden age of animation into comics so they have the charm of said golden age and similar feeling of movement and expression despite being still images.

pretty easy to transfer it to a limited budget animation from there

>unrivaled
It's not a competition retard. It would only be if you were comparing two animes.

Two nukes wasn't enough

None of that looks anything like anime.

The real answer is the atom bomb.

Japanese are honorary aryans unlike fucking mongrelised Americuck

Literally just modeling Disney's style. Gokus eyes like almost identical to early Mickey Mouse's

themovieblog.com/2013/08/how-walt-disney-influenced-anime/

I'd love to know the influence of traditional japanese art on the creation of anime.

It has to have some.

>he thinks cartoons are the same thing as traditional art

Retard detected. Traditional European art doesn't look anything like Western cartoons.

Definitely, old anime looks similar

>He thinks centuries of artistic style have no influence on a nations later media
How dumb are you?

>Spongebob and classical paintings are totally the same thing, dude, lmao

We're speaking of the origins of cartoons...
Things like Tom and Jerry clearly have artistic influence behind them

They don't have anything to do with traditional art. They're an independent artform.

There is no such thing as independent style. Everything is influenced. A style doesnt appear in a vacuum.

Western cartoons have their roots in political cartoons that portrayed people as exaggerated caricatures. It's certainly a distinct field from traditional art.

That is interesting, kek. I always thought the artists paid more detail to the eyes because they are the most expressive part of the face.

Disney influenced Osamu Tezuka which influence anime as a whole.

No western involvement (specifically American), no anime. And now us, westerners are talking about anime on the History board of an anime site created by a westerner. It all comes full circle.

Big eyes are moe.

Thanks for proving my point

Japanese art is rooted in the search for aesthetics.

I don't see how I did. The influence doesn't come from traditional art.

Dragon Ball Z was the fucking shit in my childhood

it's the only case i can safely say that our parents were correct when movies or video games made us violent

DO NOT PROJECT YOUR OWN INTRINSIC VIOLENT TENDENCIES ON AN ANIME THAT YOU WATCHED DURING YOUR CHILDHOOD, AND WHICH YOU EVIDENTLY DID NOT, AND DO NOT, COMPREHEND.

Political comics are traditional art and are rooted in traditional art.

Americans inspired the Japanese and now the Japanese inspire Americans. Its a cycle of innovation that will be repeated time and time again. Just wait for the American Osamu Tezuka

Please don't shout

american cartoons are dead

That is indeed quite aesthetic

Not my proudest fap kek

>Unique style.
>Starts off as a Disney Ripoff.
>Most popular Anime series is based off Journey to the West.

Veeky Forums isn't an anime site, it's an image board.

No not really.

>

>Veeky Forums is a simple image-based bulletin board where anyone can post comments and share images. There are boards dedicated to a variety of topics, from Japanese animation and culture to videogames, music, and photography. Users do not need to register an account before participating in the community. Feel free to click on a board below that interests you and jump right in!

Nothing about being an anime site.

Just because they added other topics doesn't make it not an anime site. Where do you think the idea for image boards or the 'chan' suffix came from?

>first topic mentioned
>Japanese animation

Having boards dedicated to anime doesn't make it an anime imageboard.

>Having boards dedicated to anime doesn't make it an anime imageboard.

>Veeky Forums was started in 2003 in the bedroom of Christopher Poole, a then-15-year-old student from New York City whose Veeky Forums handle is "moot".[13] Prior to starting Veeky Forums, Poole had been a regular participant on the Something Awful forums.[21] He intended Veeky Forums to be a place to discuss Japanese comics and anime, as an American counterpart to the popular Japanese Futaba Channel ("2chan") imageboard.[11][29] Upon the creation of Veeky Forums, Poole encouraged users from the Something Awful subforum titled "Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse", who also happened to be dissatisfied with the forum, to discuss anime on his website.[30] Poole originally used the Futaba Channel to obtain anime-related images, and liked the concept of a message board where people anonymously shared images, which eventually led to his idea of creating a similar English-based website. During the creation of Veeky Forums, he obtained the source code for the Futaba Channel website, and translated the Japanese text into English using Altavista's Babelfish online translator.[note 1][31] When he first created the website, it had only two boards: "/a/ – Anime/General" and "/b/ – Anime/Random"; more boards were created over time, and /b/ was eventually renamed to simply "/b/ – Random".[note 1][31]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veeky Forums#History

Yes, that's exactly what I said. What's your point?

Maybe it started out as one, but it's not anymore.

adding other boards didn't magically make it stop being an anime site

>simple image-based bulletin board

Apparently it did. I don't quite understand why you're being thick about this.

>logo is an anime girl holding a present
>it has nothing to do with anime

Kys redditurd

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1489203941615.webm

>ad hominem

Not an argument. You can stop posting now, retard.

Apparently, ad hominem is a-okay, according to not-an-argument guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=9AOXvdweTu4

But you're right - now it's a racist anime site.

It's not an ad-hominem if you have an argument coupled with your insult. The current logo of Veeky Forums is literally an anime girl holding a gift. Visit the frontpage if you don't believe me: Veeky Forums.org/

>attempting to justify your fallacious arguments

Lol.

Wew. It's ironic since Moot isn't the owner anymore. Still not proving your point.

Yeah, now the owner of the board founded by Japanime, with dozens of Japanime sub boards, is owned by a Japanese guy. Good point.

>the founder of the site not being the owner anymore invalidates what he said about the foundation of the site

That logo was added when Hiro became the owner.

According to your argument Pizza Hut isn't a pizza place because this description calls it "an American restaurant chain and international franchise" and only mentions pizza as one of the things it does. Which is an autistic as fuck stance to take. Everyone knows Pizza Hut is a pizza place and Veeky Forums is an anime site, descriptions that use more general terms don't make that reality disappear.

>pandering to weebs with a logo means Veeky Forums is still an anime image board

???

You're being trolled.

We aren't talking about pizzahut or pizza.

>I disagree but can't prove him wrong, therefore it's trolling.

Good post.

Maybe not a purely anime site today, but it's still anime themed, which is why ledditors should be ridiculed when they see an anime image on some other board and get butthurt because of it.

>We aren't talking about pizzahut or pizza.

It's called an analogy.

This is still an anime imageboard. Anime is relevant on all boards. Of course, OP is bait, but anime is still a good thing that this website is based upon.

Let's just back to circular arguments about the existence of God...

Why do you keep on bringing up Reddit when it has nothing to do with the argument? Do you have nothing more to contribute?

And yet there's nothing comparable.

Anime has several containment boards.

Wrong. Veeky Forums's original community came from SA. On there is a forum called FYAD. They used to always troll the anime fans. When Veeky Forums was made guess who came along on day 1? FYAD and thus /b/ was born. And terms like wapanese got filtered to weeaboo. Since day 1 there have been people who did not give a shit about anime or hated it or used it ironically to piss people off.

Hell, even 2chan and 2ch aren't anime centric despite being Japanese. Sure, there are anime centric imageboards and textboards, but Veeky Forums isn't one of them despite moots original idea since FYAD fucked that idea up by trolling so hard they needed to have /a/ split off from /b/ (it was once anime/random and one board) because of the absolute holocaust on weeb asses due to the trolling. /a/ became so insular and clique due to said assblasting.

In short, no, faggot, Veeky Forums is not and never was "an anime imageboard".

>there's nothing comparable

Wrong, it's an extremely tight analogy.

>A description of Veeky Forums calls it a bulletin board with Japanese animation only mentioned as one of multiple different topics it covers
>A description of Pizza Hut calls it a restaurant chain with pizza only mentioned as one of multiple different foods it covers

good game, better luck next time

youtube.com/watch?v=9Cwu7KNsEn8

Anime was invented by the Romans. Late Roman art looked like anime.

>animators spend significant amount of time emulating the masters of various eras in master studies
>lol no influence

>unironically posting AMV's
>and a fucking "Keep Calm" image

Go back to facebook you insufferable gay.

I want to rape Blackjack.

Was it autism?

allah capbhar, I know it's your 'thing' but just end it with the all caps man it doens't even help your case.

>EGO SVM KAWAII?
>VGVVV

Not really, they're just being influenced by non-Americans. Disney is still widely recognized as being top-tier in terms of animation quality.

Calm down fag, you were too autistic to fake fight your friends. Its called playing.

basically kpop