In 1960 a Norse settlement was found in Newfoundland...

In 1960 a Norse settlement was found in Newfoundland. This was the final proof that Vikings discovered and colonized the Americas before Columbus. But this fact had already been known by Scandinavians for some centuries. In the year 2017, most people are still taught in school that Columbus discovered America. How can education be so fucking shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

theepochtimes.com/n3/1946376-exclusive-new-evidence-ancient-romans-may-have-made-it-to-oak-island-canada/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>In the year 2017, most people are still taught in school that Columbus discovered America.

source?

I think that the viking theory is tought as well and it is generally well known. But its really not that significant. After all ''native'' Americans discover the continent even earlier when migrating from asia.
What's significant about Colombus is that it lead to the unification of historical narrative between the old and new world and had immense influence on world history. The viking settlement is just a curious incident that had no continuation.

vikings coming to america is pretty cool but its completely inconsequential. Literally nothing came of it. The phrase "columbus discovered america" should be retired, but his arrival is far more important than that of the norse settlers.

Yeah well Vikings didn't discover America either

columbus did discober America for his own country and establiahed trade routes that lead to colonization.
Vikings did not cause they were retarded, true snowniggers.

One thing has been bothering me: why didn't the Norsecucks tell everyone else of what they found?

And what the fuck was Iceland doing during the Medieval Ages?

Why? Spain didnt know aboig america so columbus discobered it for them. thats what it means. Stop it with the cuckspeak.

The Norse colony failed. The Spanish managed to build a global empire through their American settlements. That is an essential difference.

It was the Romans who discovered America, not snowniggers: theepochtimes.com/n3/1946376-exclusive-new-evidence-ancient-romans-may-have-made-it-to-oak-island-canada/

Greeks and Romans had longships thousands of years before them.

Canuck here, we were always taught that the Vikings were the first Europeans to discover America but that Columbus was the first to really do something about it.

has the right idea.

I don't disagree, however i think there are better ways of saying it.
He discovered it for the people of his time but we know today that he wasn't the first one. I really don't have a huge problem with saying he discovered it, but it can give the false impression to a lot of people.

>a fucking leaf

They more than likely didn't realize it was a vast continent. To them it could of been just another icey shithole like Greenland.

>be Vikang
>land in America by accident by navigating by coast
>never expand your settlements beyond some isolated areas in the frozen wasteland part of Canada no one lives in
>never bring your findings to the rest of the Europe because you're an illiterate barbarian who doesn't keep any records
>surprised that people don't give a shit about your 'discovery' 1000+ years later.

Who said you could speak?

I did.

t. American

At least they are admitting they aren't different

I wish everyone browsing /int/ and /pol/ would spontanously combust. The boards quality would improve tenfold.

>Be Spaniard
>land in America by accident because you thought India was there
>Scandis have known this for centuries and even wriote two sagas about this but you're a retarded half-Moor who doesn't even know where Scandinavia is
>go rape and murder the locals, even the women and children
>Bring over hundreds of thousands more of your people to continue your genociding and raping
>fill your countries with niggers
>lose all your countries to nigers and half-breeds
>The Nordics are now richer, more technologically advanced and smarter than you
>They even found America before you
>The only thing you can do is make greentexts on historical anime imageboards to pretend you did something

>Columbus
>Spaniard

>columbus did discober America for his own country
Not at all. Columbus was Italian, and had immense problems getting funding for his travels. Though not, as popular would have you believe, because people thought the world was flat back then, but because everyone realized that his estimation for the size of the earth was way too small.

The Norse didn't really have contact with their colonies. When stories of Vinland started making their way back to Norway no one really knew what it actually was, and when the colony was lost no one learnt about it and even if they had they would probably not have been interested enough, or capable of, funding a new one.

>"The only thing you can do is make greentexts on historical anime imageboards to pretend you did something"
>greentexts a make believe story

you sure showed him.

>your
I don't think scandis care much. It's mostly about diminishing colombus accomplishments on account of the damages it caused for the natives.

Italian of Jewish descent.

They would have to tell children that the natives autistically screeched every Nord off of America, making it known that they weren't the holding hands Thanksgiving elves that Andrew Jackson boiled.

Ok? So now we can amend the statement to say, "Columbus was the first European to set up permanent settlements in the new world".

>it can give the false impression to a lot of people.
Fuck stupid people.

Any one have sources about the standing stones found around America? Is that any proof of further Nordic expansion?

>"native" Americans migrated to America on foot before Alaska seperated from Asia
>Vikings sailed with primitive ships from Europe and randomly discovered America
tell me which one sounds more impressive

Cause the Irish beat them to it.

how can either the vikings, or columbus discover america if there are already people living on it, you racist piece of shit

Seconded

The Norse in the continental Scandinavia knew about Vinland but didn't give a fuck. If they wanted to go to an impenetrable, never-ending forest swarming with hostile naked savages they could just sail to Finland.

There were written records about "Vinland" and about Erik Red and Leif Eriksson, but it couldn't be confirmed where Vinland was until they found this settlement.

>viking theory
If you say its a theory then you must believe that Scandinavians living in Scandinavia is an international conspiracy.
>curious incident
It demonstrates the Seafaring superiority of the Norsemen. They traveled in relatively small ships.
>completely inconsequential. Literally nothing came of it
Same for landing on the Moon and most of our scientific achievements, but they are achievements nonetheless.
>Romans
>Nordics
What's the difference lol?

I keked

>Columbus was Italian
he was spanish, catlan to be precise
>and had immense problems getting funding for his travels
so?

Honestly the former.

He was Italian. Genuan to be precise.

He was North Italic Alpine. Genoese to be precise.

That's what i said you dipshit.

roman ships were made for coastal waters.

>It demonstrates the Seafaring superiority of the Norsemen. They traveled in relatively small ships.

>Vikings sailed with primitive ships from Europe and randomly discovered America
lets be real nigga, everyone knows the vikings didnt just straight up cross the atlantic, they island hopped from iceland to greenland and then down
polynesians used the exact same strategy except they started earlier

he used a phrase recognized by people who aren't autistic, and added specificity to the phrase "Italian".

They're equally somewhat impressive. The Vikings sailed from Norway, to Iceland, to Greenland... and eventually to Newfoundland. It's kinda likely that if they were sailing around Greenland constantly, they'd eventually stumble across Newfoundland.

The Native Americans would have crossed a huge Ice field with hunter gatherer technology, not Viking shipbuilding technology.

The most impressive seafaring culture I can think of is the Polynesians, who fucking island hopped on basic raft/canoe technology all around the Pacific ocean.

Has no one ever thought about how nuts it is that they rode ocean currents on rafts from fucking Samoa or whatever, and made it all the way to Hawaii?

that theory doesn't hold water

What people tend to ignore or misunderstand is that there was no economic incentive involved. Even the Greenland colony was a harsh backwater at the end of a long trade route, the best thing they had was Walrus Tusk for use as Ivory, which was ended with the trade of Elephant ivory. If environmental conditions didn't get steadily worse and there were some form of technological advancement in ship technology that shortened the trip like the later Caravel a little earlier than definitely would expansion and exploration begin. The rich fishing grounds off the coast of the Maritimes were really valuable as were the furs abundant in the area.

why would they have attempted further penetration away from European markets?

They taught that it was the vikings in fucking 3rd grade for me

what do you mean "it was"?
it's not a vaxin you know?

what?

Do not forget that the Chinese visited Iceland circa 1421 (according to Christopher Columbus). And why did he name the Indian Ocean after native Americans?

I don't know if it's still true, but it's what I was taught in school and I was born in '92.

its not an invention, like haha we were first.
the vikings made a colony and failed.
the spanish craeted an empire. So they did discober it for the rest of Europe.

Vikings didn't impact shit in the Americas, that's why Columbus gets more credit.

OMMGG de JEUZ srsly DA JEUZ CONTROL DA WORLD!!!

Same for landing on the Moon?
That's not a correct correation, if it's literally the ONLY achievement in the field.
I bet Armstrong would be forgotten if another man started a colony on the moon, people would just say: yeah he put his feet there first...

>born in 92
Jesus, I have insecurities older than you

These people are related to Powhatan.
They discovered America.